Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 06-26-20, 03:23 PM  
Daphne M

Hi Pratima - I'm so glad you're still an ENDURANCE chick! You have had one tough year. I'm so sorry you lost your mom. How's your DH doing? Is he still in treatment? You've had a lot of upheaval and loss this year and I can't imagine coping with all that in the middle of a pandemic and kids underfoot non-stop. I'm glad you have your fitness. I'll keep my fingers crossed that one of the new jobs will be a good fit for you.

Peloton - I'll have to try the outdoor workouts again, Pratima. I love the treadmill workouts and the bootcamps. I find it tricky to do the peloton workouts on my bike + trainer, but "Sundays with Love" workouts for cycling are amazing. Uplifting and spiritual.

Vannie and Pratima - My mom died in 2012 and I still have complete conversations (sometimes arguments!) with her in my head every day. Do you find yourselves doing the same thing?

My check-in - I haven't been very structured and I don't plan ahead and sometimes the non-planning leads to the non-doing and that's dangerous territory for me.

In theory, I run 5 days a week and often combine the runs with a Cathe strength workout (upper body split one day; lower body the next) and some short core workouts. I've also been mixing in some of the workouts on the DVD that came with my BOSU.

The big news is that MY RUNNING SHOES ARE DISCONTINUED and I don't mean updated, I mean they are extinct. I've been running in Nike Structures for at least 10 years but have run in lots of other models over the years. The suggested replacement is the Nike React Infinity and that is what's on my feet right now. They're more cushioned, have all one piece uppers and cost one hundred and sixty stinking dollars, gasp. Tighter toe box gave me blisters and the looser heel is concerning but otherwise very comfortable stride. Fingers crossed because the search for new running shoes terrifies me every single time.

OK, I don't have kids at home anymore but the dog is glaring at me so I need to go feed her.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-20, 01:03 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Daphne, DH was in treatment from I believe July until Sept. last year. He had radiation and chemo all at once. He has a lot of scar tissue in his throat that makes it tough to eat certain things but is otherwise fine. He's even working at the hospital again through all this! I absolutely still have conversations with my mom. She was so...under my dad's thumb in life. I almost feel like now I can talk to her more freely. That seems really crazy typed up.

Peloton cycle workouts on the trainer are tough for me in that I can't get enough resistance for the hills. Otherwise they work pretty well. I do have cadence and speed thingies on my bike that show up on my watch. I tried one of the Les Mills The Trip workouts and LOVED that!

Running shoes--I am, I believe, on my last pair of Altra Impulse! They were discontinued when I discovered them so I bought every pair I could find in my size! Good luck finding a replacement.

Vantreesta, you still have a VCR? DH took ours to Goodwill last week. It died a while ago and I haven't found a replacement. What kind of hat are you making? I'm picturing a winter one with a pom-pom on top!

Allison, have you had foot pain before? Are you wary of going to the doctor? I've had issues with my hand on and off since March but just keep putting it off.

Yesterday was such an icky day. We planned a camping trip (the kids' first) for this weekend. Slowly things got canceled--parade, fireworks, race. Then things at the campground (we picked a KOA to make things easier) also closed--playground, no fires, etc. Yesterday the governor ordered bars, gyms, and pools to close. It's random and probably not effective and I suspect more business will close.

Anyway, we canceled the trip. I'd also ordered new Kindle Fire tablets for the kids and couldn't get them to work after half a day wrestling with them. And school has been delayed to August 17, though it may start online sooner. Our district seems to have done nothing other than maybe hope this will all be over soon.

I am still working out! I've done well, doubling up here and there. I try to do 3 runs, one Peloton cycle, and three weight workouts per week. I also take the kids swimming at the neighbor's house and that's more tiring than you would think!

I did get an email today that I've moved to the second stage of a job interview, so good news there. Still waiting to hear back from the other one.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-20, 01:59 PM  
Daphne M

Pratima - Encouraging news on round 2 of the job interviews and I'm glad your DH rebounded from treatment and is back at work. I don't know about you, but I am much more patient with my mom now that our conversations are mostly in my head. And sometimes it's her voice and not mine that I hear loud and clear when I'm talking to my own kids.

Peloton workouts - do you have favorite Peloton instructors on the bike, Pratima? I have my favorites on the treadmill and I really like Sundays with Love on the bike. I think my problem with adjusting my bike/trainer to the Peloton is partly the issue with hills and partly that I got bike burnout a few years ago and now I dread it. I really want Peloton to come out with a rower and rower workouts -- now that I would L-O-V-E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima View Post
Running shoes--I am, I believe, on my last pair of Altra Impulse! They were discontinued when I discovered them so I bought every pair I could find in my size! Good luck finding a replacement.
THE STRUGGLE IS REAL! My legs feel light and strong in the new shoes, but the toebox is more narrow, resulting in a couple of blisters that have bled through the shoe's upper to the point that a quadrant of the upper now appears bright red. So add to the original $160 cost of the shoes an additional $15 for fancy band-aids to heal blisters and fancy KT tape to prevent blisters. I told Norm that the bloody shoe makes me look badass, but he's not a believer.

Today - I added on a FIRM core workout after my 3-mile run this morning. Not especially hard (although hard for me -- I'm a solid intermediate-level exerciser these days) but I am sore already. Uh-oh!

