Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-16, 11:52 AM  
Sissy B

Cable internet is my best option where I live right now so I have no plans to get rid of that, but the main reason I haven't gotten rid of cable TV is that I can't figure out how to access the sports channels without it. We are big college football fans and you have to have a cable subscription for WatchESPN. You can't access it otherwise. We do have a ROKU for Netflix and we all love it.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-16, 11:59 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissy B View Post
Cable internet is my best option where I live right now so I have no plans to get rid of that, but the main reason I haven't gotten rid of cable TV is that I can't figure out how to access the sports channels without it. We are big college football fans and you have to have a cable subscription for WatchESPN. You can't access it otherwise. We do have a ROKU for Netflix and we all love it.
This is me. I would kick Time Warner Cable to the curb in a heartbeat IF I could figure out how to watch all my sports without it.
Old 12-08-16, 12:09 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

We haven't had tv service for 20 years. Most of that time, we didn't even get over the air channels.

There is a public service web site that will let you know what kinds of channels you can get over the air using a variety of antennas. I used to live in the middle of nowhere and could get PBS, a local Fox affiliate, and 2 of the 3 major networks.

But, you can stream most anything these days as long as the internet isn't your problem.

I stream the ABC Thursday night shows through the ABC app. One of the other 2 networks has a pretty good streaming service. Hulu has many of the shows for free, but only on computers. We have a Amazon Prime, Netflix and a firestick (Amazon tv) for our tv. There are a few sports channels for free as apps through Amazon.

We tried Sling tv for the Olympics but the coverage was so terrible (not sling's problem), we only watched for a couple days and gave up. We used the Sling service much less than we thought we would in the month we had it.

Direct TV just put out a streaming service for $30 a month. But, for that, I can have Netflix and Amazon Prime. The Direct TV service doesn't fix a lot of things that are wrong with cable though. It will be $40 for basic service if you don't get in on the intro special.

Roku is great - haven't used it in about 3 years because we have a smart tv. One note on that, you can't count on smart tvs keeping any of the channels that were available when you buy them. We have a Phillips TV that can stream netflix and youtube- nothing else.

Sorry to ramble, but we've been doing this forever. CUT THE CORD!

Sports are still a bit of a problem, but now you can watch Thursday night football on Twitter- it won't be long until we can just buy the sports we want to watch.

ETA https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-16, 12:14 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissy B View Post
Are you sure you can't get Sling TV for the football season? Seemed like it had a dozen ESPN channels.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-16, 01:04 PM  
marki64

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
We are frustrated by the cost, and the continual problems with using on demand. A lot of times it does not load.
Sherry
I hate this! I am paying for this service and yet, it's will say it's not available (what?) or it takes forever to load. Ridiculous. When they send the bill I would like to send it back saying "the payment is not available at this time."
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-16, 01:07 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

We had issues with on demand, very frustrating and one reason why we cancelled. Big bucks for lousy service!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-16, 01:07 PM  
sherry7899

Thanks so much for all the information. I really appreciate it!

Helen-wow, you have a great memory! Our son used to be a rabid Yankees fan. That since has passed. Of course he was one during the time we were locked into a two year contract with Direct TV. I contacted them beforehand to make sure he could see the Yankees games on YES . They said of course. Then all the games on there were blocked. When I contacted them, they said we were "out of area." We're in NJ! My DH is a Phillies fan, but he is willing to sacrifice seeing the games . We don't follow any other sports.

We already had Direct TV and were not fans of it.

Thank you for the input on Sling TV. I guess we could try the week trial and see if we have trouble with it or not.

We do have Amazon Prime. We don't care about premium movie channels. I am curious about Acorn though since I like British tv and movies. I see you can get Acorn through Amazon Prime.

Please pardon my stupidity, but is there an advantage to having a Roku along with using streaming services like Netflix and Hulu? I need to look up the Roku channel listing.

The only current shows we watch regularly are This is Us, Modern Family , Big Bang Theory and Better Call Saul. We have so many music and movie dvds that we don't watch that many tv channels for anything new. Well, those are the ones my DH and I watch. Our son isn't addicted to many new shows either.

We would miss the music channel AXS, but would live without it if it's not on the Roku or Hulu.

Having issues with on demand is a big frustration. Why pay for that service if it doesn't work half the time.

Thanks!
Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-16, 01:32 PM  
antbuko

Sherry, I love Acorn. I ran out of shows that I wanted to watch and cancelled it but I just resubscribed yesterday because some of my shows are back with new seasons. Easy peasy, no haggling with the cable company. And it's very affordable, $4.99 a month cancel any time. Love that.
Old 12-08-16, 01:32 PM  
Sissy B

Sherry - I don't have a smart TV so I got the Roku so we could watch Netflix on the TV. We currently have the plan that allows you to watch on two devices so DD can watch on her laptop while she's at school. She doesn't have a TV in her room.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-16, 01:39 PM  
sherry7899

Helen. -thank you!

Sissy- we have Dvd players with wifi that have the Netflix app and Amazon apps. I am still going to check into the Roku.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, canceling cable, cord cutting, internet provider