Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-21, 12:30 PM  
Gams

Got the Speed Queen and so far, so good, but it was more expensive than the others I looked at.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-21, 12:36 PM  
fanofladyvols

I have gotten quite the sticker shock for all the appliances.

I'm not sure what the price difference is, if any, on the SQ and the Maytag.

Thanks for letting me know!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-21, 05:56 PM  
unfetteredpast

I may be a little late to the game, but I have a question for those of you with top loading, non-agitator washers: Do you have any issues with unbalanced loads? I have a Whirlpool top loader. I didn't buy it, it came with the house. I have trouble at least once per week with the load becoming unbalanced (complete with horrific thumping noise and the feeling that the whole machine is going to come crashing through the floor). I have to pause the washer, lean over and try to redistribute the items so that it is more balanced, restart it, and cross my fingers that I got it right. It happens most frequently with bed linens and towels.

I will be in the market for a new washer later this year (moving) and I am looking at a GE front loader that (supposedly) has a solution for avoiding mold on the door gasket. Top loaders with agitators are not an option.

Anyone have similar unbalanced situations?
unfetteredpast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-21, 06:39 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfetteredpast View Post
I may be a little late to the game, but I have a question for those of you with top loading, non-agitator washers: Do you have any issues with unbalanced loads? I have a Whirlpool top loader. I didn't buy it, it came with the house. I have trouble at least once per week with the load becoming unbalanced (complete with horrific thumping noise and the feeling that the whole machine is going to come crashing through the floor). I have to pause the washer, lean over and try to redistribute the items so that it is more balanced, restart it, and cross my fingers that I got it right. It happens most frequently with bed linens and towels.

I will be in the market for a new washer later this year (moving) and I am looking at a GE front loader that (supposedly) has a solution for avoiding mold on the door gasket. Top loaders with agitators are not an option.

Anyone have similar unbalanced situations?
We did with our last washing machine (I think it was a Whirlpool). It was awful - I felt like I had to babysit the machine while it was running because it would do the same as yours is doing. We have a Speed Queen now and love it.

ETA: ours did have an agitator, though.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-21, 09:26 AM  
frostyjan
VF Supporter

Spped Queen!

I love it and its easy to repair and gets clothes so clean!!

Speed Queen should be title!!

Last edited by frostyjan; 03-07-21 at 09:27 AM. Reason: spelling
frostyjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-21, 11:35 AM  
fanofladyvols

I went with the Maytag commercial. Don't have it yet but will update this thread once I have and have used it enough.

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
Old 03-07-21, 12:21 PM  
red1013

My LG washer died last summer, It was a little over 7 years old and would have cost about $500 to fix. The repairman said that they just don't make machines to last anymore, 7-10 years is about all you can expect.

When I went to buy another, the supply was extremely limited because of Covid. I ended up with a Maytag Commercial. It's a little smaller than my old one, fewer bells and whistles, but it works well. I doubt I'll ever buy another pricey washer.
Old 03-07-21, 12:41 PM  
fanofladyvols

Lori, that's good to hear about the Maytag! Thanks!

Old 10-11-21, 03:34 PM  
LAC

Old Thread Alert

Bringing back this discussion about washers from 2020.

Our Frigidaire front loader has started leaking and my floor now gets an unintended bath every time I run a load of laundry. Today I called our local, independent appliance store to set up a service call and they told me they won't even send a repairman out to have a look because for one thing, they doubt that they can get parts for a machine that is so old (apparently a 10 year old washer is ancient), and also their position is that it doesn't make economic sense to fix a machine they consider to be at the end of its life expectancy - that even if they fixed what is wrong today, they are fairly certain that something else would would go wrong shortly thereafter.

So I guess I am washer shopping. I don't want another front loader. I've had two and both of them have had the stink issue, even when the door is left open.

It looks like a top-loader Speed Queen is the popular choice in the prior responses. Can anybody share a model number? I'm interested in the no frills, non-digital, knobs only version. Also, where did you purchase it? Our local appliance shop doesn't carry that brand.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-21, 04:07 PM  
Leonana

I’m sorry I don’t have any recommendations, but wanted to say wow! They don’t even fix a 10 year old washer anymore?

We have a 13 year old Whirlpool. A few years ago, a repairman told me not to get rid of it, as they don’t make them that well anymore. He said manufacturers did it deliberately to make people buy washers more often.

The agitator stopped working recently, and I knew a repairman would be pretty expensive. Fortunately, we could still buy the parts at a local appliance parts store. The salesman told me what we probably needed, and dh watched some you tube videos on how to repair it. My washer is fixed! I am grateful dh is handy, and that it’s a non-digital knob style.

The only issue is that dh didn’t put a belt back on, he said it was worn. The belt deadens the noise so it’s a lot louder. But it works!

Tags
washers, washing machines