Gotta run and do a Zoom. Time to plan the 2nd half of 2020. "Man plans, God laughs" -- you know it!
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-20, 02:49 PM  
Vantreesta

Good to see you guys posting. I am really struggling and the horrid humidity and heat are a big part of it. I'm sad, cranky, no energy, no motivation. I had a good morning routine going that was helping me stay on a mostly even keel but with the weather Cyric doesn't want to be out for long, it's too miserable to run outside and the thought of doing any of it on the treadmill is just too depressing. I had regular support group yesterday and a new grief group tonight. I just miss our moms and Chianna so much. I don't know what I would do without Cyric with me all the time.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-20, 03:51 PM  
Vantreesta

This morning I took Cyric for his short walk through the swimming pool that is our air lately. Hate it! Anyway, I dislike walking him before 8 bc there are so many other dogs out so we are constantly turning around to avoid them so he doesn't bark like a crazy dog. After we got back I ate breakfast and had my quiet time (meditation, Bible study) and then went out for a hot and sweaty 1.81 mile walk on my own. This afternoon I finally did some yoga again for the first time since Saturday. I pulled out an old comfortable one, Rodney Yee Power Yoga: Flexibility.

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 07-03-20, 08:15 PM  
Vantreesta

I drove an hour to meet a friend to go walking today and then we grabbed lunch. I hadn't seen her in 6 months so it was really good to catch up. I felt a little bad bc hubby was off today but we'll have the wknd together. Cyric was total wiggle-butt excited to see me. What can be better than that?? I mean, it would be awfully weird if hubby was wiggle-butt excited.

Old 07-05-20, 02:34 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Vantreesta: I'm struggling with the heat and humidity too. I've always disliked it, but this year it's making me extra miserable and cranky as well. I tried to work out outside in the shade this morning, and it did not go well.

My week hasn't been the greatest workout-wise, but I did move DH into her apartment Wed, Thurs, and Friday. We had to carry everything up 2 flights of stairs, no A/C! My brother helped with the extra-heavy stuff, but us 3 girls did everything else, including putting together a bed with storage drawers, 6-drawer dresser, and night stand (DH couldn't get off work). I did yoga yesterday morning, and it never felt so good! I spent the rest of yesterday and today on the couch watching English soccer.

I haven't run since last Sunday, but my feet weren't hurting nearly as much the last few runs, so that's good. Pratima: I have had foot issues before. I just don't want to pay for both a dr visit and new orthotics. Even with insurance, they're expensive.
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-20, 04:58 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Alison, honestly I feel like other than actual injuries, every issue comes down to some sort of weakness or imbalance. I've actually started doing my shoulder PT exercises again because it was bothering me. I had foot issues before which seem to be cropping up again too! And I really do suspect I need to do more stability work to help with form. Hopefully yours isn't anything more than just a small issue.

Vantreesta, there's something extra-special about seeing friends right now! I did a Webex with a friend yesterday to test it out and was all happy to see her. Do you have a pool? That would be SO nice in the humidity.

Daphne, I keep switching favorite instructors. I honestly have liked every instructor I've tried on the bike. For runs I like Robin Arzon and Mattie Maggiacomo (no idea if I spelled those right. My username is runwnyah if you want to look me up! My Peloton trial actually ended a while ago BUT my brother bought the bike and added me to his account.

It got really hot here last week--highs above 110 and lows above 80--and I have no reason to get up super early so I'm not running much. I started a challenge yesterday from Burn Bootcamp. It's a 30 day thing, you just track your meals, do I think at least 4 Burn workouts a week, and then have a daily exercise, like 2 minutes of jump squats. I printed out the packet they sent and my favorite part of it is where it says: Send a gratitude video/text to at least 1 person each day. I like the idea of reaching out in a positive way every day!

I am also doing Peloton cycle workouts and a run now and then. Thursday I signed up for a lap swim session. The city pools are open but limit attendance. I went to a different pool a couple weeks ago and had to wait because all 8 lanes were full and they had no time limit. This one, you sign up in advance for an hour slot. The pool isn't as nice--they put you in the shallow practice pool rather than the lovely 50 m pool where my tri was--but at least I know I'll get a lane.

My kids are spending WAY too much time on their tablets and computers. I give them a list each day of things to do--DS does a Peloton workout, they both clean, do some organizing, help cook, etc.--but they whip through those in an hour or two. They do occasionally play with two boys who live down the street but in this heat, it's tough to find much to do. I am trying to get them to the pool 2-3 times a week. Our neighbors let us use theirs and it's really nice!

Our district is starting school July 27 per their original plan, but fully online. I've had some interviews but no job yet so it works for now. I have no idea what we'll do if I end up having to go to an office and the kids are still doing online school. DH is here all day but asleep M-W so they would pretty much be on their own.

Weird times, my friends! I go back and forth between "This is OK, we're managing, we'll figure this out!" to "OMG I am LOSING MY MIND!!"

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-20, 09:17 PM  
Vantreesta

I got home last night from a week with my family. My dad and I walked every day except Sunday. I took today as a "recalibrating" day to have some me time and get my head back in the game. Back at it tmrw.

Old 07-20-20, 05:53 AM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Pratima: It's hard to believe your kids are starting school next week! Ours was pushed back to September 8 (two weeks later than planned) and she'll be online. There was a complicated choice of online vs. partially in-person, but we decided online would be less disruptive if/when things change again. While other soccer teams are practicing, hers isn't, but she's keeping busy with an online class, lifting, cooking, and I'm sure too much TV. I have a bad feeling her soccer team is going to fold, which would be sad cause she's been with this coach since she was 4.

Vantreesta: That's so nice that you got to walk with your dad like that. I hope he's doing ok. And you are too.

I haven't posted in a while. I've run a few times, including a run 3:00/walk 2:00 around the lake yesterday morning in the awful heat and humidity. I also went hiking one day and we got misguided, so we ended up doing 11 miles (Daphne, it was Prince William Forest. The trails there are really confusing, at least to me.) I've been lifting a little too, and I'm focusing on being consistent there.
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote