Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-20, 09:38 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

We're supposed to have a free day in terms of appointments, but DH is having severe reflux that has reoccurred and he's trying to get in to see the doctor. I hope to get a lot done on website/video stuff. Yesterday, I got a blog post up on the website.

Anita - Congrats on posting. I hope the dentist doesn't find anything.

Paula - I didn't realize the group did quilts for that many groups. That's great. I was wondering if it was a baby qulit for that group.

Bee - It's neat that you're taking piano lessons. Adults can learn so much quicker than kids. A good teacher can make all the difference.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-20, 10:49 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Good morning! I was a bit sore this morning but went ahead with Pahla's Day 15, which was 15 seconds of cardio interval, 15s of rest. It was no repeat, so something like 35 different low impact cardio moves -- pretty impressive that she has so many different moves. Since it was just 15s of work the whole thing flew by very quickly and I felt less sore after I'd done it. Win, win.

Laura, do you play piano? And Anita, do you still play the flute? When I was in elementary school I played the trumpet and then in junior high and high school I played the clarinet. I think all of that music reading has definitely helped me in the piano department, but yes, different with that bass clef added in and both hands working independently.

Oh, yes, the multitude of equipment Cathe sometimes uses drives me nuts! I try to stick with her videos that require less, or sometimes I just forego whatever equipment she wants us to use.

Not much on tap for me today though I do need to pay some bills. Have a great day, all!
Old 01-28-20, 12:42 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Okay, I had to google rope pulling. Not sure I got it entirely. Is it on the ground? Hanging from something? I can remember when ropes were popular with the kettlebell community for cardio. Battle ropes, I think they called them. I never had the right flooring to use them, and I couldn't now with my shoulder. I did use to pull a sandbag though. I'd get in plank position and pull it through from side to side. Great core exercise.

Anita, it's depressing to have to give up equipment. I have a lot I can't use anymore, but I stubbornly hang on to them. I guess I'll get rid of them when I have to. Like when we move or something.

I have zero musical talent. I love music, but I can't carry a tune in a bucket and musical instruments are like foreign objects to me. DS is a natural. We did music theory for his fine arts course, and he taught himself how to play the keyboard in the process. I tried to get it but couldn't. I really wish I could play something.

Laura, I'm sorry about DH's reflux. My mom was on meds for about two years. She went off the med and still deals with it some. I wish someone could come up with a better treatment for it. She talks like it is awful to deal with. I hope he can get relief.

Paula, I'm glad your hip is better. I know you'll be happy to be cleared for regular exercise. I love Cathe - she's my favorite - but I'm having to modify pretty much everything of hers these days. I keep hoping she will slow down some since she's only a couple of years younger than I am, but she's a robot. She just keeps going. So I just keep modifying.

Bee, PHA3 just about did me in. The pushups were hard. I've only done it once and I liked working that hard, but I keep putting it off when I plan to do it again. So there must be a bit of a dread factor for me. I'm enjoying Step Sync and Imax 4, but I'm not using a step yet and I'm doing shorter premixes of it. I hope to add the step topper once I learn the choreography.

Yesterday was Step Sync Timesaver premix 2 (warm-up + combos 2 and 3 + cool down and stretch) plus my customized upper body workout. Today will be a Virtual Active spin bike ride. And of course, yoga with Adriene each day.

We've had rain and cloudy skies, but the sun came out today. Everyone have a good one.
Old 01-28-20, 09:45 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B's Chair Cardio/Strength. I went to PT this morning and I'll do the routine this evening before bed..

Anita, Hope you had better luck at the dentist than I did. I hope you don't need a new crown.

Laura, my group makes quilts and crochet blankets for many groups. We have donated to orphanages in Mexico and Africa. We have donated to disaster areas after tornatos and hurricanes. So our quilts are all over.

Bee, I played clarinet too! Enjoyed it much more than piano.

DeeDee, I don't know what rope pulling is either. Yeah, I'll be glad when I'm released from PT. It's going to be awhile yet.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-20, 09:15 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on getting a bunch of exercise equipment to a local boxing gym at around noon for a donation. Also a nice walk with Gus planned. Today I'll be cleaning house also.

Yesterday at the dentist went well - no problems found and got complemented by the technician that there was lots less tartar to scrape off my teeth - as to why as I'm doing everything the same...

Laura, hope DH is feeling better!

Bee, I no longer play flute but sometimes putz with a little carved woodwind if I feel the need for some music. I gave away my flute to a child starting music in grade school. That's cool that you played trumpet!

Dede, for heavy rope exercises, sometimes I'd anchor the end and do battle rope type moves just waving the rope around in different directions, at other times I'd weigh down the end (tied to plates or kettlebells) and pull it across the floor with me in various positions (facing the rope standing, facing away from the rope and pulling between my legs, facing the rope seated and pulling on one side or the other or laying down on the floor and pulling the pile from overhead). We tried securing the rope on the overhead bar of a weight rack, but it was a bit too big and slippery to be able to climb securely. I'd do the plank position and pull the rope in two directions either in front of my head or from between my feet, alternating arms. Yeah, that was a tough exercise! I gave up the rope when I left the work gym as I wasn't going to do much of that pulling in my house or back yard, but now that I've stopped kettlebells at the studio I used to go to and haven't picked them up at home in years, time for them to move out.

Paula, no crowns for me either in my mouth or on top of my head . I didn't know your group crocheted also! No knitting? I used to crochet as a kid, but never learned knitting - haven't worked with yarn in decades... My only artistic trend right now is buying a adult coloring book of patterns that I can use colored pencils in to bring out the patterns - haven't done many...

Waves to all!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-20, 09:44 AM  
boakley
VF Supporter

Hi All! Another busy week here with work and post work activities I'm still riding the injury/recovery roller coaster, but I have a new mantra that helps when I start to spiral downward. I've been using it for a bit - wrote it down a couple of months ago but now I'm keeping it in mind every day: Be patient, be grateful, be consistent. I recently trialed a website/app for runners called The Run Experience - found them on You Tube and did their 7 day free trail. I decided to give them some $ for a year membership that opens up other content and community access/coaching. I started doing their running strength program last week, and completed workout #3 yesterday. It's 2 strength workouts per week, geared towards making you a stronger runner. I'm also using their injury prevention program as a compliment. My cardio has been a mixture of walking, short walk/runs on the mill, some Leslie and some stationary bike. I'm foam rolling/ball smashing every day, and doing some Yoga with Adriene as well. Funny - one video recommended to me by one of the TRE coaches was Adriene

Bee - very cool you are taking piano lessons again. I took up guitar almost 2 years ago, but I'm learning via YouTube and on my own. I was taught a few chords as a kid but never had lessons per se. I LOVE it though.

Speaking of music, I got tickets to see The Black Keys in May - cannot wait! So excited they are coming here as I contemplated spending a bit of $$ last year to see them in Toronto.

I too didn't know what rope pulling was, just battle ropes which always looked like a great stress buster for me.

Paula - I think it's super cool your group's quilts are all over Hang in there with PT.

Anita - glad you had no trouble at the dentist, and that you found a place for some of your equipment.

Laura - I hope DH's reflux is better today. Good luck with getting videos and blog work done.

Dede - I think you still do A LOT for your fitness. And you haven't given up like so many people would. You modify instead

OK - back to work for me. Laura will appreciate this (maybe?) - we are being given the back-end support for our organization on Microsoft Teams. I also have to learn Power BI so I can do useage reports. It rolls out March 3rd although people won't be forced to use it. I will likely be asked to do some training on it as well. Waves to all!

Beth

Tom Petty
boakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-20, 03:32 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Paula, how neat that your quilts travel all over! Wouldn't you love to be able to follow one and see where it goes and how it's used?

Anita, a good dental report is always nice. I have problem teeth. It sounds as if you have lots planned today.

Beth, I'm also trying to be grateful for any move forward. I dwell too often on what I can no longer do. But I know it doesn't help. Foam rolling is great stuff. I used to be diligent about doing it, and it helped my legs. I hope the new program helps.

Well, today's workout was a doozy. Since I managed to get upstairs to the workout room early, I figured I'd do a longer, tougher workout. I did my customized upper body routine, then Step Boss bonus ab stacker (which I believe is getting easier even though I still have to modify a couple of moves), then PHA3 (this one is not getting easier, LOL), and then Adriene's Home practice for the day. I should sleep well tonight!

Everyone have a good evening.
Old 01-29-20, 07:10 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Hello. It was a pretty good day. I woke up early and had the time window to talk to my brother. It was good to get to talk to my SIL, nephew, and brother. I got another blog post done. And, I went to the YMCA and did a longer cardio workout on "my" elliptical bike. This afternoon, I took DH to a PT appointment.

Dede - Good job on the workout! I'm sorry your mom had to deal with the reflux. He has had more than the pain and has just felt terrible with it. He's on a new medication which we are hopeful will help. The rope I use at the Y is one continuous rope in a big, big circle and is wrapped around a round holder above. So, you pull it and it just keeps coming off that holder above you. It looks like this.

Beth - It's good you continue with the guitar. It's amazing what you can find on YouTube these days. It sounds like you found a good program to help you with the running.

Anita - It's good the dental visit was good news. I hope you actually got rid of the exercise equipment and it's outta the house.

Paula - Wow. I didn't realie it was that extensive. That's impressive. Like someone said; it would be interesting to track some of the quilts to see where they go.

Bee - I took piano lessons as a child and played in church some when they were desperate for someone. As an adult, I started playing handbells and that I did for 30+ years. I played in both full choirs and a quartet. I haven't played those since moving to NC and I'm not sure my hands would allow me to do it anymore.

In case you wondered about the time difference with my brother, he lives in Japan. They are 14 hours ahead of us.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-20, 09:15 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was a Fightmaster Yoga Stretch followed by my PT routine. Plan to do the PT again before bed.

Anita, good job finding a place to donate your unwanted exercise equipment. Yay for a good report at the dentist! Those rope exercises sound intriguing, but mostly hard. Yes, people in our group can knit, we've had some knitters in the past but right now I don't think we have any knitters.

Beth, I love your mantra, I may adopt it to help me with this endless PT. How neat one of yout TRE recommendations was a Yoga With Adriene.

DeeDee, yeah it's neat to know our blankets are all over and yes, I'd love to follow one and see where it ended up and how it is used. I hope at least one is well loved. Pat yourself on the back, you did a heck of a workout today.

Laura, how nice to be able to talk with your brother. Glad your DH has a new medication - I hope it works for him.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-20, 09:52 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on going to the library for the chair yoga class, giving Gus a good walk, and putzing around today. I did drop off my exercise equipment yesterday and it was appreciated over there! Not much house cleaning got done though , so that's still on my to do list... Tax forms are coming in the mail every day, so I work on that as they come in.

Beth, I need to adopt your positive mantra. My hip isn't responding well to the cortisone - pretty much back to where I was before the shot and turning in my sleep is now painful . That's right, you're a new musician also with your guitar! I'll be going to the opera in May with friends - not as good music as The Black Keys .

Dede, that's a wow workout! Hopefully you're not all sore today!

Laura, nice that you were able to talk to your brother! Is it last thing in the day for you and waking up for him? That's a cool rope machine! I assume the church would own handbells instead of you buying two or three - sad that you don't have somewhere to join the handbell choir and enjoy the music. I think reading that music would be as different as chords on piano or playing a clarinet as you're looking at sheets and only concentrating on two or three notes in it.

Paula, I thought about bringing the kettlebells to Play it Again to sell them, but you don't get much for them... At this gym I was able to give my old boxing gloves as well as chalk bag for the kettlebells. They do a fundraising rummage sale every year, so figured giving them my fitness DVDs would at least find an exercising audience. When I used to do the rope exercises, I did them in the exercise room at my work's gym - got a lot of raised eyebrows from coworkers . I did have some trainers join me sometimes to learn the rope options.

Waves to all!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote