Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-22-19, 10:32 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I lived in Newport, OR for awhile and I liked it there. I rented a little house on a cliff overlooking the ocean. I think my rent was $290 a month if you can believe that. I didn’t find it too cloudy or rainy- it was pretty mild year round. I think the cost of living is pretty high there now. I still have a good friend who lives there and she’d like to see me move back, but I want to research a little more.
That sounds lovely! (Especially the price, lol!)
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-19, 11:28 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I would love to retire to WA or OR for the same reason, but my husband says it would depress him. The one thing that gives both of us pause about trying to retire to a cheaper area...... how would we replace our friends and community? In our lifetime, we've found community mostly through work or kids. Where we are now we have a nice established network of friends and well, community, is the best way to say it. Does anyone else think about how to replace this?
Bee, that's a big dilemma of mine. I tend to think that losing all those personal ties might not be worth the savings. Especially if you like your area.
Pat58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-19, 12:03 PM  
Vantreesta

I'm no help either. I live in southern MN and love this state! If we left MN the only place I can think of wanting to move to would be WI. I don't like seeing dead deer either but I love this part of the country too much to want to leave.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-19, 12:07 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Bevatron - you have convinced me to add Washington to my retirement consideration list. I love cloudy and overcast weather - when it's cool! I hate the sun!
Me too!
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-19, 12:12 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Me too!
Me three!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-19, 12:44 PM  
ardnas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
I’m retired now and working toward moving someplace that’s a little more in line with the way I want to live. Northern Wisconsin is beautiful, but I’m sick of the brutal winters and I’m also an animal lover and I’m sick of seeing dead deer hanging in everyone’s yards and sticking out the back of their pick up trucks. I’m also tired of run ins with the bear dog hunters who run their dogs on my property. I’m not trying to criticize anyone here who hunts - I just want to live someplace with less hunting and a milder climate.
Totally relate! I live in SE WI and don't eat meat cheese or dairy, hate the Packers/tv sports, and would love to live somewhere with less weather extremes. Thankfully I don't think I've ever seen any dead animals when the hunters come back each year - other than a few posts on FB. I do love the changing seasons and the few first snowfalls - but after that it gets depressing and too cold. That said I live within an easy commute to Milwaukee or Chicago and there are some amazing forest preserves in NE IL with bike trails we love to ride & hike, we're less than 5 mins from Lake Michigan, every weekend in Summer Milwaukee has music & ethnic festivals on the lakefront, there is a large bead & jewelry show in June downtown, lots of craft beer breweries all over Wi, Il, & IN (not really a big beer drinker, but I'll always grab a 6pk of Zombie Dust when available!), and my city has a large European style outdoor market at the harbor every Saturday (moves indoors for winter) as well as many farmers' markets with freshly picked produce in warmer months. I love being able to get to the woods away from it all within 5-20mins.

lol, this is my city.

We will be moving in Spring - upsizing to a newer house around here or a city or 2 north until we retire - but we've been discussing where the heck to retire to. Colorado or Oregon seem ideal as far as nature & temps - except for pot legalization - I am allergic & the smell gives me rashes, headaches, etc even if it is being smoked blocks away from me. I don't want to be anywhere near the smell or smokers. I've been all around the country and the only other state that really spoke to me is Montana - but I would imagine weather is even more severe there. Not sure where we'll end up.

Good luck - let us know what you decide.
Old 10-22-19, 01:13 PM  
marki64

People rave about Tennessee. I have heard nothing but good things about Tennessee. My brother and SIL spent a week in Nashville and said it is a beautiful city. They loved most of the state. No extreme weather and lots of fun.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-19, 02:04 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Bevatron - you have convinced me to add Washington to my retirement consideration list. I love cloudy and overcast weather - when it's cool! I hate the sun!
Oh Pat, I’d love it if you moved to WA state! I’m not far from there on Vancouver Island, we could get together! I love the west coast....very mild winters, little to no snow, green all year.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-19, 02:49 PM  
Gams

I have a friend in Nashville and I do LOVE classic country music. I was thinking maybe we should put together a Video Fitness caravan and we could travel the country and drop people off along the way when they find a town that appeals to them?
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-19, 04:57 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Bee, that's a big dilemma of mine. I tend to think that losing all those personal ties might not be worth the savings. Especially if you like your area.
Yes..... we do love it here, but we have too much property to be able to properly maintain in our old age and...... the fire danger is very real and scary where we are. I'm sure there's a move in my future at some point.... just a matter of how far away. We may just downsize and stay in the area, but where the fire danger at least seems less.

Tags
getting to know you, retirement, retirement locations, where do you live