Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-24, 01:30 PM  
Daffie

Sticky step

I bought new equipment to have an exercise space at my mom's. I ordered new step from Amazon. It had bubbles in the black topper and made popping noises. Not fun like bubble wrap. I sent it back and got another one. It also had bubbles but smoothed out. But, the step still sounds sticky, like someone smacking their lips when they eat. The sticky isn't on top where I can wipe it off. I emailed the company and the reply was to poke holes in it. Since the bubbles are gone I don't know what he means. Would you send it back? I think I have had 3 other steps over the years without any problems.
Daffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-24, 01:42 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

sorry for this late reply, but i only read this now, long after you probably made a decision.

yes, i would return it. it sounds like the plastic/rubber or whatever it's made of, is already deteriorating.

i'm noticing that certain plastics start to get gummy over time. for example, several handles on umbrellas were getting gummy. They were various brands too. this also happened to the outside of a portable power bank, the kind you can plug your phone/device when the battery starts dying.

for the umbrella handles, i scrubbed it with Dawn soap and a dish scrubber. for the power bank, i threw it away because i didn't want it to get wet.

Quora Article: Why do some plastics become sticky after a while?
https://www.quora.com/Why-do-some-pl...20it%20brittle.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote