Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-07-13, 06:12 PM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzie View Post
Yes! I use mine to hold my stability ball or barre balls
Oh, great idea!
I also bought one for the Pure Barre Lowry Loft workout, which I'm not using. I think the ring must be behind the meditation chair with, um, some other stuff.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-13, 06:15 PM  
Gancho Girl

Quote:
Now that's interesting! I like the idea of using the ring to maintain proper alignment and muscle engagement without all that squeezing (I feel the same way about using the ball in barre workouts too - the squeezing just seems like an easy way to make the workout "killer" without any real purpose or creativity).
Precisely!! Try this: A basic ring squeeze with your thighs.

The way I've seen it a thousand times - ring between your legs, just above knee height. Now squeeze the life out of it.

How I do it now - making sure you maintain neural spine, as you exhale focus on bringing your sit bones together, getting the muscles to wrap around the thigh. Use the imagery of the wrapping if it helps. To check if this is happening, put your hands in the crease where your thigh meets the front of the pelvis; if you're wrapping from the glutes, you'll feel the muscles engage under your hands. As you inhale, release the pressure frmo the ring by widening the sit bones.

You'll still feel your inner thighs work, but rather than squeezing the ring to try to make it an oval, the change in the ring's shape should be quite small.

Experiment with that and report back...

---
http://livingroomathlete.blogspot.com/

Disclosure statement: I am a facilitator for Misty Tripoli's THE GROOVE and a Pilates instructor.
Gancho Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-13, 07:43 PM  
pumptmuscle

I have a dvd on my trade list that has a pilates ring workout and a foam roller workout if anyone's interested.

"We all have our own issues" - Lashaun Dale

"Hi, I'm Billy Blanks and welcome to Tae Bo" Billy Blanks - Tae Bo

** 50 time marathoner
** 15 time ultramarathoner (the longest was 40 miles)
** All time high scorer at Blast Billiards
pumptmuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-13, 07:46 PM  
sherry7899

A generous VF'er gave me hers when she did not use it.....then I barely used it and gave it away to another VF'er. It was hard to find a box for mailing for that thing! I can't even remember who I got it from in the first place.
Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-13, 08:21 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
A generous VF'er gave me hers when she did not use it.....then I barely used it and gave it away to another VF'er. It was hard to find a box for mailing for that thing! I can't even remember who I got it from in the first place.
Sherry
Funny enough, I never used mine so I sold it on yayas a few years ago.... and lo' and behold, went back to the store and bought another exactly like it a year or so later.... (um, and I reacquired all my pilates ring dvds, b/c I'd parted with them, too.)
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-13, 09:43 AM  
TinaT

I checked out BG newest releases at Mary's site and I must say, they look like some of her best routines yet. For the price, you get a nice variety to choose from as well. These have definitely gone on my wishlist at the exchange.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-13, 10:25 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Yes! I use mine to hold my stability ball or barre balls
What a great idea! I never use my ring for its intended use. Maybe I will get rid of my step and risers. I think the only thing preventing me from selling it is that I use the risers to hold my stability ball (which I also never use come to think of it!) So much equipment collecting dust.. that's what happens when you get into kettlebells.

Leslie

ETA: I have the winsor pilates advanced sculpting circle workout on share the wealth.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-13, 11:21 AM  
hotncmom

I've been doing a bit more Pilates lately, using the ring with the Winsor 20 minute circle workout and the new Bernadette Giorgi Live DVD (one of the workouts is a circle w/o).
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-13, 12:00 PM  
workoutjunkie

I use mine when I do KV's Total Body Training, but that's about the only time. However, I may start to use it when other instructors such as Cathe squeeze a stability ball between their legs for inner thigh work.
workoutjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-13, 12:40 PM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gancho Girl View Post
Precisely!! Try this: A basic ring squeeze with your thighs.

The way I've seen it a thousand times - ring between your legs, just above knee height. Now squeeze the life out of it.

How I do it now - making sure you maintain neural spine, as you exhale focus on bringing your sit bones together, getting the muscles to wrap around the thigh. Use the imagery of the wrapping if it helps. To check if this is happening, put your hands in the crease where your thigh meets the front of the pelvis; if you're wrapping from the glutes, you'll feel the muscles engage under your hands. As you inhale, release the pressure frmo the ring by widening the sit bones.

You'll still feel your inner thighs work, but rather than squeezing the ring to try to make it an oval, the change in the ring's shape should be quite small.

Experiment with that and report back...
That is really wonderful. Thank you GG!

In my earlier post I forgot to mention that I sometimes substitute the ring when instructors use the large stability ball, which I find too big/bulky/heavy for some moves. For instance, in the original Dream Body workout, Darby does a long series with the stability ball and I found that the ring worked much better for me - better hip alignment, less pressure on my back, etc.
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pilates band, pilates circle, pilates circle challenge, pilates ring