Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 11-20-19, 04:22 PM  
buffmama

Remember your motto: don't look. 😉. Some people have one silicon seal for sweet and one for savory. Or you can soak them in vinegar. I don't even think about it and it hasn't been a problem. The liner is removable stainless steel, so easy to clean.

Question for you. Would you train longer than 6 months for 26.2? The universe may be telling me to, but I'm not up to it at the moment.
Old 11-20-19, 09:43 PM  
SandyO

buff, I was signed up for a first week of May marathon, and I took Nov and December completely off from running. Then I ran a mile everyday on the treadmill in January which I don't recommend. It really ended up hurting some parts of my body. Then weather happened, so I wasn't able to run outside... followed by a switch to the half. My point is, I went in with only four months tops to train for the marathon coming from two months off. I really think I could have done it, if I had been able to get in some miles outside. I assume you are going to keep up some level of running once all your PT issues are cleared, so I would think 4 months of marathon training building from consistently running 5k three times a week in the winter/spring should get you to a fall marathon.

But what do I know. I always just wing it.

I checked out one of the parks. It said it has 7 miles of single track and 2 miles of double track. I headed out on the mountain bike single track trail hoping the trails were well signed, and they were. I stopped at a sign, decided which way to go, kept going until I was ready to be done, and then hopped on the double track ski trail. The single track was slippery with wet ice and mud in many places, hazardous from all the twisty roots, delightful from all the beauty. I was the only one there, and I kept thinking this is so much more fun than Terrace or M-H. If people were there riding bikes, I'd probably go on the boring but safe ski trails at least until there is enough snow to groom.

I can't wait to check out the other park. Next nice weather day...

Sandy O
Old 11-21-19, 08:56 AM  
buffmama

Thanks Sandy for the thoughtful reply. I think I'm looking at about 6 months of training starting the last week in March. I also think I'm switching to Grete Weitz's plan and modifying to add an extra month on the front of it and extra cut back weeks between all the long slow runs. It also involves 4 days of running a week, not 3. And I'm planning on monitoring my heart rate (hey, there's a free app for that!) to make sure my long slow runs are slow enough and that I take easy/rest days when I need them. My non-running days will need to be well controlled to make sure I get the strength and flexibility work that I need in.

Love hearing about the new trails.
Old 11-21-19, 11:11 AM  
Vantreesta

I just heard about the changes coming in January to YouTube bc of the COPPA law. I'm surprised no one has started a thread about it bc it sounds like channels could be affected even if their content isn't directed at kids. Maybe it won't affect fitness channels as much?
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-19, 12:02 PM  
buffmama

Off to read about the new laws. How is the pilates and rehab going Vannie?
Old 11-21-19, 12:13 PM  
Vantreesta

It's going okay. I expected to have sore abs but nope. Not so far. My glutes are sore though so smthg is working!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 11-24-19, 07:47 PM  
Vantreesta

Yesterday we sat all day playing D&D so today I've hardly sat down until a little bit ago. Sitting a lot makes my hip worse but I ended up hurting anyway. I used the foam roller and YTU balls to massage my left leg and hip (plus a few stretches) for 25 minutes after supper. I've done dishes, laundry, added more music to the USB I listen to in my car and put out more Christmas lights.

Old 11-24-19, 09:21 PM  
SandyO

The one park I was going to go to ending up being a fee required recreation area. I didn't have cash with me, so I ended up going for a walk to my sister's. The next day I looked online on google maps for local parks, and I found one about 1.5-2 miles away. On the way I checked out the middle school to see if their track would be accessible. It isn't fenced, so maybe next spring or summer I can try some track speed workouts. This morning I walked on another part of the paved trail.

I looked for used bikes on facebook Marketplace since the paved trails here are so plentiful. We are now the owners of one men's and one women's bike. Mine is a mountain bike because it was in good shape and a perfect fit. Scott's is a road bike in amazing shape. I think I will use the bike to ride to the park and then run. I'm not crazy enough to think I can ride the mountain bike on the trails...or am I???

I also ordered a 6 qt Instant Pot, the lowest version the LUX. We figured we'd see how well that does for us and maybe try the 8 quart in a higher version like the Duo in the future.

We also got the 12' by 6' Gorilla Mat. We are spending money like water. Since we threw out our mattresses in MN, I got a 6" memory foam mattress since the sleeping bag on the floor is not too comfortable.

Sandy O
Old 11-25-19, 07:15 AM  
buffmama

Instapot tips: You probably need more spices than you would otherwise use. Not sure why, but youtubers have commented on it. Start with boiled water to speed things along (yes, I got an electric kettle). Shut off the keep warm for it to come down from pressure a little faster. I have even used the delay start to have rice ready after work on Sundays! Great to boil potatoes, cook whole winter squashes. I've also made nondairy yogurt in my big one - we don't really eat it so I stopped. I used a commercial yogurt as a starter since it was the cheapest way to go.

I have p90x3 to try next. I'm keeping a running list of things that would work with marathon training - large muscle focused and glute focused. I'm thinking I will schedule my strength training on a weekly basis unless I do NROL. So far NROL Life seems the best, most complete and least fussy. After this rotation, I will move on and then come back to it.
Old 11-26-19, 01:09 PM  
SandyO

December Thread

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=227315

Sandy O