Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-17, 10:49 AM  
sherry7899

OT-trouble with smoke alarms

I am sorry to ask this here, but maybe someone else has this going on. Starting a few months ago, our smoke alarms have gone off for no reason.It happened three nights. Of course, it happens between midnight to five am, which scares the crap out of us! We did have the fire department out, and they said to make sure the alarms are dust free and to install new batteries. My DH took care of any dust and replaced all the batteries. It hadn't happened for months, and then last night they went off around 10:30 pm for no reason.

Any ideas? The alarms are not old and the batteries in them are new.

I read reviews of the alarms on Amazon, and someone mentioned theirs can go off when the power grid in their area is changed over, which usually happens very early in the morning.

Thanks !
Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-17, 11:00 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

what you've checked so far were good ideas.

are yours the kind that you buy from Home Depot, or are they part of an alarm company device?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-17, 11:02 AM  
sherry7899

They are the kind you get from Home Depot etc.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-17, 01:14 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

sherry - read this 2 page post from another site, especially page 2:
http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/c...t-night/page/2

edited to add:

the link mentioned moisture & dust as culprits. it also mentioned resetting the circuitry if the alarms are wired together as a possible fix. if your alarms are wired to an internet or phone line, check those as well in case they are heating up or if there is "noise" on that circuit causing the alarm to trip.

I would also google your particular brand to see if others have had the same problem or if there was a recall.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 05-16-17, 01:21 PM  
antbuko

Mine goes off if I shower with the bathroom door open, from the steam.

Not as scary as the smoke alarm, but I keep my digital scale in the bedroom and once in awhile it lights up all by itself when the room is dark. Creepy. what sort of creature steps on my scale in the middle of the night?
Old 05-16-17, 06:08 PM  
samantha-kitty

I once had one start beeping intermittently. It was in the bedroom and I wasn't cooking or showering (steam). As I took it down to try to turn it off and check it, a tiny spider crawled out.
samantha-kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-17, 06:12 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samantha-kitty View Post
As I took it down to try to turn it off and check it, a tiny spider crawled out.

we have an security alarm/fire alarm combo that is monitored by an alarm company. when ours was beeping, they told us to check for ants! (ours ended up being a low battery).

Old 05-16-17, 07:01 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I am sorry to ask this here, but maybe someone else has this going on. Starting a few months ago, our smoke alarms have gone off for no reason.It happened three nights. Of course, it happens between midnight to five am, which scares the crap out of us! We did have the fire department out, and they said to make sure the alarms are dust free and to install new batteries. My DH took care of any dust and replaced all the batteries. It hadn't happened for months, and then last night they went off around 10:30 pm for no reason.

Any ideas? The alarms are not old and the batteries in them are new.

I read reviews of the alarms on Amazon, and someone mentioned theirs can go off when the power grid in their area is changed over, which usually happens very early in the morning.

Thanks !
Sherry
I think you are talking about more than just the typical annoying beeping that occurs when the battery is low, right? Yes, I've had this happen, just once, thankfully. Scared me to death - and the dog, oh my goodness, I thought she was going to die on the spot. DS slept through the entire thing, despite my screaming for him - he never knew a thing until I told him the next morning.

My first thought was to get the dog out of the house and into the backyard. By the time I got back in the house, the alarm had stopped, so I never figured out exactly which one went off. Something I read on the Internet suggested that vacuuming the alarms would help and I did that the next day - it's super dusty where I live, so maybe that was it.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-17, 05:15 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I had that happen on more than one occasion and always in the middle of the night. Always! I have 4 floors and ALL smoke detectors would go off at the same time. I changed them all, to no avail. Finally I was told that it may be dust and/or inevitable cat hair that may be causing it. I'll never know for sure.
Old 05-17-17, 08:40 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

We had this happen to us about 6 months ago. DH did a lot of research and found that some of these newer smoke detectors don't have a life span longer than about 5-7 years...our house was built 5 years ago, so we were on the low end of that. Luckily, replacing the batteries has worked for us so far.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote