Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-19, 07:18 AM  
furmomof6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
This is a thing? I need to know more, if you don't mind. Are there cds available?
Not sure I'd know how to search for such a thing.
Yes, I love it! I discovered it one day on Youtube when I was feeling particularly anxious. I searched for "scriptures on peace" and a ton of videos came up. You could probably search scriptures and any topic together and get results, too. It's all set to lovely background music, though not all classical. This is one search result I've gotten:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...tures+on+peace

Also, this is my favorite so far on CD by Theresa Rowe. Scroll down the page and you'll see the CD's and digital downloads available. I have the healing one which is set to a really nice piano piece, but there is also one with blessings set to blue grass.I don't have that one, but want to get it.

https://www.shapedbyfaith.com/product-category/media/

My shop wordforthesoulart.etsy.com

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Timothy 4:8)
furmomof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-19, 08:26 AM  
Sollamyn

I think that what works for me depends on the type of stress I'm experiencing. Most of my stress relievers have already been mentioned but here's my list:

- Entertainment: The Office!! Yes, I have watched that series several times over (or other sitcoms like Friends, 30 Rock, Parks and Rec). I watch comedies when I need something light, when I am having trouble focusing on things. I mean, I also love British murder mysteries, but I just can't focus on those like I need to whenever I'm feeling stressed.

- My pets! I don't have any pets right now, though, so...I have to find other ways to deal with stress now.

- Music I can sing to! I've been singing in my car a lot lately to relieve stress. I've been driving more than usual, an hour each way to the hospital where my dad has been since last Friday. Lots of stress , lots of singing.

- Crossword puzzles! I've been doing many of those while sitting around in my dad's hospital room. I also like jigsaws, but those don't transport very well!

- Decluttering! While I don't find the process particularly calming, I love the end result of a decluttered drawer, closet or corner of a room. It feels so good afterward!

- Jane Austen! I have the 6-part version of Pride and Prejudice (with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle) and I watch it whenever I need to slow down and be comforted. I don't know why but I find that series very relaxing, familiar, and comforting. Any Jane Austen is that way for me. I'm reading Persuasion right now for the calming, comforting benefits. I think it's because there's always hope in those novels (and no violence!).

Donna
Old 11-21-19, 09:27 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post
- Jane Austen! I have the 6-part version of Pride and Prejudice (with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle) and I watch it whenever I need to slow down and be comforted. I don't know why but I find that series very relaxing, familiar, and comforting. Any Jane Austen is that way for me. I'm reading Persuasion right now for the calming, comforting benefits. I think it's because there's always hope in those novels (and no violence!).

Donna
Just last night I started watching P&P (again) while folding clothes. I also love Persuasion.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-19, 09:37 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontmindthemess View Post
Sign me up!

When I’m feeling down (and even when I’m not) I like to watch The Office. There’s just something super comforting about that show for me.

Jane
Definitely this !! DH thinks I'm insane but there is definitely something super comforting about it. I have it on constantly even when I'm doing other things around the house. I never connected it with being stress relieving but I think that's definitely it. I've also been known to binge watch Seinfeld and Friends and others, but there is something about The Office ...
summer breeze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-19, 10:15 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
Definitely this !! DH thinks I'm insane but there is definitely something super comforting about it. I have it on constantly even when I'm doing other things around the house. I never connected it with being stress relieving but I think that's definitely it. I've also been known to binge watch Seinfeld and Friends and others, but there is something about The Office ...
My husband rolls his eyes when I put on the marathons on Comedy Central on the weekend. I do cleaning, laundry, batch cooking and baking while it is on.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-19, 10:36 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
My husband rolls his eyes when I put on the marathons on Comedy Central on the weekend. I do cleaning, laundry, batch cooking and baking while it is on.
Lol. I do the same thing.
summer breeze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-19, 10:36 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by furmomof6 View Post
Also, this is my favorite so far on CD by Theresa Rowe.
relevant to VF: apparently, she does fitness DVDs too with a Christian theme.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=theresa+r...f=nb_sb_noss_2

sherry - thanks for the tip on her CDs.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-19, 12:11 PM  
Dontmindthemess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post

Definitely the best version of P&P in my opinion! I usually rotate between the audiobooks of P&P and Persuasion. I listen to them as I’m falling asleep. Sometimes I throw in S&S and Emma to keep it fresh. Austen is a super clever wordsmith!

For all you Office fans out there I’ve been listening to The Office Ladies podcast with Jenna Fischer and Angela Kinsey. They are going through each episode and I just listened to Hot Girl. Lots of little tidbits and inside stuff. It’s a nice listen if you’re up for an hour podcast about a half an hour show. I know I am!! I want to be Angela’s best friend! She is so funny!

Jane
Dontmindthemess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-19, 03:19 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

a purring cat is an AMAZING remedy for stress.

Reading/watching things that make me laugh. Dave Barry works really well for me.

Doing something creative, whatever that is for you (knitting, cross-stitching, flower arranging, painting, building, whatever is your thang.)

Listening to music.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-19, 04:38 PM  
sherry7899

This will sound weird, but I actually enjoy organizing things , and I find it relaxing. I don't mean having to tackle a huge overwhelming project, but I like organizing smaller areas, like one or two drawers or shelves.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stress relief