Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-04-11, 11:54 AM  
Rhonda

heavy bag question

Hubby and I are looking at getting a heavy bag and he was wondering what the different weights mean? Is it the heaviness of the bag? The heavier the better? Any opinions?

Thanks
Rhonda
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-11, 12:37 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
Hubby and I are looking at getting a heavy bag and he was wondering what the different weights mean? Is it the heaviness of the bag? The heavier the better? Any opinions?
Definitely the heavier the better. A lightweight bag won't have the density to enable you to punch really hard, plus it will move around a lot which would be frustrating. I would advise you to buy the best you can afford.

My standing bag is roughly the same height, weight and density as a male super-heavyweight boxer - about 6 foot tall and 220 pounds (ask me how I know about the density).
Old 03-04-11, 12:57 PM  
spufflez

Does the heavy bag stand on its own, or is it hooked into your ceiling?
spufflez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-11, 01:02 PM  
RedPanda

Mine is a standing bag - I have a small workout area and those hanging bags need a lot of space.

Here's a photo.
Old 03-04-11, 02:41 PM  
kali1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanda View Post
Definitely the heavier the better. A lightweight bag won't have the density to enable you to punch really hard, plus it will move around a lot which would be frustrating. I would advise you to buy the best you can afford.

My standing bag is roughly the same height, weight and density as a male super-heavyweight boxer - about 6 foot tall and 220 pounds (ask me how I know about the density).
I'll ask! How did you discover it?

Your bag looks great. I thought though standing bags weren't considered a good sub for a hanging bag?
kali1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-11, 03:29 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by kali1 View Post
I'll ask! How did you discover it?
http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=144513

Quote:
Your bag looks great. I thought though standing bags weren't considered a good sub for a hanging bag?
Depends on how much room you have - if you punch a hanging bag really hard, it will swing out four feet or more. You can get a very intense workout with a standing bag. Notice how the blurb for my bag says "mimics human movement" - it will still move away from you, just not as far.
Old 03-04-11, 03:38 PM  
kali1

Quote:
That's awesome!

Quote:
Depends on how much room you have - if you punch a hanging bag really hard, it will swing out four feet or more. You can get a very intense workout with a standing bag. Notice how the blurb for my bag says "mimics human movement" - it will still move away from you, just not as far.
This is good to know. Since I don't have a lot of room, I think I'll go with a standing bag myself. I like the looks of yours.

Thanks!!
Old 03-04-11, 03:42 PM  
kali1

Quote:
Mine is a standing bag - I have a small workout area and those hanging bags need a lot of space.

Here's a photo.
Hey RedPanda, I don't see where you can order this from the companys website. What's the name of the bag. I'll see if I can find it elsewhere
Old 03-04-11, 03:45 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Hey RedPanda, I don't see where you can order this from the companys website. What's the name of the bag. I'll see if I can find it elsewhere
It's Australian, but the specifications would give you an idea of what to look for.

Tags
boxing, heavy bag