Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 05-28-20, 04:03 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

It was a good day. I slept solid again last night and feel good. I did a lot of "little" things - cooking cupcakes for DH, exercising (Absolute Beginner Cardio Dance Intervals), doing some crafting, getting ready for the small-group meeting tonight, etc.

Anita - I had wondered if the riots were affecting you. I'm so sorry that they are. I never understood the mindset of, "We will protest. Let's loot and/or burn down the neighborhood!" I hope it dies down, at least in your area, soon. I'm glad you got sleep. It does help. Yes, I get paid an hourly rate for tutoring, not a great rate, but not bad for never leaving the house.

Dede - We have had clouds, rain, sun, and are back to clouds today. The last two days have been totally gray and very rainy. I'm ready for this system to get outta here!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-20, 08:02 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. No workout today, we returned from our two night trip to Catalina and had the usual trip aftermath to deal with. I'll post more tomorrow - I'm tired right now.

Anita, sorry about your toe, also saddened by the riots in your area. It's all over the news. The whole situation is terribly sad.

DeeDee, good for you with the upper body workouts. Your shoulder problems make it even more impressive. The eagle nest at Two Harbors is on the ocean side of the island, in what is called Cat Harbor. We were moored on the channel side, called Isthmus Cove. We did walk out to Cat Harbor while we were there, didn't see any eagles though.

Laura, yay of getting good sleep. Better yet is getting paid for on line tutoring.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-20, 07:07 AM  
sciencelady

Good? morning!

Our neighborhood has had a bad night with riots - businesses two blocks away have been broken into and destroyed. These were not big businesses, but small private ones that had nothing to do with the killing of the black man in Minneapolis - this was a pharmacy (broken into and burned), an Asian grocery store, a veterinary clinic, a Korean restaurant, a small shop of misc stuff for hobbyists, a marijuana shop, empty hardware store, charity shop, etc. These are two blocks from me... The big stores like Target, Cub, TJMaxx, etc. have also been broken in and destroyed - these are about 8 blocks away. All the Targets in town are now closed down and barricaded. We're in Saint Paul Midway neighborhood, not Minneapolis. This area of town also houses lots of minority people - they've lost their businesses, supplies and jobs . It sucks. At my house, I've heard lots of speeding traffic a block away and lots of yelling last night, but no damage that I can tell. Even the mailman won't come to our neighborhood today... Buses and trains stopped service yesterday...

Today I'll be going in to work at the WRC, hopefully walking Gus a ways away, and trying to go to our neighborhood shops to help them clean up.

Dede, I went to the park with osprey yesterday - saw one near the nest but unsure if it was settling in or just visiting.

Laura, it's bad enough to riot locally, but there has been a truck from Texas with three guys with machine guns going to the riots staying in a neighborhood hotel . Police know about them...

Paula, Welcome home!

Waves to all (from >6 feet apart)!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-20, 02:53 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Anita, that is just awful. I had heard that several of the people causing the most damage weren't recognized as being from the area. Of course it would be much easier to come from out of state and destroy a city. It won't affect you directly. You can just go home when you're done making a mess. I hope you are being careful and staying safe.

Laura, we have nothing but sunshine today. Hope you're having the same.

Paula, it sounds like you had a good trip. I would love to go to Catalina.

Today I did my customized upper body routine and Cathe's Supersets with necessary modifications. I'm hoping to revisit many of her older workouts. I still think I should avoid the very high-rep ones, though. I don't know that my knees or elbows could handle them. But I'm getting bored doing the same workouts and need to mix it up. I'm used to doing month-long rotations, not months-long ones.

I hope everyone is safe and well.
Old 05-29-20, 05:29 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

It was a nice day. We went to Mom and Dad's for lunch to celebrate Mom's birthday that was last Saturday. They picked up enchiladas and sides from a Mexican restaurant (and it was so very good). And, I took brownie batter in a pan with us to their house and cooked the brownies there so they were warm. It was a nice time.

Then, I went to the chiropractor. My back didn't feel too bad going in and it felt even better coming out. Whole Foods is in that plaza, so I went there to pick up a couple of things.

Anita - That's horrible! What a travesty. I hope you stay safe through all of this. It's ridiculous that people go to other areas and take advantage of protests to steal and destroy.

Dede - We have had clouds all week. For the first time today, the sun came out. It was cloudy most of the day and then the sun came out for awhile this afternoon. When I came out of Whole Foods, it had gone from sunny to black clouds and it started raining after I got home. Now, the sun is back out. It's supposed to be similar tomorrow. It has been really steamy with high humidity with all the rain this week. The system is coming up the coast and coming in from off the ocean. A cold front is supposed to get here Saturday night into Sunday and it will cool down and the high humidity will go away. Yay! I'm impressed you're doing rotations, however long they are!

Paula - Welcome back. I hope you get caught up quickly.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 05-29-20, 08:51 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Rael Pilates, System 17. We did grocery shopping and laundry and some food prep.

Watching the television as riots spread from Minniapolis to Atlanta and DC.

Anita, how scary for you and Gus! I hope you are able to stay safe. All these pictures remind me of the 60's and 70's. I was glad to hear earlier the Officer had been arrested and hoped that would help disfuse the situation but clearly it has not. So far, no violence (that I know of) in California but it wouldn't surprise me if it starts. I remember the riots after the Rodney King beating when the riots lasted for days and got close to my workplace. Oops, just heard unrest has started in downtown Los Angeles. I'm watching it on TV - not the crowds as in other cities - I hope it doesn't grow.

Deedee, Catalina is one of my favorite places. If you do go to the island you cannot hike to where the Eagle nest is, or I should say it's very difficult. You rarely see the eagles - you get a better view of the eagles from the live cam where you live in Tennesse.

Laura, the takeout Mexican food sounds so good. Sounds like a nice evening with your parents. I sorely miss a good Mexican restaurant. Hope your back is feeling better.
Old 05-30-20, 07:53 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Last night we had a curfew from 8 pm on top of the quarantine for Covid-19 - things were pretty quiet outside (other than one of my neighbors who drove his loud truck home at 9). I did hear helicopters covering the area also for the 10 o'clock news. Businesses that haven't been affected are shutting down and nailing boards over their windows to try to keep safe. Our main street by my house looks like a hurricane hit it . Hard to tell what's been hit and what is trying to prevent a hit. Lots more marches on the highway and through the neighborhoods in Minneapolis - I feel sorry for the people trying to make a business in the Lake Street area over there. My Latvian church is two blocks off Lake Street and is closing down. I've got friends that are moving from the affected areas and staying with friends and family in further suburbs. Lots of big stores are still closed - Target, Cub, TJMaxx, etc. Lots more restrictions on top of the Covid-19 ones earlier this year - I'm sure we'll have a big virus count leap in the next few weeks also...

Yesterday, I got the WRC and Gus walk done, but couldn't go down to the street to help clean up as they were using major equipment to sweep up the burnt buildings. Today I'll plan on giving Gus his walk, weeding my garden, doing laundry, and putzing around.

Dede, yes we do have a some marchers that are from out of town - some sports stars and actors are being interviewed on TV. I don't think the majority is anywhere near from being from out of town, but maybe not from the most severely affected neighborhoods. I don't know if I'm following months long rotations, but I'm doing the chair yoga class every time its on . I'd go to the same instructor and have their classes, like the kettlebell studio also - videos give you lots more ability to rotate through different workouts! You have that flexibility with your collection of videos!

Laura, happy b-day to your mom! Our Whole Foods are all closed down and boarded up... We've enjoyed cool weather in the 60's yesterday and today should still be good in the low 70's, but this coming week, we'll be close to hitting 90! Eeek! I should check my AC and get it ready to be turned on...

Paula, I'm seeing the riots go from city to city across the country also. Despite the arrest of the officer for third degree murder and manslaughter, its not first degree by any means and the victim did have other conditions with his heart and drugs that made him more likely to die - it's not a clear case any more. The rioters won't be satisfied... This may remain ugly for a long time... The videos of the Rodney King riots definitely are on the same scale as what's happening here in Minneapolis and Saint Paul...

Waves to all (from >6 feet apart)!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-20, 08:29 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

We're watching the news and it's just incredible. I just commented to DH that the protest cities are bound to see a big spike in COVID in the next couple of weeks and then read Anita saying the same thing.

I got an early start for a Saturday. I did a short band workout while watching the news. I need to get out to the UPS Store this morning to mail a box to WV, DH's sister. Her birthday is next weekend. And, I want to get some stuff done like changing the bed and getting some cleaning up done. We're supposed to get more storms this afternoon, so I want to do the stuff done out of the house this morning. The is supposed to come out (and stay out) tomorrow!

