Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-18, 07:09 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Donna, I used a straw to drink the (chilled) prep and that helped a lot. Every few sips I would drink a little Gatorade. That was a few years ago and I bet the prep choices are so much better now.

~Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-18, 07:36 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Chiming in ... I had an emergency colonoscopy about 12 years ago. I have a food allergy - to soy. At the very last minute, before receiving the "twilight sedation" someone realized that sedative is delivered in soybean oil. So they had to change plans to full anesthesia. I can't remember what they used. Anyhow, I felt like crap for weeks, which apparently was normal. Therefore, I've put off the next one. But I feel more comfortable about it from this thread. I'm afraid of waking up while under anesthesia, but if it's on the level of labor pain, I can do that.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-18, 08:30 PM  
Carol K

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethlakey View Post
Donna, I used a straw to drink the (chilled) prep and that helped a lot. Every few sips I would drink a little Gatorade. That was a few years ago and I bet the prep choices are so much better now.

~Beth
I did the Trilyte last time and that was nasty. This time I'm doing the SuPrep which my husband tells me is just as nasty, but you drink less of it and you drink water in between.
Old 02-24-18, 08:47 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Three years ago I took MoviPrep. I was allowed to mix in Crystal Light Lemon flavor. Honestly, it was pretty good considering what it was.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-18, 10:50 PM  
lithium

Thanks everyone for the helpful info. I was supposed to have my first one late last year. I used all kind of excuses (visiting family overseas, then cold weather etc...) not to make an appointment. I feel much relieved after reading everyone's experience. It helps a great deal to know you are not alone. Thanks Donna for bringing it up and everyone for contributing. Again I'm amazed at how wonderful this community is. Now off to make my appointment too.
lithium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-18, 11:45 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

I had one colonoscopy 10 years ago, due for another this year. I agree, the prep is the worst part.

I had mine done at a clinic near the hospital where I worked, and my nurse was someone I knew from the hospital who had a part time job at the clinic.

They brought me into the procedure room, positioned me, and gave me the sedation (I honestly don't remember if it was propofol or Versed). In any case, as I was drifting off I heard the nurse exclaim "oh Jen don't do this to me". I was awake enough to ask "what" and she replied that my blood pressure was getting low. I started to ask her about whether she had done this and that (give me IV fluids, slow the medication, etc). She answered "be quiet and stop being a nurse".

I was partially awake for most of the procedure and felt the scope moving and some cramping when the air was put in. I even watched the screen for a while. Not a lot of fun, but not intolerable.

OTOH, I had an upper endoscopy at the hospital with a nurse anesthetist and don't remember a blessed thing. Both times I was starving and we went out for lunch when I was done, I was fine afterward.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-18, 11:59 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Chiming in as another who's had multiple colonoscopies and endoscopies, and yes, the sedation is fabulous. Out like a light, during the very brief procedure you sleep like a dream, then you're awake in a flash. It's great!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-18, 12:12 AM  
michl43

Smile

I had one last year. The sedation is pretty mild, and I felt calm and very rested when I woke up out of it. It’s not the same stuff they would give you for a surgery.
michl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-18, 08:19 AM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lithium View Post
Thanks everyone for the helpful info. I was supposed to have my first one late last year. I used all kind of excuses (visiting family overseas, then cold weather etc...) not to make an appointment. I feel much relieved after reading everyone's experience. It helps a great deal to know you are not alone. Thanks Donna for bringing it up and everyone for contributing. Again I'm amazed at how wonderful this community is. Now off to make my appointment too.
This was me, too. I have had the referral for a few months but kept putting it off - it was the holiday season, it was winter, I was busy, etc. All the while it was in the back of my mind as something I really knew I should do - and I did actually feel a lot better once I broke down and made the appointment for the consultation. I will probably feel even better once it is completely over, LOL!

I do appreciate everyone sharing their experiences - I'm not as nervous about it and I'm not as worried about the sedation.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-18, 10:51 AM  
Carol K

Twilight sedation is a very small amount of general anesthesia. People have different reactions to it. My husband and I slept through the entire procedure. My dad was awake and was able to watch the whole thing on a screen. My sister went to sleep and woke up when she had some pain. She was told she had a redundant colon.

Tags
cancer, colonoscopy, colonoscopy prep, diverticulitis, medical tests, polyps