Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-20, 08:40 PM  
DCW

It's hard. So heart breaking hard.

My parents' two neighbors lost sons in their 30's. My niece's friend just lost his mom. He's 20 and his mom is gone. My girlfriend lost a total of 7 friends and family members combined.

Too many people gone too soon.
Old 07-14-20, 09:09 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCW View Post
It's hard. So heart breaking hard.

My parents' two neighbors lost sons in their 30's. My niece's friend just lost his mom. He's 20 and his mom is gone. My girlfriend lost a total of 7 friends and family members combined.

Too many people gone too soon.
I'm so sorry to hear of all the losses. That is heartbreaking.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 07-14-20, 10:02 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Ar one point in April, Michigan was ranked 3rd in cases. We had a pretty aggressive lockdown. One month ago cases in Michigan were down to under 100 a day. Now we're back to nearly 700 a day. Mostly irresponsible people in their early 20s having huge parties and bars that never enforced distancing or masks. They've spread it to thousands of people.

I am really the only person I know who still stays away from family and friends and wears a mask everywhere, sometimes I double up in the grocery store. It hit hard in my area at first so I really take it seriously. But it just feels like all those months of sacrifice were for nothing now.
Old 07-14-20, 10:44 PM  
BunnyHop

It kinda feels like I'm stuck in purgatory or something. For so many years I hardly left the house more than an hour a day because I was caring for my dad and life fell into a particular sort of rut. Now I feel as though I'm back on that same treadmill, trying to find myself some way to occupy my hands and my mind so I don't go stir crazy. Actually quit the gym the other day because I know I won't be going back any time soon. They're being responsible, limiting numbers, keeping track of who's there, reorganizing the space for distancing, etc., but I'm not comfortable with the idea of it.

Most days I find something to listen to and sit and stitch. Not really in the mood for cross stitch or quilting just now.

Just lately I've been chopping some old kitchen towels into pieces so I can sew the edges together and make washable cleaning pads. Feels good to find a new purpose for some old cloth. They were faded and stretched out enough that I didn't want to keep using them as the regular kitchen towels, but I hated the thought of letting them go.

I'd begun to be a little bit more social about a month ago, meeting occasionally with friends, masks, outdoors, distance ... , but then I accepted a lunch invitation from a friend and we ate in a restaurant.

People were not wearing masks or keeping their distance, and it kinda freaked me out so I decided to return to a more socially distant situation, not even meeting in the parking lot at church.

I think the part that bothers me is this whole distancing thing takes practice and people aren't making the effort to learn the skill. I've cringed to see the stuff people do, and I've cringed about things I've done.

Our community has made masks mandatory as of this past Monday, but people are still not complying. I do not understand their attitude at all, especially where the kids are concerned. It makes NO sense to me.

Why are people so blindly stupid about this? Why are their feelings more important than other people's good health?

I admit when I first started wearing a mask it was kind of uncomfortable, but honestly, now I hardly notice it. If it weren't so hot out I don't think it would bother me at all.

I'm staying home brushing up on my sewing skills, waiting for some fabric I ordered to arrive so I can try some other styles of masks. So far, I think the Octagon is most comfortable of the ones I've made, but I need more fabric before I can adjust the fit and make them in quantity. The LA Apparel ones I bought are quite comfortable, though, so I'm well supplied with something to wear in the meanwhile. The first batch I made tend to let my glasses fog up, so I don't wear them more often than I have to.
Old 07-14-20, 11:14 PM  
violingal3

Ugh I'm so over it. I've been at home for four months already. DH and I were out for our walk today and a jogger snuck up behind us and barely went around us on the sidewalk. What the heck people. I'm very pregnant with a toddler in the stroller and we are the ones being proactive to social distance - always crossing to the other side of the street if there's a sidewalk, taking random streets that look less busy, walking in the street, constantly looking behind us for other people etc... These silent joggers or walkers who sneak up behind us or come at us head on without budging and don't give us an inch happens all the time. I'm so sick of it. I hate that a relaxing experience to get out of the house is always stressful. Ok, sorry rant over.
Old 07-14-20, 11:56 PM  
Leonana

I'm in Arizona. Enough said. On a positive note, masks are mandated in most of the state, and people are following it. I rarely see someone without a mask. It does seem political, the smaller towns without mask mandates lean Red.

It seems to me that shutting down does not get rid of the virus. As soon as a state, or a country, starts opening up, the numbers climb again. I don't think this is going away until we have herd immunity or a vaccine. Unless masks make such a difference it disappears, which I suppose is possible.

Regarding belief in conspiracy theories, it's about fear and a lack of control. People feel safer believing in a conspiracy theory. That's why it's almost impossible to talk them out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
I am not freaked out. I am just tired of it all. I have been working and we opened our library yesterday. Between the conspiracy theorist, the paranoid and the resisters I am just done. Everyone's emotions are very high and everyone is feeling very strongly one way or another. This is truly testing humanity right now.
This is where I'm at too. I've been working on acceptance, this is a new normal. The old way of life is gone, at least for awhile.
Old 07-15-20, 05:35 AM  
TracyQ

If the message we got from the “experts” was more consistent then maybe we wouldn’t be in this situation now. Does anyone remember this interview that Dr. Fauci gave to 60 Minutes Overtime about masks?

https://youtu.be/PRa6t_e7dgI

I don’t post it to be argumentative but to show why some people may be skeptical about masks.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
Old 07-15-20, 07:23 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyQ View Post
If the message we got from the “experts” was more consistent then maybe we wouldn’t be in this situation now. Does anyone remember this interview that Dr. Fauci gave to 60 Minutes Overtime about masks?

https://youtu.be/PRa6t_e7dgI

I don’t post it to be argumentative but to show why some people may be skeptical about masks.
I see what you're saying but I also think they're learning more about it all the time so they come to different conclusions as they learn more. That interview was in March. A lot was unknown about this virus. I think new information and data brings different conclusions and solutions.
Old 07-15-20, 07:58 AM  
Gams

Ditto what summer breeze said.

Plus they mentioned the concerned of there being a mask shortage for health workers if everyone is running out to buy one which is probably less of a concern now seeing how just about everyone is making and selling them. Also, I noticed more than once in the interview Fauci said “right now” he didn’t think everyone needed to be wearing a mask. As summer breeze pointed out, new information will come out with time when you are dealing with a new virus.
Old 07-15-20, 08:34 AM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
I see what you're saying but I also think they're learning more about it all the time so they come to different conclusions as they learn more. That interview was in March. A lot was unknown about this virus. I think new information and data brings different conclusions and solutions.
I agree that new information is constantly coming out but at the time of the March Dr. Fauci interview we already knew it was highly contagious. That fact has not changed.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
Closed Thread

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, face masks, masks, pandemic, what a drag it is