Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-06-18, 10:47 AM  
killoffsonny

(Frantically fast motions with weights)

This one just bugs the crap out of me.
Its why I tend to go more for Hamelin instead of TA. But Tracy isn't the only one who does it.
Old 03-06-18, 05:35 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusca View Post
Low or no music
Synth or trap music
Non-stop talking
Continuous counting like Taebo
No warm up or cool down
Single instructor
No timer
Excessive breaks to demonstrate a move
Cursing
Repeating circuits too many times
This is a good starting list!

Sometimes I don't mind a single instructor, gives me that personal trainer vibe (i.e. Erin O'Brien). Never for cardio though! I'm a cardio hater and *need* a little group of happy campers to hold my interest and keep me motivated.

I prefer an open, breezy set, pref outdoors or with big windows looking onto a nice view. I hate a small, claustrophobic box with just walls and corners, no windows.

Years ago Christi Taylor did Mission Possible and she and the cast wore black with snug long sleeves. Yikes! I literally couldn't do that workout, I got hot and sweaty just looking at them, lol.

Can't/won't do high impact or drills. Moves have to be relatively knee- and back-friendly. Instructor has to have a nice vibe to him/her. And there has to be something that says "fun" about the workout.

But the truth is, I have so many DVDs that I rarely buy anything new, in fact I prefer reviving my vintage workouts. I'm super picky now and any new workout has to have something really special for me to get excited.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-18, 05:44 PM  
Daffie

Obnoxious outfits.
Whooping.
Dark set.
Teaching reps. (After doing a few times I’ll get it!)
Daffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-18, 07:00 PM  
BunnyHop

Oh, you know, I've realized that all the stuff in my first reply is mostly why I won't USE a workout. If I know all that much about the workout in the first place, I guess I'd give it a pass, but many times I've purchased blind based on great reviews or workouts I'd liked before by the same instructor only to realize the workout is not for me.

The main thing that keeps me from actually buying seems to be heavy handed marketing and that annoying hard-sell personality type. If I get a whiff of either from whatever I learn about a workout, I'll skip it altogether. Cheesy production values are also a big turn off for me.
Old 03-06-18, 09:43 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

- Excessive breaks to demonstrate a move.
- Cursing.
- Corner setting. Workouts filmed in a corner
- Fake setting. Those filmed in a green screen. One of the Kettlebell Bombshell DVD come to mind. And I've the impression that Tracie's Stronger Longer DVDs are filmed like that, too bad because I really like the look of those, but I just can't get pass the setting.
- Frantic dangerous pace.
- Excessive high impact.
- Repeated phrases. I hate when the instructor repeats the same phrase all the time, like he/she doesn't know what else to say... But, I realized about that once I've done the workout.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-18, 09:51 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Price.
Old 03-06-18, 10:26 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica H. View Post
Interesting how many people said they don't like solo workouts.
I'm surprised too because soloists like Jessica Smith, Tracie Long and TA seem to be hugely popular.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-18, 12:29 AM  
Cybersparkle

Absolute no-gos

Stage light settings/disco look. I think Jari love and Jillian's One Week Shred are like this.

Excessive jumping hi-impact for cardio.

The following things, there are exceptions to the rule every once in a while

Poor or bad music (according to my personal taste, one person's favorite song makes another person cringe - good music is in the ear of the beholder)

Dark, depressing set

Hard, post apocalypse look (rough brick, concrete, stark gym, deserts & dry red canyons (I'm talking to you Rodney Yee!), stark rocky no vegetation - they always make me feel thirsty & anxious & like I may die from being lost in the wilderness at any moment)

Generally only like solo instructors so long as it has good music. My fave solo is Tracy Anderson's Mat, her first one. I couldn't imagine Ellen or Jillian solo, because they interact with the backgrounders so wonderfully. However, Denise Austin never ever says anything personally to hers, so her solo stuff does not bother me.

Here's what makes it better

If I love most of the instructors stuff, I can tolerate a few off dvd's.

Say it's in the desert, but the outfits are bright and or matching and the workout is great, with a perky instructor - I'll brave the thirsty anxiousness .

Just about any workout that is near the ocean I am more open to, it soothes me so.

Love when animals (from Peanut, to cats or stray ducks near a pond) are involved & give the instructor & setting much more leeway.

For whatever reason, the workout itself is essential to my health. Like, I have been going thru hormonal upheaval with peri-menopause and tho I am not the biggest fan of Ravi & Ana's latest work, simply did not care about set, hair or music- had to have that Happy Hormones to find some relief.

You can't stop the waves, but you can learn how to surf! ~Jon Kabat-Zinn
Cybersparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-18, 12:36 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
I'm surprised too because soloists like Jessica Smith, Tracie Long and TA seem to be hugely popular.
Actually most of Jessica's later releases aren't solo, they are with her mom & often their friend Beth. She did earlier ones with other participants too. Her YouTube freebies & her yoga DVDs are usually solo though.

Things I don't like:
Overly chatty manic instructors
High impact
Bad music
Swinging weights around at a fast pace

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-18, 07:54 AM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
Price.
Haha! Yep, that usually does it for me. It has to come wayyyy down for some dvds. It may be totally worth it, but chances are I have something in my huge collection that is close to what I'm wanting so I can substitute.

Also agree with jusca: No warm ups! This is a big no-no for me. I hate switching out disks to do a warm up. No cool down doesn't bother me, as I cool down and stretch on my own pretty much anyway (except for Dasha Libin, some Cathe, and a few Amy Bento cool downs).
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote