Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 11-17-19, 04:11 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Barefoot & On the Mat, Week of 11/17-11/23; "Shower the people you love with love..."

"Shower the people you love with love
Show them the way you feel,
Things are gonna be much better,
If you only will."
~James Taylor

The teacher incorporated this into the yoga class I attended this morning; she combined it with this being a month of gratitude.

Where is everyone? I was surprised to see no new thread yet this late in the day!

For anyone new, welcome! We shun shoes here, at least for some of our workouts. We like yoga, Pilates, kickboxing, barre, Essentrics, Classical Stretch, and more...do you? Then please join us! Post to say hello any time.

We are usually more chatty; I'm sure things will pick up! I'll be back soon to post my week.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-19, 04:26 PM  
JustSandra

Beth, thanks for starting us off!

I woke up shortly after midnight this morning, sick to my stomach with either food poisoning or a virus of some kind. I'll spare you the nasty details, but my body spend the next several hours getting rid of it. The worst is over but I am weak, tired and shivery. Am only drinking water, and trying to rest.

Obviously it will be a few days before I am back up to speed. Right now even returning to work tomorrow looks iffy.

Waving to all -- and hope to be able to resume at least gentle workouts by midweek.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-19, 04:51 PM  
gjv

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSandra View Post
Beth, thanks for starting us off!

I woke up shortly after midnight this morning, sick to my stomach with either food poisoning or a virus of some kind. I'll spare you the nasty details, but my body spend the next several hours getting rid of it. The worst is over but I am weak, tired and shivery. Am only drinking water, and trying to rest.

Obviously it will be a few days before I am back up to speed. Right now even returning to work tomorrow looks iffy.

Waving to all -- and hope to be able to resume at least gentle workouts by midweek.

I'm so sorry you are sick, Sandra. Take care.

Beth, thank you for starting the new thread!

I did Fitness RX workout #2. Then I walked outside with a friend this afternoon. I really liked this workout, but it definitely favored the upper body. I'll pick a lower body focus dvd tomorrow.
Old 11-17-19, 05:50 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Sorry for the delay; I got waylaid by laundry.

Sandra, oh no, so sorry that you are not feeling well! Take it easy; hope you are able to rest.

Gayle, one thing about Kelly is that she definitely favors the upper body! If you look at her premixes, the UB ones are always longer than the LB ones.

This was my second week of BB's 3-Week Yoga Retreat. The routines had a little more variety this week but are still beginner level.

Monday
30MTF Kickbox - Workout #1
3 Week Yoga Retreat, Week 2 - Day 1, Core

Tuesday
recumbent bike, 22 mins
3 Week Yoga Retreat, Week 2 - Day 2, Stretch

Wednesday
ActiveMotion (YT) - Balance II/Ignite (body bar)
3 Week Yoga Retreat, Week 2 - Day 3, Balance

Thursday
TAUGHT noontime class, studio class
3 Week Yoga Retreat, Week 2 - Day 5, Flow on the Go

Friday
3 Week Yoga Retreat, Week 2 - Day 4, Flow
James Knight (YT) - Gentle Somatic Yoga Live, Class 5

Saturday
TAUGHT Mind, Body, & Brew yoga class
Holly Dolke (YT) - Tone Your Arms/no equipment
Rebecca Louise (YT) - Back, Chest, Shoulders workout
3 Week Yoga Retreat, Week 2 - Day 6, Relax #2

Sunday
Power Vinyasa yoga class with Susan (Lululemon)
3 Week Yoga Retreat, Week 2 - Day 7, Take 10 Core

Power vinyasa is definitely NOT usually my thing, but it was Lululemon's free class, and it was an experienced teacher who I knew would be good (she teaches with my teacher). It definitely was a powerful class, but the vinyasas weren't super-fast, and she gave a lot of options. She included some nice mobility work in the beginning and some interesting transitions/poses, such as fallen triangle. Afterward, the teacher came up to me and said hello; either we have met before or just recognize each other from Facebook. She asked me if I taught power vinyasa and I said no, I don't even usually practice it. She seemed surprised and told me that I have a nice practice, so that was very gratifying.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 11-17-19, 06:51 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Today is a rest day. It snowed here yesterday. We got about 6 inches of snow.

Beth, thank you for starting our week. I like that quote.
What a nice compliment the yoga teacher gave you!

Sandra, a stomach bug is miserable and it sure does wipe out your energy! I hope you feel better soon.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-19, 07:17 PM  
Garrie A.

Beth: Thank you for starting us off this week! That is a lovely complement from the teacher. I can't get my heels down in downward dog either! Hope everything is ok at work. Janet Brooks in one of my Firm DVDs (BSS2 Upper Body Sculpt) says to "kiss the muscles at the top" during a double arm row, referring to squeezing the shoulder blades together.

Sandra: Sorry you're not feeling well. (((HUGS)))

Paine: 6 inches of snow?

Carolyn: That is great progress on your kitchen!

Sorry I've been MIA. Last week was crazy. One of the Ai Chi instructors has been sick, and I've had to fill in for that class several times. Monday's class wasn't very relaxing. The county swim team was practicing (in the lap pool) and a new coach kept blowing his whistle loudly at times. It was very distracting to us. I ran into him after class and kindly (but firmly) told him about the class. Then I called my boss to let her know.