Anita - it's good you had a quiet night - well, except for the loud truck. It has to feel surreal to watch these events in your own city. Yeah, it's a good idea to have the AC checked out before it gets totally hot.

Paula - Yeah, my back is good. Thanks. It's a shame that the message of the peaceful protesters is getting lost in the aftermath of the violent riots and looting.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 05-30-20, 01:00 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Anita, I am constantly amazed by the temps you can stand before turning on your heat or AC. I guess it's because you have less humidity. We would turn on the AC long before 90!

The guy I watch on YouTube has stated that Covid cases would rise because of the riots. He also said the same thing about the pool party in Missouri. And today he said they do have one positive case for sure (from the Missouri party). They asked those people to self-isolate, but I doubt they have. They have created a mess for health workers in their city to deal with now.

When I said I was basically doing a months-long rotation, I just meant I'm cycling through the same workouts over and over. I used to pick a certain series and do it for a month and then move on. It kept me from getting bored. But now I'm very bored. I do have tons of DVDs to work with, but I have to modify all of them now. And I've been dragging my feet about that because I have to watch each workout and try to decide how to modify. I guess I keep putting it off because I dread all the work.

Laura, if you found anything at Whole Foods, you're doing better than I am. I've been there three times in the last three months and they have nothing. I know our store did most of its business through the hot bar, and now that's closed. I worry that the store will close. It's a small one, and probably not a profit-maker. I've been able to find a few things at Kroger and Food City, but not everything, and if they stop carrying those items, we will have no other options since Earth Fare closed.

Paula, I know you could never hike to the eagle nests. Law prohibits that. Dr. Sharpe has taken some people on boat tours and pointed them out from a distance, but yes, we have the best view from the camera. But the people who have gone on the tours say the island is just beautiful, eagles or no eagles.

I went out this morning to get labs done. I have appointments with the endo and the primary next month. When I got to the clinic, there was no one in the waiting room and only one guy at the desk. He was on the phone but when I walked in, he yelled at me to wait at the door. I noticed a table there with a couple of thermometers. I waited until he got off the phone, but he ignored me. Then he got another call. I was starting to get a little irate when he hung up from the second call and asked me if someone hadn't come out to see me yet. I said no, so he huffed and came over and checked my temp. You know, I could have picked up those thermometers and walked out, and no one would have known. They aren't doing a great job of watching things.

After he checked my temp, he sent me to the lab. When I got there, I told them I needed labs for both doctors. Well, the endo had sent in my order, but the primary didn't. So I'm going to have to go back. I see no point in seeing the doctor without labs to talk about. So I guess I will ask the primary to order the labs and reschedule me. I did go ahead and get the endo's labs. She sends some of them off, so I needed to get them done in time for my appointment with her on the 16th. It takes two weeks for those labs to come back.

Other than that, today is a lazy day for me. I'm all out of sorts so I don't know what I will do. Of course, the day is already half over. When I woke up this morning, I was confused. I thought it was a weekday. That's the first thing I do every morning when I wake up: ask myself what day it is. Such is life in 2020.

Everyone have a good day.
Old 05-30-20, 08:50 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was the PT stretches followed by Yoga with Kassandra Yin Yoga for Flexibility.

I have two medical appointments next week - the dentist on Tuesday and my annual on Friday. Got an email from the doctor's office that they have installed new protocols. Now they want you to wait in the parking lot, they text you when to come up, they take your temperature at the door, and you must wear a mask through the entire physical exam. Haven't heard a thing from the dentist office so I guess it's business as usual there, I'll let you know after I go.

Anita, I'm so sorry about what is happening in your city. I am sure some of the marchers and looters are from out of town, that always happens. Some people can't resist the opportunity to steal. As Laura said, it must be surreal to see all those events in your own city.

Laura, I will be watching to see if the cities where the riots are have a spike in virus cases in two weeks or less.

DeeDee, who is the guy you watch for information on the virus? I watch MedCram because it's all science and no politics. The only problem is that much of the science goes over my head. Catalina is a beautiful island eagles or no eagles. I haven't tried to go to Whole Foods or Mother's Market since the shut down. I did go into Gelsons, which is the same type of place, and they were hurting - like Whote Foods they rely heavily upon hot food sales and that's pretty much gone.