Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-17, 07:22 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

After years of doing studio Pilates, I'm now somewhere without a Pilates studio, much less a good one, and have an old injury that's making it hard to do a bunch of basic Pilates moves. So I decided it was time to start doing yoga. Though I'm not quite ready for them, I found decent deals on Erich Shiffmann's Backyard Series: Beginning Yoga and Yoga Mind and Body. Figured if I was going to do yoga I had to have those.

I also finally got The Firm's Cardio Step Mix in Mary's sale before last. I've wanted this since I borrowed another VFer's VHS tape to do one of the VF January Firm 90 Day Rotations years ago.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-17, 10:33 AM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenJo View Post
Though I'm not quite ready for them, I found decent deals on Erich Shiffmann's Backyard Series: Beginning Yoga and Yoga Mind and Body. Figured if I was going to do yoga I had to have those.
Ohhhh, what a wonderful choice. Backyard Beginning Yoga is long, but be aware, it works well to do part of it. You can either start at the beginning and do as much as you have time/energy/desire for, or you can do the warm-up sequence and then pick from the pose menu. Definitely try the shoulder sequence; it's later in the workout, but it is so delicious.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-17, 05:46 PM  
KarenJo
VF Supporter

Thanks, Laura. I have previewed Backyard Beginner and it looks delicious. I'm looking forward to trying the whole long routine at some point. But the suggestion to do the warm up and then select some poses to do is great, especially while I'm learning.

I also got Rodney Yee's Yoga for Back Care, mostly for the on-the-beach location. Will be perfect for those 100+F days here in the summer.

From Request the Wealth I got Patricia Walden's Yoga for Beginners for it's copious pose instruction. As with other areas, I'm finding more availability of basic and introductory stuff in older videos.

I now have a doctor's order to never again do push ups (yippee!)
KarenJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-17, 07:46 AM  
Sandrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
i just looked that up because of your post. apparently, there's a cardio, a blast off, and a toning one. do you like the others?

i love broadway music!
I've only previewed the others, but they all have the same happy, fun, show-biz vibe. Iirc, Blast-off is shorter, kind of like a warm-up or"get-started" w/o. I LOVE this set, for warm-up, cool-down, or days when I just don't have it in me to jump around alot! They're fun and energizing, and, like you, I love the music!
Sandrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-17, 08:10 AM  
TinaT

Just last week I found:

Winsor Pilates: All for $8.00
3 dvd set, like new.
Power Sculpting -sealed
Power Sculpting Buns & Thighs - sealed
Sculpting Circle Advanced - sealed

These are probably "oldies" to some, but new to me.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-17, 10:20 AM  
Marilyn

Crunch Complete Bootcamp with 4 workouts which include:
Bootcamp Training
Fat Burning Ab Attack
Belly Butt and Thighs Bootcamp
Fat Burning Blast

Years ago these workouts I would have turned up my nose at these workouts as too easy, too much whooping. But I don't want to beat myself up anymore. The music is motivating and I can set aside the whooping and the workouts are just right as far as making me feel good and worked out without feeling wiped out. I also have gotten some Crunch yoga DVD's and revisited Kendall Kogan's one with weights.
Marilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-17, 04:30 PM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

I just found Gin's "The Power Workout" at a book sale. Sometimes I just love an "up up down down" step workout
Old 09-18-17, 05:34 PM  
seagreen01
VF Supporter

I missed out on or bypassed Petra Kolber years ago so I bought Streamlined Strength from 2006 at Mary's sale and Step by Step Strength a few weeks before that. I really like her in the old fashioned group fitness instructor way. Not many group fitness instructors left who invent their own choreographed classes any more.

Other recent oldies have been Sharron Mann Circuit Training 2002
Weight Watchers Next Move with Michelle Dozois
Janis Saffell and Scott Cole in Tai Chi Balanced Workout 2005. That one is different, talk about chemistry.....

I'm loving the oldies, such a refreshing change from all the Hiit.
seagreen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-17, 01:27 AM  
fanofladyvols

Thumbs up Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopsy View Post
I just found Gin's "The Power Workout" at a book sale. Sometimes I just love an "up up down down" step workout
I bet I would love that workout!

On Sunday, I found Step it Off at my local used bookstore with Dozois and York.

They refer to it in the intro as Breakthru Step.

If I ever had this, I must have traded it away, but it is familiar and lovely ( like a well-worn quilt )

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-17, 06:30 AM  
sherry7899

Fanofladyvols- glad to see you back on VF!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
oldies but goodies, vintage videos