Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-23-19, 02:23 PM  
topfitmama

Let's talk results!

I got thinking about results when a fellow home exerciser asked me whether I'm seeing any after 1+ month of doing the same program.

I don't think I've ever seen or felt dramatic results. Slow, steady and hard to notice seems to be my style. But I have noticed that I miss the exercise and I get stiffer when I don't exercise, so I've concluded that I have negative results when I stop exercising and that exercise keeps me feeling good and progressing, if ever so slowly!

How about you?
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-19, 02:43 PM  
manleym

Agree! I'm not sure I have seen dramatic resuts either but like you, I get stiffer and don't feel as well emotionally or physically when I don't exercise. And I also miss it when I can't exercise. Consistency and routine are key for me. I'm reaching the age and stage (51) where it will be alot harder to see dramatic results. Motion is lotion so I'm going to keep at it for as long as I can.
manleym is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-19, 03:06 PM  
PhyllisG

I have seen definite results doing the Firm 90 day rotation. Also Cathes STS. I really gained strength but was not so pleased with how I looked. FeFit rotation definitely toned up and have to say it...fit into my jeans I hadn’t worn in months. The last is Tracey Anderson Meta. Omni. Used that after STS. So yeas I have seen results when I followed a set rotation.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-19, 03:15 PM  
alisoncooks

I saw results once...but not since. When I first starting exercising to videos I was using the Bar Method 3x/wk + cycling (not intensely) 2x/wk. I lost 20 pounds in just a few months, no dietary changes. BUT...I'd not worked out in years, I'd had 2 babies in 2 years, and was just at a place where the stars aligned, I suppose.

I'm much heavier now, but I think I've built a tolerance to exercise, lol. Now I've got to include the dreaded "d-word" to see results (and sometimes not even then...)
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-19, 03:43 PM  
seagreen01
VF Supporter

It’s hard to define results but I would say going back decades coming from yoga and high impact aerobics only I started The FIRM with weights and I did notice definite shaped quads and hamstrings, lifted more rounded glutes and better posture.

Thinking now, my best result is from exercising for decades. Now at 63 good muscle tone, still exercising with weights, walking, stretching and still loving workouts.
seagreen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-19, 04:59 PM  
prettyinpink

I don’t think a month is enough to see visible results unless you are working on losing weight, starting from almost no exercise or dramatically changing what you do, like lifting progressively heavier weights over a long time.

Some of us are at ages where we are just fighting gravity and happy if what we are doing maintains what we already have. Sometimes it takes a lot of hard work and working on balance or lifting heavier weights or pushing with cardio, just to do that.

My results tend to be more about how I feel. Better posture, stronger and able to lift heavier things more easily. I am not one for taking body photos, so I do think there might be other changes over time that are more subtle and gradual.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-19, 05:40 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I guess it depends on one's definition of "results." I've only done two actual rotations, STS once and Michelle Dozois' Peak 10 month program once. I can't say that I noticed a huge difference in my physique in either program, but I didn't really expect to as I wasn't particularly diligent about my diet. STS made me incredibly hungry.

I kind of do my own thing, with a mix of weights & cardio, sometimes on the same day, sometimes on different days. I've been focusing on weights more in the last month, and I have noticed more definition and tightness in my arms and legs. But it's not a dramatic change.

I agree that a month isn't much time to evaluate, unless as a previous poster said a person is starting from zero. Many of us here have been exercising for a number of years, and one month of a specific program probably wouldn't make a big difference.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-19, 08:34 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfitmama View Post
I got thinking about results when a fellow home exerciser asked me whether I'm seeing any after 1+ month of doing the same program.

I don't think I've ever seen or felt dramatic results. Slow, steady and hard to notice seems to be my style. But I have noticed that I miss the exercise and I get stiffer when I don't exercise, so I've concluded that I have negative results when I stop exercising and that exercise keeps me feeling good and progressing, if ever so slowly!

How about you?
After a month or so of something, I can notice some definite progress in what I can do, but I don't know if my experiences are what people would call "dramatic results." Regardless of what people call them, I'm content with gradual increases in ability.

Once I did feel a sudden change. Many years ago, I tried Pilates, added to my other activities, with a generally recommended schedule of three times a week for ten weeks. Sometime during the seventh to ninth week, I literally suddenly felt more connected and integrated during ordinary (non-exercise) walking. The change felt like a genuine functional improvement in a number of activities; it was not merely a pleasurable feeling, which by itself wouldn't be enough to cause me to sustain a habit.

(As usual, I must thank VFers for this experiment! VF was the first place where I heard about particular functional reasons to try Pilates. All of my prior reading about Pilates made it sound like just another "toning" activity that didn't interest me.)
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-19, 05:20 AM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagreen01 View Post
Thinking now, my best result is from exercising for decades. Now at 63 good muscle tone, still exercising with weights, walking, stretching and still loving workouts.
Those are probably my goal results now. I'm "only" in my 40s. I hope to be exercising and enjoying life when I'm in my 60s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
My results tend to be more about how I feel. Better posture, stronger and able to lift heavier things more easily.
Same here, and it takes time for me to notice that I've made progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hch View Post

I'm content with gradual increases in ability.

Once I did feel a sudden change. Many years ago, I tried Pilates, added to my other activities, with a generally recommended schedule of three times a week for ten weeks. Sometime during the seventh to ninth week, I literally suddenly felt more connected and integrated during ordinary (non-exercise) walking. The change felt like a genuine functional improvement in a number of activities; it was not merely a pleasurable feeling, which by itself wouldn't be enough to cause me to sustain a habit.
I'm happy with gradual increases too! Gradual=sustainable.
That's an awesome result you got from practicing pilates for 10 weeks!
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-19, 06:19 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I am 56, and have been exercising regularly since 1996 Gosh I feel old I have never been good at following programs, or rotations, but I have been consistent. I do cardio pretty much every day. I have sort of changed what I do over the years. I used to do a lot of Firm's and higher intensity cardio. Now I mostly do rebounding, walking for cardio. I still do weights, but I don't reach for my Firms as often as I used to. I do a lot of Pilates, some Essentrics, and right now I am doing Margaret Richards Unplugged workouts for weights. A little Yoga now and again as well I reallly think consistency is key. Also, exercise does help with pain and stiffness as we age, I really believe that.

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
results