Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-19, 10:31 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Joyce Vedral November Group

Hey, I'm starting a checking for people trying out/doing Joyce Vedral workouts after the recent thread activity in the general discussion. I personally had never done any Joyce workouts, but that discussion made me curious and I think I'm going to like this for a change.

I'm starting with the Fat Burning workouts because it seemed to fit the bill for what I want to do -- I don't care if I lose weight, but I'd like to have more definition. I have the book -- no dvd's. I have two more books coming from ebay -- one is the 12 minute one and I can't even remember the other one. Yesterday I did upper body, today lower. The lower body instructions were not as explicit as for the upper body so I ended up doing 15 reps, three rounds, with light weight (5 pounds) where weights were used.

Hoping to see some others join in here. ealakey, I know how crazy a puppy makes life!! bzar, creatrix, hello? I think I've got those names right.
Old 11-05-19, 08:44 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Quick check-in for me.

Yesterday I walked and did Fat Burning upper, intensity level, about 30 minutes and used 3,5,8lbs to keep up with 1sec reps. If I want to work on strength I either slow down or switch over to Cathe. I think Joyce is really great for aerobic style weight training.

bee, I have most of the books and really like them. I had been working out to Joyce for years along with Cathe and Margaret Richard. I like to mix them up.

~Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-19, 04:48 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Beth, I also may mix up Joyce with other things. I was thinking I might do two days Joyce (upper, lower), one day Essentrics, two days Joyce. But I woke up this morning and was excited to do Joyce again, so I did upper. I tried doing the Insanity level -- I guess I did all things except the last back one. I used 3, 5, 8, and 10 depending.

I'm not sure I understand that bent shrug exercise for the back.

Edited to add that I meant to say this could be the Beth checkin so far, since my name is Beth, too.
Old 11-06-19, 06:59 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Beth, I also may mix up Joyce with other things. I was thinking I might do two days Joyce (upper, lower), one day Essentrics, two days Joyce. But I woke up this morning and was excited to do Joyce again, so I did upper. I tried doing the Insanity level -- I guess I did all things except the last back one. I used 3, 5, 8, and 10 depending.

I'm not sure I understand that bent shrug exercise for the back.

Edited to add that I meant to say this could be the Beth checkin so far, since my name is Beth, too.
Last night I did Fat Burning lower, intensity level. I used 8,10,12s for those. I'll probably do some yoga and stretching tonight.

Oh, that's awesome Beth! So I frequently think the same things about some of the exercises, the bent shrug one included, but I heard Joyce say once it put a lovely cut look to her back. I'm thinking I eventually need to increase weights for that or just stick with it, Lol. There is another one, the lying frog kick I think from another book, it took me forever to get that one. Once I turned my feet out I finally had that a-ha moment when I felt it in the inner thighs. I have a really hard time sticking to things; that's why I like to review the JV testimonials from time to time.

~Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-19, 09:35 PM  
creatrix

Hi, all! I'm doing Fat Burning from the book. I've subbed out a couple of exercises - either to be more back-friendly, or just movements I'm confident I can do with good form. I threw my back out making breakfast last month (lol) so I'm being cautious. I'm doing back flies in place of the pee wee flies, and dead bugs instead of crunches.

I'm easing in since I haven't worked out for a month - did upper and lower first set on Monday, and upper first and second set today.
Old 11-06-19, 09:45 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I've been thinking of some subs, too -- sort of feeling like my back might need supermans and maybe some pull-ups (from my fluidity bar -- I can't do real pull ups). Also, for the ab work I just do the routine that my physical therapist gave me -- I think it's about the equivalent amount of work and I know those are effective exercises I can do in a safe way.

Thanks for chiming in! I'm pretty motivated right now, but I know you guys will keep me more motivated if I start to get bored.
Old 11-07-19, 02:10 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

my 11/4/19 post from the general discussion:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
I did Bone Building Body Shaping workout #1 and half of #2 yesterday and today, respectively.

because she has 15 second rests between sets, I was able to heavy up. she uses the pyramid system in this one, and Martha is counting the reps.

I used 5, 8, 10# DBs, and even combined a 10# + 8# dumbbells for French press. for the LB portion in Workout #1, I used a 36# body bar for the squats, and in one case combined my 15# and 12# bodybars for one of the sets.

i'm surprised how much I am enjoying this DVD.
today, i did a Linda Wooldridge workout because i wanted to do some floor work. i did her Beginners Mat Workout, the outer thigh segment. it's about 30 min long, but fit the bill today for me.

the JV Bone Building Body Shaping DVD workout is a good one. I have the book too.

thought i'd mention that i borrowed her book "Top Shape 12 Weeks to Your Ideal Physique" which is geared toward men, but i think women can definitely do this routine. i have the DVD which is called Top Shape which includes Now or Never.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-19, 01:20 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

I did Top Shape DVD Day 1. it was a nice workout - some interesting twists, literally - she twists the move at the top of the contraction. the link below has a breakdown of this workout in case anyone is interested.

although Joyce uses a barbell in this workout (and sometimes dumbbells for concentration curls), Marthe uses dumbbells all the way.

again, in true Joyce fashion, she gets right down to business.

http://www.videofitness.com/~vfwnk/f...d.php?t=191704
to be clear, some people have mentioned this DVD has 2 workouts, but they're referring to UB and LB being on separate days; although Day 2 does contain back work, followed by true LB and Ab work.

this quote from the above link clarifies what you get on the DVD. I plan to compare the 2 books (Top Shape and Now or Never) to see if they're the same workout or different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSwede View Post
Top Shape and Now or Never are two different books by Joyce - geared towards men and women respectively - but only one workout on DVD. The DVD is called Top Shape - It's Now or Never! and features the two book covers on the DVD cover. The workout that Mandy described is what you get on the DVD.
This week, Collage had a 20% off sale, but I decided to wait until Black Friday or the next time Collage has a 25% off sale. I bought some of Joyce's DVDs from Collage, and right after that, they had a 25% off sale. I plan to purchase Joyce's Slow Duet and Weight Training Made Easy at the next big sale.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 11-08-19, 09:31 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hi All!

Jeannine, thanks for including the breakdown -- I'll be saving that -- and all the info on those. I have not yet received my other books from ebay -- makes me wonder if I will, but hopefully!

I did the lower body portion of Fat Burning for the second time today. I don't think I'm doing it right, but as I mentioned, her instructions for the lower half weren't all that clear. She said it's not really a pyramid, that you do as many reps as you can but aim for 15-25. And I ended up both times doing all the thigh work, then moving on to butt, and so on. Where weights were used I just stuck with the same poundage. I didn't go through all body parts because I knew I'd never make it through three rounds of that, mentally. So, I think I may be doing it all wrong, but I know I'm going to be sore! I did the insanity level mostly sticking with 15 reps but some of the butt ones I went to 20 since they are unweighted.

The idea of getting a dvd or two is sort of tickling my brain, but I am enjoying just doing the workouts and I know I have a little bias against dated looking workouts, so I'm not sure I will.

Happy Friday!
Old 11-08-19, 02:02 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

bee, I did some research on VF about the Fat Burning book vs. DVD.

Saw Mandy's pics & Now I have Joyce Questions
Excerpt from Mandy's comment (10th post in the above link) about the DVD Fat Burning (note - Mandy used all DVDs and was featured on Joyce's website, Collage, and VF as a success story).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
….Her Fat Burning workout and Definition workouts are tough because she uses the giant set WITHIN the same bodypart and also the FULL pyramid system where you go up the pyramid and then down. These workouts, she uses light weights and moves fast. So if you aren't used to it, you get frustrated and give up and want to quick. You have to use really light weights to start. I still use fairly light weights with Definition (5,8,10) and I have to pause my VCR. Sometimes I do the workout without the video. I use my own upbeat music. I've been using Joyce's workouts for over a year now. I rely on her for weight lifting alone. I use other videos for cardio.
Does anyone have results to report compared to FIRM results?

... But with Def and Fat Burning, I use 3,5 and 8 lbs with Fat Burning and 5,8 and 10 lbs with Def. Shoulders are my weakest to work. I hate working them! For bicep, I use 10,12 and 15lbs on the slower videos and 5,8 and 10 and sometimes 12 for the faster moving videos.

(Oh what about video quality, music, etc.?) I used to really care about the quality of the video and music. This was #1 until I found Joyce's weight routine. Now what matters to me is the science of the workout. It's the workout that matters. I'm not messing around anymore with workouts that don't work for me. I want a workout that gives results. I know that Joyce workouts aren't for everybody. I was just so amazed at how fast her workouts changed my body because I was so used to having to workout for a long time to get my body in shape. I gain so much weight with my pregnancies and have a hard time losing all the weight. I do lose it but it takes me so long. So when I saw how fast Joyce weight work changed my body in just 7 months, I knew I had found the workout for me. Like Joyce says, it's the best kept secret! I trust Joyce.
If you can stay consistant with them and rotate them, they will work for you.

Mandy

If you've lost weight using Joyce Vedral books...
-second post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by m42 View Post
Joyce vedral got me into lifting weights. I used the fat burning workout book and lost 20 pounds in about a month and a half. I did the reps very fast and I do believe this contributes to the effect. When I lift slower I got much bigger and had full fluffy muscles. Following Joyce I got small hard muscles. I also used Definition. And it gave me a lot of...definition. This plus Callanetics are my desert island, guaranteed results and I have them memorized.

thinking of trying books instead - any opinions on Joyce Vedral?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebop View Post
Get the books - the information is better and then you can do the workouts at your speed - Fat burning is one of my favorites. The videos follow exactly like the book so don't waste your money.

I also love the definition book - the workout is great and she has a great section on motivation.

Also, a very underrated but good book is her bone building workout. It is one of her easier workouts and is nice to do when you are in the mood for something light.

If you really wanted a video I would recommend Weight Training Made Easier.

Also, sometimes I just don't feel like exercising to a video - My son may want the TV or I want to listen to music or have a TV program in the background - the books are a nice way to do it.

Good luck.
General thread about working out from a book:
How do you workout with a book?

I'll pull out my Fat Burning DVD after I finish doing Top Shape DVD - I have Day 2 to finish - it's lower body. I have the FB book too - i'll take a look at it. Of the books, I've only done her Dorm workout book and one of the other titles - can't remember which one.