Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-12-20, 11:34 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catahoula Cate View Post

Found a nice tip for anyone who might have luggage that needs to go. Instead of taking it to good will, consider your local foster care agency. Foster kids sadly, often end up using trash bags for their belongings and to have some luggage instead might help even a little with their self esteem.
This is true. There used to be a youth shelter nearby that asked for luggage. When I had some to donate they got it. I recently donated a duffel bag but just with my other stuff - the shelter moved to another part of my county.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-20, 11:46 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I have been downsizing the stuff in my family room. As mentioned in last year's thread, I went through cabinets and got rid of padded mailers and other things to make room for stationary items. This is in anticipation of getting rid of a computer armoire that I use to store those items now.

Friday my computer guy set up my new laptop computer and wireless printer/copier/scanner/fax. So my old color laser printer is on its way out, just listed on FB Marketplace. My old fax machine/copier is gone (probably to be donated or recycled) because it is now redundant. I LOVE my new printer as it prints double sided and is wireless so I can print from anywhere in the house. Unfortunately it does not scan both sides at once so I am going to keep my other document scanner which is a lifesaver at tax time.

I also went through drawers under the window seat and got rid of loads of cables and lots of program disks and stuff. This cleared more space to store office supplies.
Before DD went back to school today I asked her to go through her computer games. She got rid of some and the rest I put in her room. DH did the same and 25+ games have been listed on FB marketplace. The ugly pile behind DHs gaming computer is GONE.
On the way to the airport with DD I listed her old dorm sized fridge. It is sold-someone is picking it up tomorrow.

The Pottery Barn bowls are off the premises. They sold on Friday.
Finally some progress!
Leslie
Old 01-12-20, 11:55 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Just a note about cooperation from the family. If I ask DH or DD to "get rid of stuff" or to clean up a room I do not get much cooperation. However, if I ask them to go through clothing, computer games, or some other specific class of items they are much more likely to actually help out. I was astonished at how few computer games DH kept. He mostly buys games on Steam at this point anyway. I think seeing me make progress in the family room is encouraging him and he has been wanting some other changes to the room like a new floor so that is motivating him as well.
Old 01-13-20, 10:40 AM  
Catahoula Cate

Leslie, fantastic progress! Great tip on getting cooperation from the family too.

I'm hoping to gear up to declutter again soon. I think I've become somewhat of a post Holiday slug and colds to recover from.

Quit sitting!! Joints and muscles love motion!

Do The Next Thing!
Catahoula Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-20, 10:53 AM  
sherry7899

Leslie, you are doing great!

It is hard with family members. My son will get rid of things fairly easily. The stuff he wants to keep is mainly all in his room, so I don't care about that. He has some clothing in a spare bedroom closet, but that is no big deal.

My husband will barely get rid of anything. Oh, well...everything is on shelves or in boxes in closets or in our storage room, so it's not a huge deal. If they were piled around the house on the floor and on furniture it would be different.

I need to get started on a spare bedroom soon.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-20, 05:35 PM  
Vantreesta

I have two small boxes ready for the thrift store. One is glassware and the other is books with a couple VHS tapes. I updated my books, movies and workouts spreadsheets this afternoon. I am impatiently waiting for hubby to put away all the tubs in the basement (some are really heavy and I know my SI joints won't be happy if I try). Once he does that I can clean and reorganize my gym so it's more usable. I have replaced some of my VHS workouts with DVDs and want to watch the used DVDs before I donate the VHS.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-20, 10:35 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

I'm going through another round of decluttering - have several things I'll take to the thrift store this morning. Still making some decisions about some items...

I need some advice regarding some framed posters I have. The posters are from my favorite photographer (Joseph Holmes) and are nicely framed behind glass. I do have a book with the photographs in them, so I can see how much the posters have faded over about 25 some years - lost the reds and yellows in the photos, changing the quality of the greens, etc. I've taken the posters down and like the blank walls, but see some slight fading of the paint around the posters and of course the nail holes holding up the posters. There's no easy replacement of the posters with the exact images from before. So.... do I look for new posters to frame and put up using my current frames or do I donate the posters/frames and repaint my wall? I'll likely be moving in about 8 years, so unsure if I'll have the wall space in the new place to hang posters like this. Any words of advice?
sciencelady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-20, 04:06 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencelady View Post
... Any words of advice?
I think I'd paint the wall, since there's a bit of visible color fading there, then keep my eyes open for something intriguing to display there.
If I wanted to frame something, I'd get some better quality glass that filters out whatever it is that encourages colors to fade.

I've picked up cross stitch as a hobby in recent years but still haven't gotten around to framing anything. I sorta think I'll frame a number of pieces at once in a similar style so they can be grouped together.
Old 01-17-20, 12:01 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I agree with Bunny Hop. Paint the wall and wait until you find something that speaks to you to hang there. We get things in our travels that often end up on our walls. We are pretty much out of space and I frequently ponder what I would get rid of if I move.

The dorm size fridge and old laser printer are out of here! I have a possible buyer for a Samsung Gear 360 camera I got for free with my Galaxy S7 a few years ago. I listed the computer games on Marketplace as well.
I got DD to part with 2 high school textbooks. I didn't have to twist her arm on those!
Old 01-17-20, 07:38 AM  
Vantreesta

Leslie, your mention of textbooks reminded me I still have a number of my accounting textbooks from college 20+ years ago. I wonder if they're worth donating to the thrift store. I have the Gleim CPA exam study books too. Man, I think my rollerblades from high school are in the garage too. I should really get rid of those so I don't get a wild hair day and decide to use them and hurt myself!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
de-clutter, declutter, decluttering, downsizing, minimalist, minimizing