Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 08-02-20, 01:04 PM  
JustSandra

Barefoot & On the Mat 8/2-8: Corn Moon Edition!

Greetings and welcome to the weekly Barefoot & On The Mat check-in thread! This is a long-running VF check-in. We're a cozy, friendly group who enjoy a wide variety of workouts, but we have a special fondness for those traditionally done without shoes. If you enjoy yoga, Pilates, barre, qi gong, Classical Stretch/Essentrics, Ellen Barrett, etc. (or even if you simply prefer doing traditional workouts without shoes!) you'll feel right at home.

Please feel free to join in. We love hearing from new, returning and guest Mat Mavens. Our welcome mat is always out!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-20, 01:08 PM  
JustSandra

Hi Barefooters! Hope you are enjoying a good start to your week.

Last week was mixed for me. I got in a number of long outdoor walks. I find them enjoyable, soothing to both body and soul, and they are the only forms of cardio I feel any enthusiasm for these days. OTOH I tweaked my low back. Not badly, and it is now mostly resolved, but I sluffed off on other forms of exercise for the week. Not ideal -- I really need that balance of cardio, strength and stretch.

That said, I did skip a walk this morning for various reasons, but will do a workout later.

Waving to all!

Old 08-02-20, 02:24 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Yin Yoga with Donna Helm-Yost (the first 50 minutes of the Yin Yoga practice)

Last night we watched The Sapphires on Netflix and we thought it was good. The movie is based on a true story about 4 Aboriginal Australian women who sing soul music for US troops during the Vietnam war.

Sandra, thank you for starting us! I think it's great that you get in so many long outdoor walks each week. I wish I could motivate myself to do that.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-20, 02:35 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Sandra, I kind of like the other name for this month's moon, the Sturgeon Moon. Walking is probably the best thing you can do for your back! I hope it fully resolves soon.

This was my last week at home. I have been very lucky...and it seems very weird that Tuesday will be my first time back in the office since March!

I expect that future weeks will not look quite as varied at this one.

Monday
DocJenFit (YT) - 10m HIIT + Mobility
Jane Wake (YT) - Barefoot Cardio & Strength Workout #1
massage ballwork on own
3-Week Yoga Retreat Deluxe DVD - Yoga for Lower Back Pain

Tuesday
Barre3 (FB) - 20m New Orleans with Kendall
ActiveMotion Bar (YT) - 10 Min Total Body Toning
Annie Taylor Efremsky (YT) - Advance Arm Toning 3#/5 minutes
NourishMoveLove (YT) - Pyramid Workout 30 Min (@21 minutes); 10 Min Arm Workout for Women

Wednesday
Total Core Pilates (all)
Yoga with the Birds (short outdoor class)

Thursday
Barre3 (FB) - 10m Willow Glen with Kate
Annie Taylor Efremsky (YT) - 4m Shoulder Burn/2#; Triceps 3m/3#
HDM (YT) - Deep Muscle Work 2015 (@44m; skipped floorwork)
DocJenFit (YT) - Mobility Flow

Friday
AM-PM Yoga - Get Up & Go
Barre3 (FB) - 20m Eugene with Jessica

Saturday
Allison Kaplan (YT) - Weighted Body Bar Workout
Short Circuits Fitness (YT) - Body Bar Workout
Yin Yoga Practice from YTT (#1)

Sunday
Barre3 (online) - 30m with Catie
Caroline Garvin (YT) - Arm Workout at Home
YogaVibe (YT, local studio) - Queen & Trans Yoga, Shorts #1, Hips & Side Bodies w/Miles

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-20, 06:50 PM  
JustSandra

Hi again!

Today's Workout: Since it is the beginning of August, my least favorite month , I'm sticking with Margaret Richard for no-dread weight workouts. Today I did Unplugged episode 1904. I finished with the 15-minute Total Stretch from Jessica Smith's Walk Strong 3 set.

Paine: I suspect when the weather cools you might be tempted to do more walking.

Beth: I can only imagine how strange it will be for you to return to work for the first time since March! Let us know how it goes for you.

Waving to all -- take care!

Old 08-02-20, 07:24 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Paine I think we cross-posted earlier! I enjoyed going back to the first yin practice from my training and doing it again yesterday.

Sandra I forgot about August being your least favorite! Although I love summer, August is my least-favorite of the summer months.

So, I guess I spoke too soon about work! I am restarting on Tuesday, but I am NOT going back into the office--apparently the counselors are now supposed to continue working remotely through August 14th. After that, it looks like I might be splitting time with working remotely/going into the office. As with everything during this weird time, it's still up in the air.

In other news, I finished watching all of the training videos for my Yin YTT! The only think I have left to do is the final exam. It's called a theoretical assignment, but it appears to be a check multiple answers quiz like the others have been. The last one I took wound up having around 160 items and a total of almost 1500 responses!!! I can take the final at any time, but I have a few questions for the instructor first, and she's on vacation through August 9, so I will probably wait.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-20, 07:28 PM  
cyana

Today:
Qi Gong for Headaches - extended program - Lee Holden
Holden - Healing Sound Meditation - Lungs
MFML - Haven for the Heart - Joo Teoh

My sleep has been in the crapper for the last 3-4 nights and today I woke up with a headache. I was sleeping soundly and shortly after midnight a police car went by the house with lights on and siren blasting, followed by another emergency vehicle with lights flashing (but thankfully no siren). What a jolt that was! Unfortunately, I was awake for hours after that. I'm going to go lie down on the bedroom floor and put my YTU balls under my neck for some additional neck relaxation after I finish here. Maybe I'll listen to some healing bowls meditation music.

It was a pleasant surprise to find 2 new practices by Joo Teoh and two by Clive Fogelman on MFML when I logged in today. Joo's practices are audio only, but I had no problem following his instructions. I think he moved outside of the country, so I'm happy he's recording new practices.

Sandra - I wish the corn moon would bring some new corn on the cob at the farmer's market! I'll take August over short cold winter days, but the heat and humidity drains my energy quickly. Hopefully your back will be back to 100% soon.

Paine - I hadn't heard of The Sapphires - I'll have to try to check that one out.

Beth - Good luck heading back to campus this month. Will you still be in your remote office?

Must run....need to spend some quality time with the YTU balls before bedtime!

Waves to ALL !

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-20, 11:14 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Sandra, actually the weather where we live has been perfect. It has been in the low 70's. Today it was 73 degrees, so it's lovely outside for walking. We live 1 mile from the beach so it doesn't get as hot here as it does further inland. I really don't know why I haven't been motivated to go for walks.

Beth, in the realm of possibilities, you may end up liking the changes at work with working remotely plus sometimes going into the office.

Cyana, speaking of corn on the cob, I love straining the liquid I cook the corn in and drinking it as a broth! It is so sweet and my 5 year old grandson loves "corn broth" too (as he calls it).
I wish I had a solution for the insomnia monster. In this last month I've had a couple nights where I didn't sleep all night long.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote