Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 07-14-20, 06:35 PM  
Helen

SANDY
You went running the the rain, and "much harder rain" by choice?! I'm in AWE!
Laces - mine come undone unless they're double knotted as well.

BUFF
Is school happening with online lessons? We did that for about 6 weeks. Not a great level of participation from the kids though, especially the lower levels.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-20, 06:38 PM  
Helen

SANDY
You went running the the rain, and "much harder rain" by choice?! I'm in AWE!
Laces - mine come undone unless they're double knotted as well.

BUFF
Is school happening with online lessons? We did that for about 6 weeks. Not a great level of participation from the kids though, especially the lower levels.

VANNIE
How are you going? You spoke of lacking motivation. I've had a few blows to mine lately and have bounced back (a bit) by talking to myself about JUST aiming to do better than yesterday. That has helped.

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 07-14-20, 09:17 PM  
Vantreesta

I got home last night from a week with my family. My dad and I walked every day except Sunday. I took today as a "recalibrating" day to have some me time and get my head back in the game. Back at it tmrw.

Helen, that's a good approach, to aim to just do better than yesterday!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-20, 02:25 PM  
buffmama

I should hear next week about what they're thinking for school Helen. My friend is a HS teacher in NC, they're doing one week on and two off. How can kids learn like that and how can teachers teach like that?
Old 07-16-20, 08:44 AM  
buffmama

The foam roller I have is hard and nubby and short. Is it worth investing in a long softer one? I generally use a rolled yoga mat for pilates type workouts that one use like that. I will check Five Below to see if they have a cheap one. Would a pool noodle work? Obviously I don't want to invest a lot.

Sandy - I hope you found your mustard greens. I've recently become an Aldi's shopper but they definitely have limited options. How much toning vs yoga was Sarah Beth's latest?

Vannie and Helen - Doing better each time is too much pressure for me! I just work on 'keepin' on keepin' on'. Something is better than nothing. I found the rest pretty much takes care of itself.
Old 07-16-20, 08:57 AM  
SandyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
The foam roller I have is hard and nubby and short. Is it worth investing in a long softer one? I generally use a rolled yoga mat for pilates type workouts that one use like that. I will check Five Below to see if they have a cheap one. Would a pool noodle work? Obviously I don't want to invest a lot.

Sandy - I hope you found your mustard greens. I've recently become an Aldi's shopper but they definitely have limited options. How much toning vs yoga was Sarah Beth's latest?
I did get the mustard greens, but I had to ask two different people to get them from the back. The Amish produce is so nice and abundant now, the shelves were full of their produce, so there was no spot to put the mustard greens which I think are not local.

For the bulk of my rolling a short nubby roller would be fine. Really the only part I remember needing a full length for the pilates was when she has the roller run the length of the spine from tailbone to head. You can use the tightly roller yoga mat for that.

Sarah Beth's class was physical yoga. Two main flows each done twice, once to learn and once one breath per movement. I really enjoyed it.
Old 07-16-20, 10:13 AM  
Vantreesta

Buff, for me, doing better than the day before is really about not beating myself up, letting go of the previous day to start clean and not allowing previous disappointments make me throw my hands in the air declaring what's the use. It's not necessarily about running faster or farther, lifting more or anything like that. It's about saying okay, I'm not satisfied with how I used my time yesterday. How can I do better today? But it's so individual, like everything else. My biggest struggles right now are not getting enough sleep and poor time management. There are more, of course, but getting a better handle on those two would make some of my other issues easier to get on top of. If I slept better and didn't watch so much TV at night, I most likely would find it easier to eat better, that kind of thing. I have a schedule for myself that is doable but I can never stick to. Every afternoon I think well that didn't work, what can I rearrange to make it better? The answer is always this: rearrange nothing, just get up ON TIME and see if you can do it. I'll never be able to stick to the times I set out if I keep sleeping past the time I need to get up in order to be on track! My brain knows this but so far it has not been strong enough to control my body to do it!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-20, 02:03 PM  
SandyO

Wow, today's three workouts were all the bomb! Cassey Ho burned my butt, Trifecta total body flow was very effective, and Kassandra's use of the block throughout the class really added to the intensity. I may repeat them all. That says a lot.

Sandy O
Old 07-16-20, 06:32 PM  
Helen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Buff, for me, doing better than the day before is really about not beating myself up, letting go of the previous day to start clean and not allowing previous disappointments make me throw my hands in the air declaring what's the use. It's not necessarily about running faster or farther, lifting more or anything like that. It's about saying okay, I'm not satisfied with how I used my time yesterday. How can I do better today?
Yes, I agree.

I aim to make today, just a shade better than yesterday - whether that shade be to do with diet, pushing in exercise, number of minutes of exercise, even how long I give the dog quality play time.... sometimes I have a focus for what to do better for the day, but not always - like today? Drowning in work to be done before the "holidays" are over. Took yesterday off - only ONE hour of school-work - the day's focus was DH (spent time with him, made him an orange/poppy-seed cake, went out shopping together...)

SANDY
Speaking of days - you had a great one!

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 07-18-20, 01:04 PM  
SandyO

I finished all my Cathe DVDs this week, and I will move on to my 4 Jari Love DVDs next.

I also finished the Barlates Lazy Series. They were easy feel good classes.

Two weeks from today is August 1. I hope everyone is able to get out for a go at a 5k distance.

I was bringing my compost to my sister's every week, but in the summer it got a bit stinky, so I've been putting it in the unused area of our garden. My new favorite pastime is watching the bunnies eating the veggies. There is a big rabbit who guards the plot and is selective about who is allowed in there. There is a little baby who loves to run back and forth along the fence and sometimes tries out the compost. Another was determined to outlast the guard because every time he/she went in, the guard chased him/her away. Well, persistence pays off, as the guard finally left.

edit: The squirrels were mad I didn't mention them, so as soon as I went to the kitchen, a pair were wrestling/grappling for a couple of minutes.

Some people like birds; I like small mammals.

Sandy O