Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-19, 05:38 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I have 10 Firms and 2 WHFN that I don't do either, and am debating on getting rid of them but want to be 1000% sure before I do.

I am to the point that any DVDs that are not used regularly need to go. I think I would do just fine with a smaller collection. I am not really buying more so it's not going to grow, but don't want to hold onto to items I don't use.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-19, 06:52 AM  
Rhonda

I keep telling myself I need to get rid of DVDs. I have some that I haven't used in years. I need to figure this out as I have hundreds of DVDs and the ones I boxed up I have put up on VF roost, but even putting items there seems like noone wants.

I don't want to trade as I don't want anything else. What other places are there? Can I list them on the trade list asking for postage only?
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-19, 07:53 AM  
TinaT

Rhonda, There are several ways to purge some of your collection.

VF Exchange - For trade or SASE
VF Roost - For trade, Sale or SASE
FB Market Place - For Sale or SASE
Ebay - For Sale
Amazon - For Sale

I've used all of these through out the many years of exercising depending on my wants and needs.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-19, 08:12 AM  
marki64

It's ok. Get rid of them. You will never do them anyway and you know it. Those Firms are so outdated and there are better workouts out there without the leg warmers and tights and without elevator music.

How is that for a pepe talk?!

I have Cathe's I am struggling with to get rid of. Remember Circuit Max? I Haven't done it in years and it's time. I forgot what other workout is on there? But I know I have kept it for some reason. Maybe because it was my 1st Cathe workout that it's hard to part with.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-19, 09:09 AM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki64 View Post
Those Firms are so outdated and there are better workouts out there without the leg warmers and tights and without elevator music.

How is that for a pepe talk?!
I agree! I did the Firm Bootcamp 3 in 1 mix last week and I did not enjoy it. It seems choppy (parts workout) and lots of newer workouts are so much better! I found some old Firm workouts at a thrift store that were 69 cents per DVD and I did not buy them. If I'm buying any more workouts I want something more recent.
Old 03-12-19, 11:33 AM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

I've been trying to do this too. Not always easy.
I remember when I sold my Tae Bo Advanced Live VHS set. I had 1-12...all of them. But I had no VHS player.
Sometimes I miss them, but I really do have SO many workouts/DVDs/Streaming so I don't think I'm lacking. LOL

I have saved some of my Gilad workouts over the years. I rarely ever do them because they're too easy, but I save them for my old age. ;-)

Cleaning is cathartic!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-19, 12:22 PM  
TinaT

So far, I don't miss them. Tho, it's been less than a week. Now I feel as though I can focus on what I really enjoy and motivates me. For sure, they were an emotional attachment that I leaned on, some how. Volume 1 VHS was the start for me. I kept that one along with the other 5 Classics.

Like I said in earlier in this thread, ... I'm enjoying KV right now and want to use JS WS3 more often. I have no guilt about what's sitting on the shelf now.
Old 03-12-19, 06:05 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
I agree! I did the Firm Bootcamp 3 in 1 mix last week and I did not enjoy it. It seems choppy (parts workout) and lots of newer workouts are so much better! I found some old Firm workouts at a thrift store that were 69 cents per DVD and I did not buy them. If I'm buying any more workouts I want something more recent.
That was not one of their better parts workouts in my opinion, it was choppy. I had it for a little while and then sold it. I think this was one that also went for outrageous dollars on Ebay too before they released it on a Goodtimes DVD in the mid 2000s.

I also have felt for a while that their workouts had too many squats, lunges, leg presses, while never including dead lifts. I think Super Sculpting had good mornings or some sort of dead lift move. The newer Firms, pinks and beyond I believe did include dead lifts though. I never thought I would say this but I prefer Cathe strength workouts nowadays over the Firm, her intermediate ones that is. And while the Firm's floor work is good, I am set with Margaret Richard in that department. I prefer her floor work anyway, even thought it's mighty hard at times.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-19, 10:22 AM  
kat999

While I'm not fully on the Marie Kondo bandwagon yet, I do think some of her rules for what to keep and what to let go of are good, and I think I may get rid of more VHS and workouts where, when they come up in rotation and I do them, they just don't feel like they "do" anything for me. I'm currently working through a strict rotation with all my aerobic weight training DVDs and VHS where I have to get through the whole collection at least once (and there are a LOT of them and I only do AWT once a week), and then a new purge cycle will begin. Life is short, and if we're feeling immediate dread at something and/or not reaching for it, why not release it back into the universe and let someone else have it? I've found some great workout DVDs at used bookstores recently, and it always makes me happy to benefit from someone else's generosity.

I was also recently at my public library and was impressed at their fitness DVD collection. When I was in college, I used to do a good portion of my workouts via library and video store rentals, and that way I could try something out without committing to it. I still do that to a certain extent by trying something on Amazon Prime Video. We don't always need to own every workout out there, and trying something once is fun and shakes things up a little.
Old 03-20-19, 11:27 AM  
TinaT

What I've come to realize, for my lifestyle, is that more isn't better. It actually stresses me to have too many choices. I feel like I can actually focus on a set amount of routines after my purge.

For instance, I have one season of CS. Just one. But it has 30 episodes. For me, I don't need more than that. Now I feel like I can work on perfecting and getting familiar with them. But that's me.

Tags
declutter, decluttering