Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-23-05, 09:47 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Anyone watch Dancing with the Stars?

I watched the TV show, Dancing with the Stars last night (the first part of it), and it made me want to take ballroom dance lessons in the worst way! I was impressed with Rachel Hunter's flexibility, and it was amazing how well the nondancers did in just a week of learning the choreography. It looks like the most fun workout ever!

Was anyone else motivated by that show?
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-05, 09:56 AM  
naturallove

No ballroom dance for me..

but I loved seeing Evander Holyfield try to do the quick step!!! I have tried ballroom dance from time to time (even joined the team at school for literally a week) but I just can't get into it. I love watching the really good dancers but my body just wants the freedom that only salsa can give it (the straight lines and rigid postures don't work for me).
I am a bit frustrated that that soap opera star isn't gone (but I didn't watch last night). She's terrible, but her skimpy outfits are somehow keeping her afloat. JMHO..
naturallove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-05, 09:58 AM  
Tait
VF Supporter

I would love to catch this on television some day. I just heard about it about a week ago on Entertainment Tonight. Sounds great!

Susan
Tait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-05, 09:59 AM  
lisald

Abbe,

I found that show last week one night when I wasn't feeling well. I actually got to see the second episode (from the previous week) and then last week's episode back-to-back. I would love to take ballroom dancing lessons, but I don't know that I'm graceful enough! I have to say, I was disappointed that Rachel Hunter and her partner were eliminated. I thought that they were very good...much better than the woman from General Hospital, but I guess the television audience who voted (which I did not) did not agree.

Lisa
lisald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-05, 10:00 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Oh no! Rachel was eliminated? I didn't see the last half of the show. I wish I had taped it.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
hedygs
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturallove
but I loved seeing Evander Holyfield try to do the quick step!!! I have tried ballroom dance from time to time (even joined the team at school for literally a week) but I just can't get into it. I love watching the really good dancers but my body just wants the freedom that only salsa can give it (the straight lines and rigid postures don't work for me).
I am a bit frustrated that that soap opera star isn't gone (but I didn't watch last night). She's terrible, but her skimpy outfits are somehow keeping her afloat. JMHO..
Last night she had a wardrobe malfunction but managed to keep her top up during their dance. I didn't care for her but she really is getting better every week. I was surprised to see who went home last night though.
hedygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Brenda M

Totally hooked on the show!

I am completely and totally hooked on Dancing with the Stars! I love to watch ballroom dancing anyway, and it makes it fun to see non-dancers learn and perform a routine in such a short time. On a fitness related note, John O'Hurley (my favorite of the dancing stars) has lost 15 pounds since he started dancing just a few weeks ago! Wish I could do that.
Old 06-23-05, 10:10 AM  
pennantb

Well can I let you into a secret well not much of one but this is based on a UK show and was huge (I loved it) I only watched the second series which ended last December my favourite couple can in second. More recently there was a spin off for amateur dancers and my favourite won here the shows are called Strictly Come Dancing and Strickly Dance Fever.

I am glad you are enjoying the show.

If there is one thing you never put in a trap.... that's me... Dr Who series 5

Last edited by pennantb; 06-23-05 at 10:23 AM. Reason: removed 'girls' sounded ghastly.
pennantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-05, 10:27 AM  
gelfling
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennantb
Well can I let you into a secret well not much of one but this is based on a UK show and was huge (I loved it) I only watched the second series which ended last December my favourite couple can in second. More recently there was a spin off for amateur dancers and my favourite won here the shows are called Strictly Come Dancing and Strickly Dance Fever.

I am glad you are enjoying the show.
Oh I loved both of those shows as well They were a big hit over here and compulsive viewing. I can't wait for the next series and I'm really curious about the American version too!
ATB,
- Lisa
Old 06-23-05, 10:27 AM  
KickDancer

[Note: I've seen the first three episodes but not the fourth.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturallove
but I loved seeing Evander Holyfield try to do the quick step!!! ...

...that soap opera star [is] terrible, but her skimpy outfits are somehow keeping her afloat. JMHO..
Wasn't Evander Holyfield amusing to watch? I really agree with the judge's remark that he had a lot farther to go than everyone else, and I respect his willingness to good-naturedly give it his all. I personally would be frightened to dance with a 275-pound boxer!

And I completely agree about Kelly Monaco's skimpy outfits and popularity unfairly compensating for her inferior dance abilities. Like some have commented on the thread about Burr Leonard's DVD covers, youth sells, thinness sells, and sex sells. While I really enjoyed her comeback with the jive, it's frustrating that one of the weakest dancers seems to be doing disproportionately well in the competition just because of her image.

Too bad we didn't start talking about this earlier-- I bet we could have helped to boost Rachel Hunter's standings! Poor thing seemed so underconfident about her popularity. I've never seen her kickboxing workout, but wouldn't there be a bunch of VFers who'd have been curious to watch her dance and who would have recognized her abilities? (That said, I must confess that I haven't enjoyed her dancing as much as the judges. I think she and her partner are just going through a bunch of poses, rather than truly *dancing*. She has extraordinary flexibility and the classical dancer's beautiful line, and I think the judges are being swayed by that-- maybe not too unlike the audience's being swayed by Kelly Monaco's body and soap-opera-come-hither facial expressions.)

Abbe, come take dance lessons with us! I'm taking Argentine tango right now, and I'd like to go back to lindy and West Coast Swing soon.

Last edited by KickDancer; 06-23-05 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Miscounted the episodes I've seen!
KickDancer is offline   Reply With Quote