Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-26-10, 10:03 AM  
A-Bot
VF Supporter

Olajide's Everlast

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to the forum but have been reading your post for a few weeks now. Has anyone tried Michael Olajide's Advanced Boxing Workout from Everlast? Or the Beginners one? I adore his workouts - they are my absolute favorite - but I'm wondering if this is more of an instructional DVD and not so much of a workout. Anybody know? Thanks so much for your time either way. Take care.
A-Bot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-10, 12:25 PM  
JBliff

I have had these DVDs for about a year and have only looked at the beginners one. It's pretty much all instructional (teaching you how to wrap your hands, for example). Supposedly there's a workout somewhere on the DVD but I haven't found it yet (IIRC there is no chaptering). I have not looked at the advanced DVD.
JBliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-10, 12:57 PM  
A-Bot
VF Supporter

Thank you so much, Very helpful info!
Old 09-26-10, 01:43 PM  
RedPanda

I bought the Advanced workout over two years ago when I bought my heavy bag, and started re-using it a few weeks ago after my boxing classes finished. It's primarily an instructional DVD, but you can use segments of it as a follow-along workout which is what I do. (I don't have the Beginners DVD.)

The Advanced DVD is very well chaptered from the main menu and covers everything from wrapping your hands, to tutorials on the punches, to shadow boxing, heavy bag workouts, pad work (with a partner), core work, skipping, a med ball workout, and stretching.

There are four rounds of shadow boxing, and four rounds of heavy bag boxing which follow the same movement pattern. The shadow boxing has good music with the right beat to follow along, and Michael cues the heavy bag rounds so that I can follow while my back is towards the TV. I repeat the rounds to make up a 20-minute boxing sweatfest.

I think these are good instructional DVDs for newbie boxers, and as I mentioned, you can use segments as follow-along workouts. The only disappointment for me was the med ball section which uses very conventional exercises; I was expecting something a bit more creative. I bought the DVD mainly for the heavy bag segments, as there aren't too many heavy bag workouts available.

When my boxing classes finished, I wondered if I should sell or trade this DVD, but found that it has a place in my collection. It's very motivational - the title segment between the chapters has very evocative music with an out-of-focus shot of two boxers beating the snot out of each other - always gets me in the right mood!
Old 09-26-10, 01:48 PM  
A-Bot
VF Supporter

Hi RedPanda!

Wow! Thank you so much for this detailed description, very appreciated! That's great - I may still get it, but I'll be aware it's not really a full "workout DVD" so i won't be disappointed. It still sounds worthwhile though - especially since boxing is my absolute fav workout. Can't thank you enough! Take care!
Old 09-26-10, 01:50 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bot View Post
Hi RedPanda!

Wow! Thank you so much for this detailed description, very appreciated! That's great - I may still get it, but I'll be aware it's not really a full "workout DVD" so i won't be disappointed. It still sounds worthwhile though - especially since boxing is my absolute fav workout. Can't thank you enough! Take care!
No worries - as we say in Australia!
Old 09-26-10, 02:04 PM  
hedygs
VF Supporter

I have this one on my trade list if you want to take a look.
hedygs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aerobox, boxing, everlast, michael olajide, olajide, training