Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-18-13, 11:04 AM  
ilovemygreatdane

All I can say is that I would have never paid any attention to Dasha before this little drama. Thanks to whoever posted the link. She looks like fun.
ilovemygreatdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-13, 11:27 AM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by edensmom View Post
I have seen a lot of "why was this thread even started?" or "people with negative opinions should not post on this thread" type of stuff lately. Not this thread specifically, just generally.
Right, I was thinking in that sort of generality as well edensmom.

For example, and I don't mean to pick on you specifically BunnyHop, I just want to point out what I'm talking about as an example. To me, there is nothing wrong with this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
I guess we disagree, then, about the level of personal or professional criticism likely intended.

I really do feel that people are reading WAY more into her remark than she ever intended, (snip)
It's not as though she wrote a book including genuine insults and put downs of other instructors (which people have done). Even if she did that, is it really worth getting upset about?
Cool, sure. I can dig it.

Quote:
and that they should let themselves ponder why they're taking it so personally. One random comment? Really?
This not so much. The sort of comments that seem meant to make the opposing view seem foolish or stupid, or outright shaming on the threads has, I would think, quite a chilling effect on the conversation overall at VF in general. Just my opinion, though.
Old 08-18-13, 11:28 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemygreatdane View Post
All I can say is that I would have never paid any attention to Dasha before this little drama. Thanks to whoever posted the link. She looks like fun.
Me, either! I like the look of her workouts, but she talks waaayyyy too much for my taste, and I didn't like that the backgrounders were all doing something sort of different/moving at different speeds. I suppose some were showing modifications and maybe she encourages them to go that their own pace, but it looked really confusing to me. Still, I like the idea of fusion/lightweight KB workouts. Maybe if she makes another one, I'd consider it.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-13, 11:44 AM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemygreatdane View Post
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Me, either! I like the look of her workouts, but she talks waaayyyy too much for my taste, and I didn't like that the backgrounders were all doing something sort of different/moving at different speeds. I suppose some were showing modifications and maybe she encourages them to go that their own pace, but it looked really confusing to me. Still, I like the idea of fusion/lightweight KB workouts. Maybe if she makes another one, I'd consider it.
She supposedly listened to consumers & toned it down on this new set.

I love both - Dasha for cardio, Lauren for strength

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-13, 12:31 PM  
desderata

Well, to be fair to bunnyhop, below is her first comment on this thread:

Originally Posted by BunnyHop
"I'm not sure I understand why people are reading that comment as some sort of personal bash against another instructor."

And here is the response she received to that comment:

"It's because she unnecessarily called out another instructor's product by linking to it and said, in a nutshell, "my workouts are so NOT this". It's a huge turnoff and does come off as arrogant, snarky, elitist etc. All she needs to do as say what her product is and why it's good, if it is. And she can certainly say what it's not, but please do so without taking a jab at someone else's work. It's tacky and rude."

To me, that response seems argumentative in response to an innocuous comment. It could easily be read to imply bunnyhop is totally missing a very important and obvious point, not simply having a difference of opinion. What was quoted from bunnyhop a few posts above is in response to this.
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-13, 12:43 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Well, the bottom line is that some people were turned off enough to vow never to buy Lauren's workouts again. Whether or not that's 'valid' or an over-reaction, if they go through with it, that is lost revenue for Lauren. It has certainly resulted in increased exposure for Dasha.

Once Lauren realized how people were taking her original comment, she could have handled the situation better. Telling people they were 'reading too much into it' was kind of passive-aggressive, and I can appreciate how that would leave a bad taste in people's mouths. I don't know that it would bother me enough to swear off her workouts forever, but that's just me.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-13, 04:19 PM  
suegy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Her new workouts have a music only option. She was also very receptive to our complaints about her chattiness. I really like her attitude and wanting to give the consumer what they want while creating good workouts. She seems to have a great attitude.
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-13, 07:31 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by suegy3 View Post
Her new workouts have a music only option. She was also very receptive to our complaints about her chattiness. I really like her attitude and wanting to give the consumer what they want while creating good workouts. She seems to have a great attitude.
Well, in that case, her second series is back on my radar! I think her fusion of kettlebells and kickboxing is great, but I can only do her workouts with the sound off, and while playing my own music. The first series was well captioned, so that made the "Dasha-off" option work.
Old 08-18-13, 07:58 PM  
suegy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
Well, in that case, her second series is back on my radar! I think her fusion of kettlebells and kickboxing is great, but I can only do her workouts with the sound off, and while playing my own music. The first series was well captioned, so that made the "Dasha-off" option work.
She's having a great presale now so you might want to hop on it. I can't even afford the presale right now. Gotta watch my pennies.
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-13, 09:53 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by suegy3 View Post
She's having a great presale now so you might want to hop on it.
I don't believe it!

I thought I'd do a dummy order to see if the KBKB people have resolved the problem which prevented me from ordering the first series from them (the drop down menu for the Australian states leaves out a few States and Territories).

My state still doesn't show.

I posted about this on VF back then, and bee1forfitness very kindly contacted Dasha via Facebook on my behalf, and Dasha responded, "Tell your friend that my people will contact her today!"

Never heard back, and I know they have my email address because I kept getting spam from Sifu Dan Anderson, Dasha's husband. It took me three attempts to "unsubcribe" - not that I ever subscribed in the first place.

[Flings a few kettlebells around in disgust]

I'll save my pennies until the second series goes on sale at Mary's (I see it's already available for preorder.)

Hmmpf!

Just adding that I like Lauren Brooks too. I'll overlook her ill-considered remarks just as I'll overlook Dasha's lousy customer service if I decide to buy her second series - which I probably will.

Tags
dasha, dasha libin, kettlebell kickboxing, lauren brooks