Also, I got some potential good news about my bookstore job. All I can say at this point is...stay tuned.

Here was last week. I'm still plugging away at Cathe's STS program. Just two more weeks left to go of the first Mesocycle/month (Muscle Endurance), then I have a recovery week. I have to admit that it's going to feel a little strange having to take a week off from lifting weights, but I know that will give my mind and body a break. For that week, I plan on doing some bodyweight workouts (probably the Michelle Dozois BodyFit 360s), kicking up the cardio, and lots of stretching/yoga.

Here was last week for me:

Sunday:
STS Disc 4 (Chest, Shoulders & Biceps)

Monday:
Michelle Dozois Peak 10 Cardio Interval Burn Remix (Warm-Up, Blocks 1-4, then Cool Down.)
TAUGHT Ai Chi and Step classes

Tuesday:
STS Disc 5 (Back & Triceps...flowed much better than Disc 2)
TAUGHT Pump class

Wednesday:
STS Disc 6 (Legs...those darn stability ball wall squats came back to haunt me)

Thursday:
Karen Voight Sleek Physique Friday workout (Abdominals & Yoga Stretch)
TAUGHT Barre and HiiT classes

Friday:
Planned rest day

Saturday:
Cathe's LITE Rev'd Up Rumble (Did Basic Premix 4 which adds the Calorie Crush onto the main workout. The main workout was a fun little cardio kickboxing workout that was mostly low impact, except for the Calorie Crush which was higher impact. I still think KCM and Ilaria do kickboxing better.)

Today was Disc 7 of STS, which worked the Chest, Shoulders & Biceps. The weights stayed at 65% of 1 Rep Max (1RM), yet this workout was tougher than last week. There were a few new exercises thrown in, along with ones I had done the past two weeks. All of the tough push-up sets from the first two weeks were included here, and I had to do most, if not all of them on my knees. Last week I was able to do the drop set of 50 on my toes, but here it was placed towards the end which means I had to do them on my knees. I also hit muscle failure several times during this workout.

Waves to all!
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Retro Rotation!!

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-19, 07:27 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Garrie, keep us posted on your bookstore job news!

With 3WYR, it wasn't just getting the heels to the floor in down dog per se but the unrealistic idea of one's flexibility significantly improving after 10 days...or even the full 21 day program. I have seen flexibility gains with yoga, but it has taken years.

That being said, I think I am seeing a little improvement in my yoga squat, mainly because I don't practice it often on my own yet the program includes it. I will have to keep at it!

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 11-17-19, 08:32 PM  
cyana

Today:
Holden Streaming 11.14.2018 Class - AmaLi guest taught the last part of the class and this woman has some serious energy and an amazing crystal chalice bowl. The students who were in the room that evening must've had an amazing experience. I think I would've levitated home.......
MFML - Feel Better Flow - Adam Houcke. I really liked this - self-massage, a few down dogs, some all-fours, hip stretches, a couple of low lunges. Delightfully therapeutic when you aren't in the mood for an all-out vinyasa practice.
I finished up by listening to several crystal bowl meditations. During one, I had a vivid flashback to a wonderful dive I did in the Keys over 10 years ago. Beautiful sunny day with clear blue water, a giant grouper who was longer than I am tall and the real treat - a manta ray that kept gracefully circling around as if it knew I was about to burst with excitement since that's not something you typically see in the Keys.

Beth - I recognized Shower the People immediately - DH has been a huge James Taylor fan forever. One of the farmers at the market yesterday and I were discussing gratitude.....believe it or not this was sparked by some beautiful purple kale leaves, LOL. The bottom line, we agreed people become numb to their surroundings and don't take time to see the wonder in every day things.

Garrie - Keeping my fingers crossed for you on the job front! I think I might've had to misplace that guy's whistle.

Sandra - I'm so sorry you were under the weather last night and today.....hopefully the worst has passed and you'll start feeling better tomorrow. ((hugs))

Paine - Oh no.....you didn't escape before the snow fell. Hopefully you were able to stay home and enjoy it from the inside of your nice warm house.

Gayle - That was a very generous offer for PHA 2. I'd be happy to take it off your hands if you don't think you want to try to trade or sell it - since it's still fairly new.

Carolyn - I hope you're well into Kitchen Reconstruction mode this week!

Waves to Anny and Linda!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-19, 08:54 PM  
gjv

Quote:
Gayle - That was a very generous offer for PHA 2. I'd be happy to take it off your hands if you don't think you want to try to trade or sell it - since it's still fairly new.
Just PM me your address and it's yours! I'll be honest, I've never even previewed it so I'm just assuming it's not defective or anything. No reason it should be, just thought I'd throw that out there!
Old 11-18-19, 04:39 AM  
Anny

So sorry to hear you are unwell Sandra. Get better soon!

Beth nice compliment from that yoga teacher.

Fingers crossed for your bookstore job news Garrie.

I like your description of the Holden streaming class cyana.

Hi to Paine, Gayle and Carolyn and Linda!

Yesterday was upper body from Joyce's Fat burning book . Tonight I decided to do this week's new practice from YWA: Yoga for vertigo.