Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-20-19, 06:41 PM  
seabliss

Valerie Waters has bladder cancer

For those of you who enjoy Val Waters' workouts, she's been posting some honest struggles on her social media accounts about her bladder cancer surgery and treatments, which just started in January.

Here is her message about the issue:

This too shall pass…

January 2nd 2019, I had a tumor removed from bladder. I was told I couldn’t workout for 3 weeks or lift anything heavier than 8 lbs. I was like, “3 weeks! oh no!”. It’s January. I’m a trainer and this is our season. Plus, all the other trainers are posting their hard workouts on Instagram and I can’t do anything!

Then a few days later I found out I had to have a second surgery and the total time off would be 2 months. I just couldn’t imagine it. I hadn’t taken that much time off from working out in 25 years. It seemed like forever.

And then it passed.

It’s now been 2 weeks since I was given the green light to start training. It’s been humbling and I had to start slow. But after almost 2 straight weeks of workouts, I feel pretty good. My strength is coming back and I’m reminded once again of the miracle our bodies are.

Friday was my first treatment for bladder cancer. I have to go every Friday for 6 weeks, then once a month, then once every 6 months and then once a year for 5 years. It seemed like forever at first but I know…

This too shall pass.

Whatever you are going through, no matter how difficult, try to remember “this too shall pass”. Time has a way of marching forward.

But this doesn’t mean you don’t actively try and move things forward. When I couldn’t lift weights, I could still walk and mediate and journal, so I did those things. I also indulged my love of reading and movies because I knew I wouldn't always have this luxury of mandated rest. That this too shall pass.

If you feel stuck in your personal life, with your health or with some family drama, know that, “this too shall pass” but you may also need to ask for help.

I feel a made it through these past few months feeling so positive because I shared what was happening and let people show up with their love and support. I was floored by what I received. In the past, I would have just kept it all to myself and put a brave face on. My life is so much brighter without the mask.

I’m not saying it’s all easy. It’s hard to be vulnerable. I like be in charge. I like taking care of people. I like being the one that can make a difference in someone’s life. But I’m so incredibly grateful for all of the people that showed their support no matter how big or small. I took it all in and that energy has carried me for more than 2 months.

My life has been changed. I have a new perspective and it feels wonderful! Reply to me if you have gone through something challenging and come out on the other side a better person for it.
Old 03-20-19, 06:43 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

thanks for posting
eventmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-19, 11:30 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

What a great message!

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-19, 07:07 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Wow, thanks for posting her message! I wish her a continued healthy recovery.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
valerie waters