Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 10-12-20, 06:49 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Well I finished STS on Thursday! I too have exercise ADD, so I rarely finish a rotation of anything. But I guess with life being so odd already, I was able to focus and do it.

Over the last 12 weeks I did STS, biked, ran, and did yoga. I also tracked my food. I lost 16 pounds, which isn't as much as I had hoped for, but I'm sure I put on muscle. I don't have a reliable way to measure body composition. But clothes are starting to fit better, so that's good. I also lowered my blood pressure a good bit. It was just creeping up to that not good level, so I got it down to 115/69.

This week is a cut back week. No strength training, short cardio workouts, and some food adjustments. Then I'm going to start Body Beast. I don't know if I'll be able to take "The Beast" for 12 weeks, but I'll give it a go. Either way, I plan to spend 12 more weeks on heavy lifting. Rumor has it we're working from home until the end of the year, but that's nothing official. I can't trust anything I hear since so much is up in the air working for the government these days.

Also, inspired by our former member Frannie, I biked 49 miles Friday for my 49th birthday. Frannie did it on her Peloton, but since my spin bike doesn't track miles, I had to do it the old fashioned way outside. I did fine for about 30 miles, but the rest were really rough. The last 3 were just terrible, and even though it was completely flat, I wasn't sure I could pedal back to my car. But I did.

Have a good week everyone!
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-20, 05:42 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Alison, I am truly impressed! I told myself I'd do barre for all of October and am already thinking I'll do something else tomorrow. Did you change what you ate over the 12 weeks? I feel like nothing makes a difference lately. When I log, even if it's on-target, I don't see any change. Was your bike route a big loop?

Vantreesta, I've kayaked a few times. The first time was when I went to CA and stayed with a VFer! It was in a bay, I think. I don't remember it being too tough. Here, I've kayaked in a lake and on the river. I like it but I like how you're IN the water on a paddleboard (I usually sit or kneel) as opposed to on top.

We went up north last week for the kids' fall break. That was really nice! We rented a great house, saw the Grand Canyon, did some hiking, and enjoyed the cool weather.

I started my new job yesterday. I have to work EDT hours so I'm trying to be at my computer by 6 AM! It's a little tough to have to drop the kids off. I'm hoping next week DH makes it home in time for that. Tomorrow I have a meeting at 6 AM, and three other meetings about every 2 hours.

BUT I'm not really doing any work yet. The company is contracted with the Coast Guard to develop training. We're sort of on retainer, waiting to be handed projects, and don't have any yet. I guess some of the others have been waiting a while. I don't mind, I mean, I get paid either way.

The early mornings though, I've gotten up at 4:30 the past two days and worked out and it was OK but tough to fit that in, getting the kids out the door and simultaneously starting work. I thought about dropping them off earlier but that wouldn't help a ton.

In all honesty I don't know if this job will work out long-term, but of course I'm willing to try it out for a while and see how it goes.

I'm seeing a PT twice a week for my hip. I went to a different one twice before. The new one is taking a very different approach. She's working more on loosening my hip flexor and helping me learn to engage and strengthen my transverse abs. I feel like I'm making progress, though quite slow. Still, maybe this will help more longer-term.

So, no running for now. I've been walking, on my spin bike, and doing barre the past couple of weeks. It's finally cool here in the mornings so hopefully I'll get to do some hiking soon.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-20, 03:01 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Pratima: I did change how I ate--I pieced together a plan based on past things that worked and stuff I learned in grad school. It helped that my daughter was tracking her food too (different goals though, her's is more athletic performance since she definitely does not need to lose weight.) My bike ride on a rail/trail. It's 45 miles long, so I rode a little more than half of it out and back.

I've been getting up at 4:30 to work out for the past 3+ months too. It isn't fun, but it's so good to get the workout in early in the day. I start work at 6:30. I hope your job goes well.

Happy Friday!
Old 10-16-20, 03:05 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Alison, ugh, this schedule is killing me! I can't tell you how excited I am to sleep until later tomorrow. How do you do it? It's odd to start so early without a workout. Does your DD have some sort of plan she's following, or is she just tracking and using that to help her make adjustments? I do think the early wake-up is sort of sabotaging me. I'm awake SO LONG I'm starving all day. I was up at 5 AM yesterday and didn't go to bed until 11 PM.

I'm sure I'll adjust to the early part at least. Fitting everything in will have to be a more conscious effort.

I did get in a workout today. Did a 45 minute Burn streaming workout and a 20 minute walk.

I am really feeling the PT exercises from yesterday! I guess that's a good thing. I did a few short jogs during my walk. Still don't feel quite right but I was at least able to do that.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Old 10-16-20, 03:14 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

How do I do it? I go to bed at 9:00 most nights. I realize that’s not possible with younger kids. I sometimes sleep in on the weekends, but now my internal clock has me up pretty early then too.

DD also has been adjusting to what works for her. One of her coaches gave them good suggestions to get started, and she’s now taking nutrition as an elective. She thinks that’s what she wants to study in college now.
Old 10-16-20, 03:34 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Alison, I'm in that place where you were a while ago--chauffeuring DD to gymnastics practices in the evening. She's there 5-8 M and W and 4-7 Friday, so she goes to bed late too. This Wednesday I was so tired, and DH is home Wed-Sat. nights, so I just headed to bed at 9. Sunday through Tuesday that's not really doable though. :/

It would have been easier to get on this schedule over the summer, when the sun is up at 5 and it's sometimes 90 degrees even then! Now it's dark in the morning and about 65 degrees. I am enjoying being able to go for walks.

My supervisor keeps saying our schedule is VERY flexible for now, so I do think it's OK if I'm not online right at 5 or 6. My coworkers know I'm in AZ so they don't seem to expect me to respond that early.

Old 10-20-20, 06:28 AM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Pratima: One of my Facebook memories for today was me complaining 10 years ago about working, getting kids to do homework, driving them to activities, getting dinner on the table, etc. Nope, don’t miss all that. I know many moms love all that and do miss it, and I’m thankful for the life I’ve had, but now with them driving themselves and taking control of their own schedules is pretty awesome. That being said, I’m currently in the process of trying to get DD out of bed for school, and it’s not going well!

I started Body Beast. The jury’s still out. I don’t like how he bullies the cast members, and I really don’t like how some of his insults to them involve calling them girly. But the workouts so far have been good, and I have DOMS like I never did with STS. It moves a little faster than I like, so I’m hitting pause a lot to catch up.

I’m still loving the Peloton rides 3-4 times a week on my lunch break and am running 2 times. I’m also doing yoga 2-3 times a week. I‘m still struggling with life in this virus world, but all the fitness really helps.

Alison
Old 10-20-20, 10:11 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Alison, how old were your girls then? DD is 11. I have to get up SO early these days that I don't stay up with her if she's still doing homework after gymnastics. I'm not fully convinced she's ONLY doing homework (YouTube is the devil) but I'm not going to stay up late just to monitor her. I tried Body Beast ages ago and wasn't a fan because the workouts were so long for each body part IIRC. But it seems the Burn Bootcamp workouts are sometimes similar. I'll be curious to hear what you think of those now.

Vantreesta, do you have snow yet? I did a video conference with my coworkers yesterday. One is in I think Idaho and she was wearing a sweater! She said it was 36 degrees and snowing there.

I'm feeling rather...icky lately. I think I literally put on a couple of pounds last week! I was up so early and hungry all day, I know I was eating more than usual. And I tried a little jogging Sunday. That completely messed my hip up and I was so sore the rest of the day.

I'm at that point where I've been doing PT for a few weeks and don't feel like I'm better. I'm out of shape, squishy, just super middle-aged feeling. :/

I am working on the eating part. Started logging food in MFP yesterday and it's already made me more mindful of what and how much I'm eating. Also started doing the Burn workouts again. I know the weight work is always good and they tend to be relatively high calorie burn even on weight days, so we'll see if it helps.

I have literally nothing to do at work yet. I had a couple of projects I thought I'd be working on but they didn't happen. I spend my days mostly reading Coast Guard manuals. Had lots of meetings last week but only two scheduled this week. Both are with my coworkers, one was yesterday and one Thursday. I don't mind not doing anything while getting paid, of course, but hopefully we get something soon!

Agree with Alison that fitness activities help. It's cooling off, which is great, but my stupid hip and feeling of squishiness isn't. Think I'll try and do a daily walk, even if it's short.

Old 10-20-20, 11:20 AM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Pratima: 10 years ago they were 10 and 6-1/2, 5th and 1st grade.

I’m glad tracking helping. Every little bit is something.

The first part of Body Beast is 2 muscle groups per workout, but then it switches to one. We shall see!

Hey Vannie! I was wondering about snow for you too. It’s actually warming up again here this week. We are getting a nice fall for a change.
Old 10-21-20, 07:55 AM  
Vantreesta

We got probably 3 inches of wet heavy snow yesterday. It came down pretty much the whole time we had daylight. It's unusual to have it stick and accumulate like this for the first snow if the season. Well, I guess it did spit a long time the day before and not stick, but still unusual. The snow is so heavy it weighed down the bushes and my lights are probably almost on the ground now. I'm not ready for fall to beocer. I love winter but fall is still my favorite. But I admit, I did feel buoyant walking in a snow globe yesterday.

I don't know why I can't get myself together to post and stick to my workouts. My new computer did come last week and hubby got it ready for me so maybe that will get me posting more and then I'll need smthg to report!

Alison, happy belated birthday! Nice job on the 49 mile bike ride! My legs would be toast long before then! That and you finished STS, woohoo! I enjoyed Body Beast and Sagi didn't bother me for some reason. Maybe I was struggling too hard! I didn't finished the program though...story of my life!

Pratima, I hope the new job picks up soon. Seems odd they were hiring when they don't have any work for you! But like you said, as long as you're getting paid you can deal!

Did you guys order the new Cathes? This was my first ever workout preorder, which I did at my parents' in February and kept forgetting about. All the buzz about it now though reminded me!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote