Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-13, 08:14 AM  
spaceygirl

Talking Jari and the dread factor-long just like her w/os

Maybe it is that I just turned 50 but within the last year, I have completely changed my tune when it comes to workouts. I used to be up for hour long, fairly high rep, high level videos but lately, I seem to wimp out even after planning for it and setting up for it before. Friday is my only morning that I can actually give more than 45 minutes for a workout but for the last few weeks, I have every intention of doing a Jari and then right before I get set to pop in a dvd, I change my mind and say-not in the mood for her kind of intensity or monotony (she is not the only instructor that makes me feel this way but she is surely a good example).
Lately, I would rather do a Jessica Smith online video or something just less intense and more "fun"-So today after being all set up to do Ripped to the Core, I said "NAAAAAH" and stuck in a VHS tape of Gay Gasper doing some combo step/floor aerobics and tubing-fun, gentle-ish and no dread. I am actually thinking of totally getting rid of my Jaris, some Jillians, Amy Bento and Dove (do not have the heart to chuck Cathe perhaps cuz they cost so much...)
Anyone else w/ me on this?
spaceygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-13, 09:37 AM  
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceygirl View Post
I am actually thinking of totally getting rid of my Jaris, some Jillians, Amy Bento and Dove
I just want to congratulate you on not playing the "But I might want it someday" game. I'm trying, but mostly failing, to give up that game at my house.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-13, 09:47 AM  
mtnmom

I'm 54 and for the last year and a half, can't motivate myself to do hour-long workouts like I used to. 45 minutes is optimum for me these days. I still have 3 Jari workouts, but even the original is 55 minutes. I'll do that every once in awhile. But her style is so dry. Why do stuff you don't enjoy?
Old 06-14-13, 09:53 AM  
spaceygirl

Wink thanks

Thanks - always good to know I am not alone. So true about why doing anything I dont really like.
spaceygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-13, 10:02 AM  
PhyllisG

I got rid of Jari, Cathe a few years ago and never looked back. I do a lot of fusion but also like Les Mills Pump, Erin O'Brien and Michele Carmichael. With Jari it was not so much the intensity but the boredom factor. With Cathe it was the amount of equipment used and the endless reps and lo ends. LMP does lots of reps and lo ends but at a faster pace I am no longer interested in working one muscle group until the end of time. I rather do total body at a faster pace.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-13, 10:14 AM  
blessed_mom_to_3

I decided this a long time ago (last summer, I think), that I only wanted to do workouts that I enjoy and that feel good to me. For some reason, recently I started thinking I "ought to" start doing harder workouts, since I couldn't really hang out in Beginnersville forever, right? Or so I thought. So I acquired a few Toniques (including Born to Move ) and the Dream Body set. Well, for me, these workouts equate to nothing but dread and discouragement. I made it through one full DB workout, taking a slower pace than the instructor, but found the frenzied pace and constant talking just left me feeling wound up afterward. Then I tried the Fusion with Darby the other day and made it five minutes in before I was like, this doesn't feel good. Why am I doing it? (And won't she be quiet? But I digress.) Same with Tonique. Got about 5 minutes into Energy Mat and was feeling like it was just such...drudgery.

I'm not into drudgery these days. And I suspect I never will be again. So I've made the decision that I'm going to be happy camping out in Beginnersville from this point forward, because that's what feels good to me and gives me energy and keeps me in pretty good shape. Could I lose 10 lbs? Sure. But is stressing my body with killer workouts that leave me miserable the way to do it? No. That is not wellness.

Some people thrive on tough workouts and love the endorphin rush, etc. I admire these people very much...But I am not one of them!
blessed_mom_to_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-13, 10:48 AM  
laurajhawk

I haven't done Jari for awhile (but I'll get back to her ) but when I do, I nearly always break up the workouts. That's one reason I don't like her newer ones as much: the older ones always had clear chaptering by body part, so I would do just the upper body chapters for example, making it a shorter workout. (Actually, I usually did upper-body with Jari, then on another day I'd do a barre workout for lower body.)

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-13, 11:45 AM  
Conni

I just can't stand the dark sets the Jari has been using. It makes me just skip her workouts completely.
I used to really love Slim and Lean, but I can't stand looking at that one background woman's too tight pants..

I am also getting away from the low weight hi rep stuff and getting into heavier lifting with Cathe, so that has something to do with it as well.
Old 06-14-13, 12:21 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

The only Jari I do regularly is her Weights & Abs routine from Lean Machine. Very "Jari" in feeling but you're done in 30 minutes - perfect!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-13, 12:41 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceygirl View Post
Maybe it is that I just turned 50 but within the last year, I have completely changed my tune when it comes to workouts.
^2, yeah that.

nowadays, i turn on an hour-long DVD and simply stop at the 30 min mark.

today, i did a book workout by Joyce Vedral with a "women's health" DVD playing in the background so that i had someone to work out with.

i was able to do 20 minutes before i had to get ready for work. i feel great and undreaded.

it's days like these when i've even entertained the thought of doing workouts led by men who are pretty much drama-free.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote