Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-14-19, 11:32 AM  
Sollamyn

Cat-Related, so slightly Off-Topic, Question

Since losing my cat, Daphne (in my avatar, the one on the right), to kidney failure in November, my other cat, Chloe, has been rather unhappy with her sleeping/napping situation. She and Daphne always snuggled together--especially in winter. Chloe is now always searching for a warm lap to take her naps during the day. (She is always welcome to sleep on the bed with me at night.) However, I can't always be sitting around, so...anyone have any heated cat beds/mats that they like--or, more importantly, that their cats like? I have tried buying a traditional pet bed for her, but she is totally not interested in those. So I think the self-heating beds are out since she won't be in one long enough for it to heat up? She is not a chewer, so if the bed/mat has a cord, that would not be a concern.

Thanks for any help/advice you might have! Oh, and btw, I do NOT want to get another cat right now. Chloe is pushing 18 (if she's not there already--I don't know her exact age) and I would just rather not get her a new buddy at this point in her life.

Donna
Old 01-14-19, 12:12 PM  
difit

Donna so sorry for your lost of your cat. It's always hard when we loose our beloved pets. It's also hard when the pet was close to another pet.

You might try a baby blanket or something soft to snuggle with and fold it or bundle it up and put it where she might sleep when your not there. Also you might get a soft stuff toy so she can curl up with. You can start by putting the blanket on your lap when she sleeps on your lap. If you have some thing that has Daphne scent on it rub the blanket or stuff toy with it or even your clothes so she recognize your scent.
difit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-19, 12:39 PM  
Trixoo
VF Supporter

Donna -

I'm so sorry to hear about your Daphne. I recently bought two different heated beds and my cats love both of them...really, really love them. I wouldn't say they love one over the other; however, they previously had one of the same brand, but it was a bed with higher sides and while they liked it and used it, they didn't love it as much as these.

I got them this: https://www.chewy.com/kh-pet-product...hion/dp/148431 Hmmm...looks like they have another one...I'm not sure which I bought...I think the smaller one https://www.chewy.com/kh-pet-product...shion/dp/54595

And this: https://www.chewy.com/kh-pet-product...ddle/dp/103023 (this one is slightly more padded)

I found the other one they had and liked, but didn't love: https://www.chewy.com/kh-pet-product...t-bed/dp/54489

I hope this helps your Chloe and hugs to you both (although she probably wouldn't appreciate a hug... ).
Trixoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-19, 12:46 PM  
bfit

I'm so sorry about the loss of your cat. Losing a pet is very hard. As for the warm bed, there are little "hot water bottle" type things that you can buy to put under a blanket; they contain a gel and you heat them up in the microwave. The heat lasts quite a while, but not indefinitely. Another thing we've tried is one of those little cloth "houses" or "huts" for cats. It's like a little cave they can curl up in, and their own body heat warms it up inside. We had an older cat (who passed away) who was cold all the time. She never really liked the gel pad in the blanket, but she loved her "hut". We put it on the floor near the heating vent, and it was like a sauna in there! She spent half of the winter in it!
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-19, 12:56 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I'm so sorry for your loss of Daphne. I'm sure it's tough both on you and on Chloe as well. When we lost our boy who was very close to the female we adopted with him, we could see she grieved when he was no longer around. They definitely grieve for their companions. The female---who just passed her 17th birthday---loves the heated gel filled disc that bfit described. I reheat it periodically in the microwave and if she moves from one of her spots to another, she sits there and yells at me until I move her disk with her. She loves a soft blanket or anything flannel or terry cloth, even in the summer time. Good luck at finding what Chloe likes.

bfit, we've had our eyes on one of those "huts." I think at least one of our guys would love it (we currently have 5, 4 "senior citizens"). Glad to know your girl liked it.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-19, 05:29 PM  
Sollamyn

Thumbs up Thank You!

Thanks for the responses!

Chloe was certainly confused and lonely for a few weeks after her sister's sudden absence. She has improved, but she still cries in the hallway sometimes. Daphne was my little sweet and gentle girl and my most frequent lap cat. I think she and Chloe had it worked out somehow that Daphne got my lap when I was on the couch and Chloe got it when I was sitting at the dining table. Anyway, my lap is all Chloe's now, and she often follows me around crying when I am not sitting. As for me, I still miss Daphne and I know I will for a long time. Her cremains are on the shelf in a pretty box, next to her brother's (Solomon--my profile name is derived from his name). It comforts me to have them there, together, even though they never met in real life.

Thanks for the heated bed suggestions. I really think a heated bed would be the most enticing for Chloe. I've tried just about everything else already. A heated bed is my last hope! I will order one soon, and update this thread when I get Chloe's reaction.

Donna
Old 01-14-19, 05:31 PM  
sherry7899

I don't have any advice, but I wanted to send you hugs. I am so very sorry for your loss. It is so difficult. They truly are members of the family and their loss leaves a big hole in your life and your heart.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-19, 07:18 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Donna - sorry about your kitty.

bfit and cataddict -
could you provide a link of the gel disks?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-19, 07:33 PM  
Sollamyn

Thanks, Sherry and Jeannine.
Old 01-14-19, 08:48 PM  
sunday

Donna, I’m so, so sorry to hear about your fur-baby. We have three kitties - ages 14 years, 13 years, and 10 months - and they are our children.

Just wanted to offer you ((((hugs)))).
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote