Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-20, 07:57 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

I have been good this week about getting in walks. In part, b/c I have forced myself to and I have been using the TM and listening to Pahla B's run/walk podcasts. I just walk at a very moderate pace on the TM - it is more for activity than exercise to combat all the sitting I do. Also, my DD has been "off" work this week - she is taking an on-line art class, so she is not as tired from being outside/dealing w/ horses all day - so we have been going in the evenings just as it is getting dark. My Lab has become very lame, but she is also now a very deep sleeper (she is really aging rapidly these days) so we sneak out w/ our Golden to walk. we were living our Golden home w/ the Lab, but she was getting upset about it...it is funny b/c normally my Golden prefers to stay home, but I guess seeing us go out for a walk makes her want to come along.

Anyway - long ramble as a way of saying I added on a 25 min TM walk and an outdoor walk yesterday.

Today I had an 8:00 call, so I had to be quick about workouts:

Ellen/Natalie S - Powerful Presence. This is a sweaty one for me - a lot of balance challenges, too.

If time permits I'll squeeze something else in.

wishiwasinhawaii - unless you had an office w/ a door - why would you be able to take your mask off at your desk? And honestly, w/ all the questions about how it could be transmitted through ventilation systems in buildings, I'd probably keep it on even in an office alone w/ a closed door. How is your nephew? Any word about his second test? I can imagine dealing w/ the public! (eye roll). I did bring my large monitor home. Next week I'm supposed to be "off" and one of my projects is going to be making my home office more comfortable. I hope we aren't called back in any time soon. DH had a telemed visit w/ his doctor yesterday and his Dr. thinks it is going to be at least 2 years before things are back to normal. He scheduled next year's visit to be a telemed visit - if that tells you what some Dr's are thinking!

Good job on the workout, Sherry!!

Waves,

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-20, 10:08 PM  
Leonana

Today I did Pahla's newest strength workout, Strength Workout with Dumbbells for Women Over 50. It was challenging, despite moving slower. I used five pounds with it. It had a lot of shoulder moves in it. I sometimes mute Jessica's workouts, since I'm so familiar with them, and listen to a podcast on my phone. I did the same with Pahla today, and her chatter doesn't bother me now, lol. I also use the CC on you tube, and it works pretty well.

Donna, I'm glad your dd is walking with you. My dd will watch Netflix with me, but no exercise unfortunately. Wow, two years! I guess that's how long it will take to get enough vaccines in production. This is definitely a new normal. I really feel for those who have lost their jobs.

wishiwasinhawaii, I checked out the Gap masks online. Cute patterns and a good price. I think it might gap more on the sides than the Thompson Tee masks, no pun intended! OTH, the Gap masks are three layers of cotton, so more protection. Thompson Tee looks like two layers, and the t-shirt material is a bit thinner than regular cotton material. I really like the Thompson Tee masks though. But I might order some from the Gap, just to check them out.
Old 07-18-20, 06:16 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Today was a resistance workout from 22MHC. I'm on week 3 now and I think I'll just continue with this rotation for now. I'm very busy with work stuff until the second week of August and 22 minutes is all I have time for right now.

Donna, I don't understand my company's mask policy at all. Most of us sit in cubicles so I really can't imagine being in that environment without a mask. Even if the closest person isn't sitting nearby, they say the virus can spread through ventilation systems, so it just doesn't make any sense. My nephew hasn't heard what his test result is yet. That's scary what your DH's doctor said, but the way things are going, it does seem likely that this is going to go on for years, not months. I actually cancelled all my upcoming annual checkups. I was supposed to go to the gyn, but that seemed too risky and I also was supposed to see my PCP, but that seems even worse. Maybe I can go for the blood work and do the actual appointment on telehealth. I'm going to wait a bit and if things don't improve with the virus or it gets worse, then I'll see about the telehealth.

Sherry, You might be right about the Gap masks having a gap, LOL. I don't like to go shopping on weekends because it's too crowded, so my trip to the Gap will have to wait until Monday. I'm going to try to make a quick trip there at lunch.
Old 07-18-20, 08:04 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

This morning was a real blast from the past -

Prevention - Walk Your Way Slim w/ Michelle Dozois. This one came out in 2003, the year my DD was born! LOL. It is described as a "walking" workout, but it is really mixed impact aerobics with modifications for Level 1 - low impact, smaller moves, Level 2 - slightly higher impact, larger moves, and Level 3 -more high impact, even larger moves. It was a good one to re-visit, I honestly can't remember the last time I did it. I have it on DVD. I was thinking I should do a retro-workout challenge or something soon.

Robin Long/The Balanced Life - Strength & Stress Relief Challenge Day 1 - I signed up for this challenge on her website. The "live" challenge is over but if you sign up you'll get an e-mail each day w/ a link to the workout. This was a typical workout from Robin, which is not a bad thing, I like her.

Sherry - I like your avatar - is that your cat?

wishiwasinhawaii - I have appointments coming up soon, too, and I'm contemplating canceling. It is a tough choice b/c you wonder - is it worse to go an possibly expose myself or it is worse to skip and possibly miss a chance to catch something serious, early? I am feeling ok, so I will probably skip. I'm over due for a mammogram, but again, not sure of the risk. And honestly, not sure of the benefit either as almost everyone I know who has had breast cancer, found it themselves and some had clear mammograms within the past year of finding it. So.....I just wonder sometimes about all that.....

Hope everyone has a good day!!!

Donna
Old 07-18-20, 09:34 PM  
Leonana

Today was a rest day. I did not sleep at all. I had a dentist appointment to put on my permanent crown, and I guess I was nervous about it. I'm not usually nervous about the dentist, I have a high pain threshold. I'm not sure if it was because of the virus. or my past anxiety over the cost of getting medical care. Probably both. However, my dentist's office is very good. Everyone is in masks, patients too until we are in the chair. They take my temperature when I walk in, and they had me wash my hands before I sat in the chair. I also had to fill out a form regarding virus symptoms. I like this office a lot, they did a good job on my teeth.

I can't remember if I mentioned it, but my Census training in on July 31. I go in for two hours, then do remote training. My guess is I will start the second week of August. I'm looking forward to it, although I'm nervous.

DD signed up for three classes with the community college. It will be online. I'm not sure if the campus is open, I think it isn't open this fall.

Donna, yes that is one of our three cats. That is Delilah. Her brother is Samson, but we call him Sammy. My husband named them. They are 14 years old now. Rajah, our orange tabby, is four years old. I chose Delilah's pic, because she poses better, lol.

DD just asked for a dog the other day. But I said no, I'm too overwhelmed with three pets at the moment. At one time, we had two dogs and three cats, and before that, two cats and three dogs. I think I'm too old for more than three at a time! I told her we should wait until August or September, and see what our schedules are like. I don't know, I'm still not over losing our two dogs.

wishiwasinhawaii, I'm supposed to go in for an echocardiogram in October. I guess it will depend on if my cardiologist's office is open. Fortunately, my yearly checkup with my GP was last February, so I guess I timed that right. I did go to the dentist, but that's hard to put off.
Old 07-19-20, 09:47 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

This morning was:

Pahla B - 25 Min Low Impact Weight Loss Workout w/ Weights. This was a circuit workout - 20 seconds cardio, 10 seconds rest/setup, 20 seconds strength, 10 seconds rest/set up. There is something to Pahla's workouts. While I'm doing them I feel it isn't hard at all, but by the time I'm done I do feel like I worked out, but I'm not exhausted. So, I guess there is something to this moderation thing?

Jessica Valent Pilates - Barre w/ Small Ball - this was a 15 min barre style class

Robin Long/TBL - Strength & Stress Relief Challenge Day 2- Lower Body. I was expecting it to be floor work, but it was mainly standing! I should have previewed it first! But, I still enjoyed it. In fact, I'm considering doing some of TBL workouts I downloaded when I was a member this week.

