Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-20, 08:09 AM  
MARIKA

This Pandemic thing?

I was wondering how you all are doing w/ the Corona? I've been working all through this since it started. I must admit at times and lately I'm starting to really get overwhelmed and freaked out by all the uncertainty. It's like the ones in charge and who should know, don't know anything at all.
Old 07-14-20, 08:52 AM  
bubbles76

You are definitely not alone. We had a thread here that Vintage VFer started to discuss our frustrations and feelings. We also had another thread that discussed ways people were coping, such as binge watching comfort tv and limiting news time. I will see if I can find those threads and post the links here..
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
Old 07-14-20, 11:40 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
You are definitely not alone. We had a thread here that Vintage VFer started to discuss our frustrations and feelings. We also had another thread that discussed ways people were coping, such as binge watching comfort tv and limiting news time. I will see if I can find those threads and post the links here..
as bubbles referred to - click on tags below to see what VFers have been posting.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 07-14-20, 12:46 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIKA View Post
I was wondering how you all are doing w/ the Corona? I've been working all through this since it started. I must admit at times and lately I'm starting to really get overwhelmed and freaked out by all the uncertainty. It's like the ones in charge and who should know, don't know anything at all.
Here is the thread I started on March 8th:

httphttp://forum.videofitness.com/sh...hp?t=228036://

It does seem to be a different ball game now. I am still freaked out and worried. I hoped the virus would abate with the summer heat. Not happening so far.

Now, I have the additional weight of disappointment. I'm incredibly frustrated with and disappointed in "my fellow Americans" who think the virus is a scam. A bunch of whining, selfish babies who don't want to wear masks or social distance.

Sacrificing for the greater good no longer has meaning in this country.

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 07-14-20, 01:18 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
Here is the thread I started on March 8th:

httphttp://forum.videofitness.com/sh...hp?t=228036://

It does seem to be a different ball game now. I am still freaked out and worried. I hoped the virus would abate with the summer heat. Not happening so far.

Now, I have the additional weight of disappointment. I'm incredibly frustrated with and disappointed in "my fellow Americans" who think the virus is a scam. A bunch of whining, selfish babies who don't want to wear masks or social distance.

Sacrificing for the greater good no longer has meaning in this country.

I can't say that I'm afraid or freaked out, just sad and confused that anyone would think the virus is a "hoax." Who would benefit from it? Some imaginary terrorist group or perhaps aliens from outer space? The last sentence is obviously tongue in cheek, but I genuinely don't understand a point of view that is supported by no credible evidence.

ITA with the bolded parts. I had no illusion that the virus would dissipate in the heat given the reluctance of those who refused to follow guidelines. And the belligerent attitudes are disappointing as well. I saw an interview with someone who said "If we had just all done the whole masks, distancing, etc. thing from the beginning we would have a handle on it by now." This says it all, IMHO. Short term "sacrifice" (and I use that term loosely, since really not much of a sacrifice required to stay home IMO) for long term gain. Now people who were called back to work are out of work again since things are shutting down once more with even more impact on our economy. ***sigh*** I'm just very sad for all of us.

So I am doing the best I can to limit my exposure to the whole of humanity. It's much better for my mental outlook.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
Old 07-14-20, 01:45 PM  
CharM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
vent:
Yes! A sibling of mine refuses to follow recommendations. He and his wife and continue to get together for parties and camping with friends and family. They first said it was not a big deal, then "the pandemic's over". One of her family members is sick from it, and is getting better, but they don't seem to care. (they didn't bother to tell my parents about it, either) It bugs me because they continue to visit our parents. They're supposed to take care of the elderly not possibly expose them. It's frustrating.

My county was doing well, then all of a sudden all heck is breaking loose. I wonder if people are purposely doing whatever it takes to get the virus to "get it over with"? I'm sure it happens.

Quote:
So I am doing the best I can to limit my exposure to the whole of humanity. It's much better for my mental outlook.
That's a good idea.
Old 07-14-20, 02:08 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
Please keep coming to VF!

I've been hearing about "Covid Parties"

'Heartbreaking story': Here's what a San Antonio doctor said about a COVID-19 party

https://www.chron.com/coronavirus/ar...o-15406821.php

"We cared for a 30-year-old patient at Methodist Hospital who told their nurse that they had attended a COVID party. This is a party held by somebody diagnosed with the COVID virus and the thought is that people get together and see if the virus is real and if anyone gets infected.

Just before the patient died, they looked at their nurse and they said, 'I think I made a mistake. I thought this was a hoax but it’s not.'"

Great. Just great!

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 07-14-20, 02:37 PM  
wlorrie

I'm not freaked out about it, but I don't want to catch it and especially would not want to spread it. I live in MA, and we had the third highest cases in the country when this outbreak began. Our governor mandated masks on May 6 as cases started to decline. We're in Phase 3 of reopening, and the percent positives cases continued to decline and are holding steady around 1.8%.

I don't like masks, and they are uncomfortable, but I still wear one when I go out. They make a huge impact on transmission. Plus I don't want people have to shut down businesses again! I know many people who are approaching financial ruin due to the shutdown. Wearing a mask seems such a small sacrifice.

Lorrie
Old 07-14-20, 03:05 PM  
Gams

I saw on the news this morning that they are going ahead with the fair next week. That should bring in a lot of germy people. Our cases slowed way down and then in the last week or so they doubled. Most of the cases have been tracked to the crowds in the bars.

I just saw some Einstein say online that if the virus was dangerous people without masks would be dropping dead right in the grocery stores. Guess he thinks getting sick days later and going to the hospital and getting put on a ventilator is no big deal.
Old 07-14-20, 03:08 PM  
Vantreesta

Gams, is that your county fair or what?
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Closed Thread

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, face masks, masks, pandemic, what a drag it is