Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-28-20, 01:16 PM  
Erica H.

Low heart rate - fitness-related or a health problem?

My heart rate is always in the 50s throughout the day - not resting heart rate, but when I'm up and around. I've had a lot of medical issues and don't know if the low heart rate is another symptom of these issues or if it's normal because of my fitness level (I run every day plus lift).

Does anyone else experience a low heart rate with no other related medical problems?

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-20, 02:17 PM  
ChelePA

Yes...but I'm talking a very low resting heart rate. I saw a cardiologist many years ago and wore a holter monitor for a different issue. My rate dropped even lower while sleeping. He had no concerns since there were no other symptoms. Do you have dizziness? Fatigue? Hypothyroidism? Side effect of meds? Does your heart rate elevate when exercising? It may not hurt to ask your physician.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-20, 02:23 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelePA View Post
Yes...but I'm talking a very low resting heart rate. I saw a cardiologist many years ago and wore a holter monitor for a different issue. My rate dropped even lower while sleeping. He had no concerns since there were no other symptoms. Do you have dizziness? Fatigue? Hypothyroidism? Side effect of meds? Does your heart rate elevate when exercising? It may not hurt to ask your physician.
Thank you!

I also wore a holter monitor a couple of years ago for another issue (irregular heartbeat). My rate drops very low while sleeping.

I have dizziness when getting up, but I have low blood pressure, and fatigue. No meds and my thyroid tests were ok. My heart rate does elevate when exercising.

I've had terrible luck with doctors, unfortunately, and I have a very high deductible. I just hate to waste a lot of money on poor medical care again.

Erica
Old 05-28-20, 08:19 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

it's probably a combination of both.

i have a low RHR, and i don't run at all as frequently as you do. i attribute that to having high endurance conditioning from exercise.

it seems you have a good handle on what your HR is at various times of the day, but if you keep a log of it for a few weeks, it would at least document what you already know in case it ever came up should you decide to see a doc in the future.

unless you feel faint or dizzy, as others said, and the fact that you run almost everyday, i'm thinking that's your baseline.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-20, 06:54 AM  
Erica H.

Thank you! I realized I may be feeling lousy due to electrolyte issues. I sweat when I workout and then I drink too much during the day. I'm going to try an electrolyte drink and see if that helps.

I did look over my health records and my heart rate reading at the doctor's office was always in the 50s, so I think that's just normal for me. I shouldn't have gotten paranoid.

Erica
Old 05-29-20, 09:54 AM  
Hsim

I also have a resting HR in the low 50s. I had not had a physical in 4 years (I am 62) and my doctor said that my EKG had changed quite a bit so he referred me to a cardiologist. The cardiologist opted not to have me do a stress test after questioning me about my activity level and finding out that I run a couple of times a week and that I can run 6 miles an hour for a short period of time. Since his office is run so poorly I opted not to go back for monitoring at this time.
Hsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-20, 10:23 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsim View Post
I also have a resting HR in the low 50s. I had not had a physical in 4 years (I am 62) and my doctor said that my EKG had changed quite a bit so he referred me to a cardiologist. The cardiologist opted not to have me do a stress test after questioning me about my activity level and finding out that I run a couple of times a week and that I can run 6 miles an hour for a short period of time. Since his office is run so poorly I opted not to go back for monitoring at this time.
I had to see a cardiologist also and it was such a bad experience (incompetent doctor with rude staff) that I didn't go back. I did have a stress test and it was awful - the leads kept falling off.

Erica
Old 05-29-20, 01:21 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
Thank you! I realized I may be feeling lousy due to electrolyte issues. I sweat when I workout and then I drink too much during the day. I'm going to try an electrolyte drink and see if that helps.

I did look over my health records and my heart rate reading at the doctor's office was always in the 50s, so I think that's just normal for me. I shouldn't have gotten paranoid.

Erica

i suggested the log only because some doctors act skeptical when you mention a symptom, you kwim? but since it's a metric they already track, then there it is in black and white.

when i donate blood, the techs have called me "an athlete" and i have no such lofty status! i just have good endurance even though running is no longer in my regimen. i do a lot of brisk walking on hills outside in the neighborhood.

one thing about having a low HR is it's hard to get my HR "up there". that's why i can't use those 220-age formulas. i just can't get my HR high enough in those types of standard ranges. instead i did a field test to establish my HR ranges for 2 "sports" - around a high school track and a step co. step at home.

i was referred to a treadmill test once, and about that inability to get my HR "up there," i was running so aggressively that the treadmill was wobbling, and the tech was telling me to keep going for it! this referral was because i thought i was having chest pains from anxiety. that was 10 yrs ago.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-20, 01:29 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post

i was referred to a treadmill test once, and about that inability to get my HR "up there," i was running so aggressively that the treadmill was wobbling, and the tech was telling me to keep going for it! this referral was because i thought i was having chest pains from anxiety. that was 10 yrs ago.
The lousy cardiologist office I went to was annoyed during my treadmill test because it was taking so long to get my heart rate up. The tech told the doctor "she's a runner" and rolled her eyes. I hated that place!

Erica
Old 05-29-20, 02:16 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
The lousy cardiologist office I went to was annoyed during my treadmill test because it was taking so long to get my heart rate up. The tech told the doctor "she's a runner" and rolled her eyes. I hated that place!

Erica
Wow! You'd think they'd be happy to see someone who's in shape.

On the electrolytes.... if I've been outside in the heat working or whatever, I sometimes just put a dab of himalayan salt on my tongue and I feel better immediately.

Good luck!

Tags
heart rate, resting heart rate