Sherry - I hope you slept better last night. I have a dentist appointment in August. My DD and DH went, it the protocol was you sat in your car, they came out took your temp, asked health questions and then you were taken directly to the exam room (no waiting room) the dentist was in full PPE - including a mask and face shield. I think it is probably safe, but I'm still nervous about going. I suspect the Dentist is probably more worried about getting it from me than me getting it from her...but....and probably that is the more likely result. But still. I am leaning towards keeping the appointment b/c/ my tooth history is, if I neglect it, I end up paying a lot more later in terms of pain and $.. Not sure about going to my PCP or mammogram though.

I think my DD will probably do community college or attend the local university here if things are not looking up by next year. She wants to buy her horse, but I'm worried about the expense of upkeep. I do pay out a lot for his lease and her lessons, though, so I told her if she could make up the difference somehow between what I pay for lease/lessons and the cost of boarding I'd consider it. But, I don't want her to do anything now until we know what her college plans are - if she ends up going away it is going to be hard for her take care of him/ride him....and neither DH or I ride! I would like to get another dog, to keep my Golden company now that my Lab is getting so lame..my Golden misses having a playmate, but I'm thinking i may be crazy to have 3 dogs! LOL!

Waves, wishiwasinhawaii!!

Hope everyone has a good day -

Donna
Old 07-19-20, 05:48 PM  
Leonana

Today was the Stretch and Flexibility workout from Gentle Yoga. I felt so relaxed afterwards, it was wonderful at making me feel better mentally. I slept better last night too, so that was nice.

Donna, I did go into the waiting room, but they had the labels on the floor on where to sit. With our high temps, I don't know that people would want to sit in their cars, even with the a/c on. There was a family in the waiting room, a mom and two kids, but I wasn't in the waiting room very long.

I think Pahla's workouts are more effective than they seem. When I did her workout yesterday, I felt that it did work my muscles, even though it moved slower. I used 5 pounds, and I don't think I could go higher than that in that workout.

It is hard when they ask for more animals, especially an expensive one! My daughter took riding lessons for about six months, but didn't stick with it. I was kind of relieved, because of the price. It was a good experience for her, however.
Old 07-20-20, 07:03 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

To quote Pahla, woo doggies! Today's workout was Pahla's Low Impact No Repeat MetCon from her Weekly Challenge for Body Shaping. This was a tough one. From May, 2017. I think after this time frame she started to make her workouts a little bit more moderate. This workout was 50 seconds cardio and then 20 reps of a weighted exercise. It was pretty challenging. I also added on the linked warm-up and cool down.

I am off work this week, but not really going anywhere, there are quite a few projects around the house for me to work on. In a way, I feel silly taking the time off since there is nowhere to go during this pandemic, but I also have the time to use and I haven't had any real time off since Xmas. Plus, there are things that just need to get done at home that I can hopefully focus on now...including making tons of phone calls that I never have time for during the work day.

I will add on some Pilates or Yoga later, I was too wiped out this morning to do it! LOL!

Sherry - Glad you slept better!

waves, wishiwasinhawaii!

Donna
Old 07-20-20, 03:02 PM  
Leonana

Today was housecleaning, I haven't done that in too long! So I decided to do a shorter strength workout, Total Body Timesaver from the Boost Metabolism DVD.

Donna, I hope you enjoy your time off! Sounds like it's a good time to get things done.

Waves to wishiwasinhawaii.
Old 07-20-20, 07:32 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I can't believe how hot it is. I'm afraid what my electric bill is going to look like. This morning was a resistance workout in the 22MHC rotation. Tomorrow is a rest day, which is good because I have an early meeting and wouldn't have been able to do a workout anyway. It gets too hot later in the day so it's morning or nothing!

Donna, I've been taking days off here and there and it helps break up the monotony since we don't go too many places these days. I don't have any pets, but my brother just got a puppy and it's so cute. I've only been able to visit the puppy a couple of times due to the pandemic, unfortunately.

Sherry, I have a eye exam in early August. I don't want to go, but it's getting to the point where I need new glasses and can't put it off too much longer. Not sure what to do.

Tags
jessica smith get strong