Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-19, 02:11 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

VF used to allow reviews of books - here's a webpage of VFer's reviews regarding Joyce's FB book:

Joyce Vedral--Fat Burning Workout

According to the following thread about how long the Fat Burning DVD segments are, UB is at most 35 min, LB is at most 39 min. I say "at most" because she has 2 versions of UB and LB on the DVD. And if the moves match what she has in the Fat Burning Book, then it should take you around 35-40 min to finish UB or LB.

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=27899

exerpt of a post from the Everything Joyce Vedral thread which explains the 2 versions of each workout and also that Joyce pyramids each body part:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna View Post
Fat-Burning Workout- there are two different tapes here: volume 1 is 20 minutes per day and is the basic plan, and volume 2 is the maximum plan, at double the length. You superset within body parts here: i.e. you have x number of exercises per body part depending on the tape, and you do one set of each of them with your lightest weight, then rest, then do another set of each of them with slightly heavier weights, then rest, then do one final set with your heaviest weight.

Joanna
The 2 DVDs I did the past several weeks, Top Shape and Bone Building Body Shaping Workout, uses the pyramiding scheme: 12 reps with lightest weight, 10 reps with medium poundage, and 8 reps with heaviest weight.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-19, 07:17 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Thanks for all the info, Jeannine..... I have been scouring the Joyce threads lately, it seems. Also got the 12 Minute Workout book today. I remain skeptical on whether or not that would really make a difference for me, but I'll try it!

I think I need to re-read, again, the lower body part of FB. I could swear she said the lower body is not set up as a pyramid.

Tomorrow I may do an Essentrics workout and then hit things again on Sunday. I think I'll stick with FB for three weeks at least, and then maybe mix it up with something else of hers.
Old 11-08-19, 07:47 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

I've had to work late over the past two days so just walking for me. I love how Joyce gets down to business, which is perfect for my busy life right now! I may do Definition tomorrow, not sure. I have almost all her books and DVDs, so much to choose from!

~Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-19, 09:41 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Thanks for all the info, Jeannine..... I have been scouring the Joyce threads lately, it seems. Also got the 12 Minute Workout book today. I remain skeptical on whether or not that would really make a difference for me, but I'll try it!

I think I need to re-read, again, the lower body part of FB. I could swear she said the lower body is not set up as a pyramid.

Tomorrow I may do an Essentrics workout and then hit things again on Sunday. I think I'll stick with FB for three weeks at least, and then maybe mix it up with something else of hers.
I think for the exercises in lower body that don't use weights, it's 15 reps in the video. I'll watch it again and let you know.
Old 11-09-19, 05:44 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post

i think you're right about the LB not being in a pyramid style. i recall reading that somewhere, but i'm not sure if it was specifically about FB, another JV workout, or just JV's LB stuff in general.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-19, 04:24 PM  
Anny

Hi everyone, I hope it's okay that join in! I am currently doing Joyce's Fat burning Workout from her book, a couple of times a week. On the other days, I am doing yoga or Pilates. Trying to fit being active and walking into my days as well.

Joyce has worked well for me in the past and I love that her routines are time efficient, so good for me right now with work.

Yesterday I did a modified version of the Fat burning lower body. I subbed other exercises for squats and lunges and only did 10 reps for each set as I had a DVT in late August in one leg and have to watch lower body exercises . I obviously did not pyramid !

Hi to everyone, and thank you for letting me join in!
Old 11-09-19, 08:35 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Welcome, Anny! Yes, the more, the merrier (any lurkers there ?) Sounds like you're doing pretty much what I am -- Fat Burning from the book and then some Essentrics, yoga, walking, and even biking thrown in. I got on my bike for the first time in a few weeks today -- so fun. Riding a bike on a beautiful day is like being a kid again, isn't it? Hope you're healing quickly.

Thanks to all for chiming in about the lower body pyramid or not issue.

I'll be back with Joyce again in the morning -- upper body.
Old 11-10-19, 04:10 PM  
Bebop

Hi,

Can I join your check-in? I am trying to get back into a rotation. I haven't been consistent with any one instructor - just doing what I felt like working around my shoulder. Now that I'm feeling better, I'd like to get into a rotation.

I work out once a week with a personal trainer, strictly weight training with machines. I remember how Joyce got me started. I'm figuring a check-in would keep me on check.

Caveat - I'm not a huge fan of Joyce lower body so I may sub in Cathe workouts or a Firm. Also, Joyce's ab workouts are boing so I need Cathe variety. I will do Cardio workouts with Cathe and others.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-19, 07:05 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Of course, Bebop, welcome! It's fine if anyone wants to join but isn't strictly doing Joyce. We all need a little variety sometimes!

I did do Fat Burning upper body today -- the Insanity version. I went pretty light with weights and it was pretty tough. I also walked for an hour with a friend and did another very quick bike ride. Nice weather -- too nice! We need some winter here!!
Old 11-10-19, 09:44 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

We are getting ready for another pre-winter storm so I worked in my back yard all weekend, raking up leaves and trimming bushes. I'm so glad to get it all done as the wind is already picking up.

~Beth