Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-04-14, 06:32 AM  
dmlarue1

Giving up on planned rotations or d plans?

Hi all
I have come to conclusion that anytime I have to restrict myself to a certain plan something in my brain goes haywire!! For example
I tried to do classical stretch bootcamp. I lasted 3 weeks and I love classical stretch but I started to feel burnt out. But it's not just classical stretch it's any rotation that doesn't have enough variety. I still haven't gotten back to Pilates because when I first started I did it so much that I burnt out on it.
Same thing with d$&@ plans, if I restrict too much what I eat I just want to eat everything.
So I am giving up! Everyday I am just going to try to eat healthy and move.
Last night I got home and was so tired I didn't feel like I could do a full workout so I just did 25 minutes of cs, then I checked in with myself, nope still tired; so I went to bed, today I feel so much better. In past I would push myself regardless of how I felt.
I am trying to be more understanding and compassionate of my body; instead of punishing it. Also I am going to trust that my body will tell me what to do. Surprisingly it isn't always lazy! The other day I wanted I do a more intense yoga practice.
dmlarue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-14, 11:16 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

I've only completed 2 rotations as written. I enjoyed both of them, but would not do something that regimented in the future. Plus, it took me forever to want to do any of the individual workouts in these rotations again. Even if I buy programs that are supposed to be done as a planned rotation, I use the workouts as I see fit.

I like having the structure of a rotation, but I get really tired of the same instructor for 60/90/108 days. So I create rotations using a variety of workouts that I already have, and that works fine.

The big thing I gave up on is the idea of "fitting it all in." Long ago I decided that for me, yoga or bodyweight exercises, plus walking, would constitute the heart of my fitness routine. I do other things too (strength training) and I ride my bike sometimes, but I'm quite happy with bodyweight/yoga plus walking.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-14, 12:11 PM  
Breezy Trousers

I've only been able to successfully complete a rotation with the help of other people (check-ins, class, or DH). Left to my own devices, I get bored with rotations by the third week. I do better creating my own loosely structured "rotation" and plugging in whatever makes me happy that day. Also, I'm similar to eam531 in that, when I do workouts in strict rotation, I eventually grow sick of the workouts and don't want to do them again.

I think it's better to be happy and consistent than to push, push, push yourself or to force yourself to conform to VF bandwagon rotations that really aren't your style. Sometimes I feel embarrassed that I still enjoy certain, older workouts because they aren't as "hip" or "tough" as P90x, Insanity, Body Beast, etc. I try to remember that I had my best results when I got injured last summer and could only handle easy Firms and walks. I healed my shoulder injury, maintained very nice muscle tone and watched the scale go down by several pounds in one month. After attending weeks of live Body Pump classes, those were not the results I expected! Intensity isn't all it's cracked up to be.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-14, 12:34 PM  
PennyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlarue1 View Post
Hi all
I have come to conclusion that anytime I have to restrict myself to a certain plan something in my brain goes haywire!! For example
I tried to do classical stretch bootcamp. I lasted 3 weeks and I love classical stretch but I started to feel burnt out. But it's not just classical stretch it's any rotation that doesn't have enough variety. I still haven't gotten back to Pilates because when I first started I did it so much that I burnt out on it.
Same thing with d$&@ plans, if I restrict too much what I eat I just want to eat everything.
So I am giving up! Everyday I am just going to try to eat healthy and move.
Last night I got home and was so tired I didn't feel like I could do a full workout so I just did 25 minutes of cs, then I checked in with myself, nope still tired; so I went to bed, today I feel so much better. In past I would push myself regardless of how I felt.
I am trying to be more understanding and compassionate of my body; instead of punishing it. Also I am going to trust that my body will tell me what to do. Surprisingly it isn't always lazy! The other day I wanted I do a more intense yoga practice.
I can totally relate to everything you said!!! Love the last paragraph and that is also what i am trying to do too!!!
PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-14, 01:11 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

This is why I the Look Great in 8 rotation. It gives you a pattern of the types of workouts to do (shorter/longer duration, different types of cardio and strength, etc.), but you can then find the video workouts to fit those criteria. It's the only rotation I've ever completed.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-14, 01:16 PM  
PhyllisG

I love rotations. Keeps me motivated. I hate messing up my calendar. Most recently I completed 21 Day, followed by FeFit's summer challenge, Physique57's summer rotation and am now doing Barre3 28 to Great. No hesitating trying to decide and I like to do the workouts the way they were designed to be done. I find I stay consistent and get results.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-14, 02:38 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I rebel against too much regimentation. When I'm doing rotations, I will sometimes throw in an odd workout or two. That gets the rebellion out of my system and I'm usually able to go back to the rotation.

I have had to quit a few rotations because of injuries and that is really frustrating, especially if you're just starting to get results.
Old 09-04-14, 09:43 PM  
bzbnmom

I think you should do what works best for you. Listening to your body is very important. As for myself, I do best with a rotation of the type of workouts that I like. It keeps me motivated and consistent. I can occasionally sub in a different workout, skip a rest day, take an extra rest day, whatever... but I need a plan.

I've had an injury and it's thrown me way off, made me very inconsistent. I started Body Beast for upper body only (physical therapy for torn Achilles tendon) and just having that schedule has helped me a lot. Now I need to fill in those other days with other workouts since I'm progressing nicely with my rehab and I'm not quite where I want to be with my consistency yet.

I think it's great that you can be consistent without a specific plan. If I don't have a plan I get lazy.
bzbnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-14, 02:03 AM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

This reminds me of other discussions in the long ago, hazy, early times of VF.

I recall one in particular--long lost to many software iterations--about step workouts. It was something like "are you up and down or round and round?" and was a long talk about why some people liked basic step and others wanted choreography, choreography, and more choreography! No TIFFTing, please.

Now this makes me wonder--no, never mind. OK, just wonder. Whether people who like less choreographed, "non-dancy" in the terminology of the time, workouts also prefer rotations and find them useful as a structure for their exercise plan. It's nice to know what you're supposed to do on a particular day and check it off, put a sticker on the calendar, or enter it on your spreadsheet. Cardio, strength, stretch, check.

Other folks prefer less of a drill or repetitive type of workout, enjoying a different type of challenge putting moves together in a sequence just for the joy of movement, the workout benefits almost being secondary. I'm curious what the relationship is between the people who enjoy those workouts and their feelings toward rotations.

I've never successfully completed a single rotation, no matter how much I might like a particular instructor or system. I get bored bored bored and can't stand it any more. I love choreography and variety, and get in a workout 28 days out of 30, keeping a balance in mind but doing what feels right on a given day.

Whatever keeps us all going. The differences are intriguing.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-14, 08:21 AM  
Kyra

My opinion when it comes to rotations/plans is that if you want a specific result, you need a specific plan, and you need to track what you do to make sure you are progressing in the direction you want. No tracking, no measuring, and you are just exercising. Which is fine, but again, if you want A Result, just doing a "plan" and hoping for the best isn't going to cut it.

That said, if you are going for overall fitness/health, I think what you do is far less important than doing something consistently. If rotations help you there, go for it. If not, don't worry about it.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote