Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-07-21, 05:35 PM  
gladgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofcha View Post
Purple player is an app. If you have it on your iPad you can use it and connect your iPad via hdmi cable or airplay if that is an option.

I connected my iPad this morning and lunched purple player. Clicked on lift & shift and voila
Thank you.
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-21, 09:06 AM  
donnamp

Just rambling on the Jessica dilemma - I am getting more tempted. These do sound like they are slower lifting workouts than what she normally does - so it may be something that I would like. Jessica's strength workouts have typically been my least favorite of hers but I'm wondering if it is more the style of strength she was doing in those workouts and these sounds more like a slower paced lifting program. Still, I also know that I have bad exercise ADD... And, I am not sure how I feel about a program that is very light on cardio - I am such a cardio girl.

So - I guess my pros are---

- it may be different in terms of the lifting style and i may enjoy it
- on looking at the rotation again it does seem to be fairly balanced with mobility and core work included (she does include optional cardio days - and i know I would at least walk a few times a week)
- the 60 day money back guarantee does mean I can try it out for a full 2 months and still get my money back....
- with working from home I do have the time to do these longer workouts and they are all under an hour, although at least two are 50 min....

My cons are -

- Exercise ADD - can I really stick to it?
- Will I be able to reign myself in and not add cardio in - except for the recommended days? I think avoiding trying to add more and do more may be key not only to results but staying injury free
- Will they be just too hard for me and will I end up discouraged?

My neutrals:

Purple Player - I use it, it is fine, but I prefer the DVD format - what happens if PP goes under some day?
I understand that you may not b able to download these since she does offer the 60 day guarantee - I mean, what would stop someone from downloading and then asking for a refund

The price - it is a little expensive, but I do have the ability to get a gift card from my workplace wellness program that would cover the cost...

One more week to torture myself on the decision, LOL!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-21, 09:53 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I'm going to follow up on Donna's train of thought ...

PRO:
  • I LOVE set rotations; I progress the best; & I like not having to make a daily decision
  • I like Jessica's workouts
  • I like supporting her (though I have bought all of her DVDs, so I have contributed financially in recompense for all of her free YouTube videos)

CON:
  • Though I love prescribed rotations, 6 weeks is the max for me, then I'm onto a new idea/style/instructor. How much would I use this set?
  • Donna mentions the lack of additional cardio. If this program works because of minimal cardio, that's not good for me as hiking outdoors most days is critical for me.
  • I need to be more frugal: I want to retire "early", I have DVDs and fitness books enough to carry me through the rest of my life. Is this set "essential"? NO.
  • & to me $97 is a lot of money for something I won't "own"

-Anita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-21, 10:08 AM  
laurajhawk

I don't feel that Jessica is prescribing minimal cardio (and I just checked the program guide to see if I was wrong). She says to do weights first, is all. There are days when cardio is suggested on the calendar, but no suggestion that you should not do more.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-21, 10:12 AM  
donnamp

Anita -

I'm with you. I don't know if more cardio would hurt your results in this program, but I'm thinking for me it would up the chances of injury - so I know I would have to cut back on cardio workouts if I were to follow this program.

And, I'm not sure that I have the interest or focus to go for 12 weeks...

And, I honestly do have plenty of other workouts and systems available to use - Gilad has published several 21 day challenges on his site and I already own most of the content to do those rotations - I have always hesitated b/c the workouts are on the longer side, but I'm looking at this set from Jessica so if I truly wanted to do longer workouts...I could....

I am waffling...back and forth!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-21, 07:43 PM  
bjones

I think a big thing for me is that I just don't like Jessica's weight workouts-they are boring. I don't like her circuit style where everything gets repeated. For some reason I love Cathe's weight workouts- they are never boring for me, even the one hour ones, and yet I am watching the clock to get through a 30 min Jessica one. Maybe its the lack of upbeat music also.
I also am a DVD only person. I bought some streaming workouts from Jessica while waiting for a DVD to come back in stock. I just don't like them. And I want to actually own them and not be dependent on the internet working.
bjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-21, 05:59 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones View Post
I don't like her circuit style where everything gets repeated. For some reason I love Cathe's weight workouts- they are never boring for me, even the one hour ones, and yet I am watching the clock to get through a 30 min Jessica one.
That's something I had not considered also. I think that's why I like the old FIRMs so much: circuit style but you're not repeating the same circuit. And (I know I can be weird like this) when instructors design a circuit and then repeat it another time, or sometimes it's done 3x!, I feel like: why am I paying for an hour workout when really it's only 20 minutes of your creativity??

Ahh, the beauty of so many instructors & so many styles - there is something for everyone !! What doesn't work for me, will be delightful to someone else!

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-21, 06:26 AM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
I have DVDs and fitness books enough to carry me through the rest of my life. Is this set "essential"? NO.
Anita
This is me. Plus all the awesome free offerings on YouTube I keep discovering.

Yet I’m still considering purchasing this set.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-21, 01:35 PM  
SFR
VF Supporter

I just tried viewing the free intro video using purple player and my chromecast remote didn't work. I would want to be able to pause, fast forward and rewind. I can do this with Essentrics streaming and anything on YouTube.

So I won't be buying this system unless it's released some other way.

Too bad. The description of wrist and ankle work was really drawing me in.
Old 03-09-21, 10:50 PM  
upperwside

I did the first workout today. I'm glad I purchased this series. This is exactly what I need, fun strength that's easy to follow and motivating. I like the new moves Jessica mixed in. I'm 48 and strength is important to me more than ever. I like I can safely build strength and progress in weight with this series. I mostly rebound, fast walking or do Kelly for boxing for my cardio.. So I like that this focuses on strength only.. But my heart rate was up with the first workout! I also like the purple player app. I use my laptop and have it hooked up to my big screen tv. I downloaded them, so if for some reason my internet is wonky I can still play the videos. I'm sure if purple player goes bust, they will give you the option to download to your computer or external device.
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jessica smith, lift and shift