Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-14, 12:15 AM  
san4850

21 Day Fix question.....surrenders

Just started 21 Day Fix this weekend. I have a question on surrenders done in TBCF. It's really hard on my knees. Someone mentioned that you can substitute tall box climbs instead. I have the mini-step that Cathe Friedrich uses in her workouts, as well as the Firm's 14" tall box. So do tall box climbs have the same effect as surrenders do? I can't figure out if surrenders uses the same muscle groups as tall box climbs.
san4850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 08:17 AM  
Lilypad

I was wondering the same thing. I think that surrenders are a quad focus movement. I was trying to google a substitution for surrenders but I am having trouble finding one. If I do not find one I will do the leg press on the high step too.
Lilypad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 09:17 AM  
hdw
VF Supporter

I use pillows to cushion my knees. Just be careful not to trip on it on your way down...
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 10:18 AM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

I have used my rollerskating knee pads. They cushioned my knees and prevented tripping -- but my knees still weren't happy the next day. I have a sort of arthritis, with calcium crystal deposits in my knee cartilage. Back to the tall box.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 01:17 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

I haven't done any of the 21 Day Fix wos but Jillian has surrenders in one of her workouts. The difference is that we keep our arms up into an overhead press position. Doing it this way, I think surrenders work the core more than tall box leg presses. I'm not sure if you get the same effect if you keep your arms in the downward position of a shoulder press.
Old 04-21-14, 09:22 PM  
Lissa

I use my Cathe high step and do the tall box climbs. I don't know if it would be the same effect, but I tried surrenders once in Jillian's dvd and it was very uncomfortable.

~Lissa
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 10:25 PM  
CatInTheHat

I never understood surrenders (Jackie Warner calls them UFC's) because when they're demonstrated, the person (both Jillian and Jackie) go down on the same side over and over. Doesn't that mean you are really only working one quad? I ended up returning the Jillian video I had because of that very reason plus the fact that she'll do 14 reps on one side and 8 on the other, and I barely do the one of Jackie Warner with that move in it. They just seem ridiculously hard on the knees both when you hit the ground and when you are trying to get back up.
CatInTheHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-14, 12:56 AM  
nubiennelady

I do front/side lunge combos or squat/side lunge in place of surrenders.
nubiennelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-14, 08:48 AM  
mspina

What about walking lunges as a sub? Do the same arm movements, just don't drop that back knee all the way to the floor?

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-14, 10:36 AM  
pattyd0319

I thought about this move and this thread last night when I was getting up from a kneeling position on the floor and how it would feel to repeat this move over and over. I am not flexible, especially in my legs and I feel a lot of tension in my knees just getting up from a kneeling position. I would much prefer a lunge or modified type of lunge like a takedown lunge.
pattyd0319 is offline   Reply With Quote