Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-14-14, 06:31 PM  
Demeris

I was gone for two months this summer, but I tried to keep as close to the same routine I have at home in the hotels where I stayed. I get up early. Early. 4:15-4:30 AM. I have a cup of coffee and read my email, check what's happened in the world overnight. Then I do a dvd, something I chose the night before. While I was traveling, I cycled between t-tapp & classical stretch, with some Nicky McGinty ballet, Lastics I, & TA Mat thrown in randomly. If I felt up to it or had time in the evening, I did 2-3 miles with Leslie--that was harder because I didn't want to disturb any hotel guest below me, but I did that at least 3Xs a week.

My routine at home is much the same, although I have far more dvds to choose from, and I like to do a weighted workout at least once a week. But I get up early, drink some coffee, then do my workout, which will be either barre, t-tapp, or CS/Essentrics.

After breakfast, now that I'm home, I feed the animals and work in the garden. Both of these are cardio and weight bearing activities. When my outside and inside chores are done, I turn to my projects and work on them until 1 or 2, and if I feel like it, I'll do some cardio--Leslie or Jessica Smith or some other cardio, either easier or harder than Leslie & Jessica, depending on how hard the outdoor work was.

My life since retirement (except for the consulting work I did the last two months) has become much more physically demanding (I had to get chicken feed on Monday, and that meant slinging a 50 pound bag around, as well, as carrying it half an acre from my car to the chicken run).
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-14, 09:41 AM  
Kyra

Right now my primary goal is to get through graduate school. I am a long time runner and usually fit my training around some planned races, but I have found it difficult to maintain a coherent racing schedule AND do grad school, so I've let that go for now. What I do currently:

Walk or run daily - lately more walking than running
Lift weights (gym program) 3 - 4 days a week
Martial arts classes - varies per week, 2 - 6 classes (I teach and I take classes)
Yoga 1 day a week (class at a studio)

Activity keeps me sane.

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-14, 10:52 AM  
Sophie

First of all, welcome to VF! There's a great variety of women here with different goals and interests!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
I thought about this thread for a day or so before answering because I can't honestly say I have "goals". Maybe I should re-word that.... I don't have weight loss goals, or looking any different type goals. I'm pretty much where I want to be at this point. I do want to continue to maintain my fitness, flexibility and strength as I age.
I'm kind of like Jeanne Marie - I'm more or less content with many things, but my primary concern is to maintain fitness as I age, and continue to rehabilitate the chronic injuries I've developed over the years, as well as some challenges posed by menopause. At 51, I'm not one of those "fitter than ever!" people. I've declined in ability to exercise intensely and for long durations compared to my bulletproof 20's. Being in denial about this is what has led to injuries. So I need to keep that in mind and respect my body while keeping it moving.

Right now, I'm coming off a 6 week hiatus, other than walking while on vacation, so I'm going to focus on strength/endurance for a while. So, mostly Tonique for about six weeks (with easy cardio like walking and cycling, plus yoga thrown in) because it improves my endurance quickly, allows building of a good base level of strength, and is good for my joints (with modification). Then I'll re-evaluate at the end of that period.

I like lifting heavy-ish (NROL, Strong Curves, D2S style) too and enjoyed doing that earlier this year. I'll probably get back to it again either late fall or next January.

eta: so I guess I don't worry about doing *everything* all at once, but I end up covering most bases over the course of a year. Rinse and repeat.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman

Last edited by Sophie; 08-20-14 at 10:55 AM. Reason: horrible grammar, usage
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-14, 10:59 AM  
PennyK

Thanks Sophie

I really do feel like i'm in great company here and have learned so much from all of you wonderful vfer's as my fitness journey as just begun, i'm only sad that i did'nt start sooner!!!
PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-14, 11:05 AM  
Sophie

I should probably add that it's not just women! There are a couple of male posters here too. Can't forget them - sorry guys!

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote