Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-14, 03:23 PM  
WWWendy
Community Manager

Please be very careful here - discussing an instructor's physique in a negative or critical way is not within guidelines. Let's try to keep the focus on what the effect of the types of exercises in the new series might be for you based on your previous experience with those types of exercises, rather than on Cathe's own physique.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
WWWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-14, 04:05 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Add me into the group of those confused as to why someone would preorder a series called "Ripped with Hiit" if they were afraid of "bulky muscles". Ripped implies muscles, no?

I would cancel the preorder if that style of working out isn't conducive to your personal goals. Myself: bring on the muscles baby! I wish I could look like that! If that's bulky, I'll take it.
Old 10-12-14, 06:12 PM  
momof10

I also think Cathe looks awesome. I always thought bulky was when we accumulated fat over our muscles. Cathe doesn't have the fat, so she looks just lean to me.

Someone else mentioned how "tiny" Cathe is in person even when she appears built up in a video and I so agree. I went on a Cathe Road Trip in 2007 and she is much much smaller than she appears in a video. I thought that was true of all the backgrounders too.

Cheryl
Old 10-12-14, 06:33 PM  
edensmom

Cheryl, that is when I look "bulky" - too much body fat over muscle. Totally agree.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-14, 07:40 PM  
poohpeggy

I do not recall Cathe looking this thick in the past from filming. I just wondered if this new series was the reason. I thought it was worth discussing. I was not trying in anyway to put Cathe down. Since Cathe hasn't put out a Hitt and heavy weights series I am curious if this equation equals bulk. I guess time will tell.
poohpeggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-14, 10:03 PM  
edensmom

I don't get "bulky" from moderately heavy weights (to me that is what we are looking at, with the rep ranges she tends to use we couldn't truly go "heavy"). Have you used these types of workouts in the past for a long enough period to know how you respond? Different person and same workout equals different results.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-14, 08:48 AM  
Chomper

From the info Cathe has given so far, these weight workouts won't be much different from her previous weight workouts. 10-12 reps per set, 3-4 sets per exercise, at least 3 exercises per body part, burn out sets at the end of either each exercise or body part. Sound familiar?

And count me as another one who was afraid that when women on this forum used the word "bulky" they were talking about healthy attractive muscle mass like on Cathe. Not happy to see it confirmed.

ETA: still, if you don't like training that way, you don't have to. There are other ways to build muscle. I will say that Cathe weight workouts are designed for muscle size (hypertrophy) and endurance, not true strength. Strength work would be in the 3-6 rep range, with weights that are so heavy you are seriously challenged by them.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-14, 09:26 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

If doing an instructor's workouts made you look exactly like her, wouldn't all the other Cathletes in the trip photos look like Cathe clones, instead of all shapes and sizes? Even Cathe's backgrounders vary in shape, like all people.

Xtrain was heavy weights plus HIIT. It was one of her best in recent years, so maybe that's a formula she wants to go with.

ETA: if these women are thick and bulky, you can sign me up too for thick and bulky!

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-14, 10:35 AM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
From the info Cathe has given so far, these weight workouts won't be much different from her previous weight workouts. 10-12 reps per set, 3-4 sets per exercise, at least 3 exercises per body part, burn out sets at the end of either each exercise or body part. Sound familiar?
This cracked me up! Unfortunately, it's why I didn't preorder. However, I got the best results ever from Xtrain, so I may revisit the thought of getting at least the weight workouts further down the line if there are different exercises, the music is fantastic, there are fantastic premixes, and she keeps it under 45 minutes. Bit much to hope for though

And to the OP, are you saying that her pictures look bulky, or that the change from previous pictures to now are just bulkier, and that's a progression you don't want to see on yourself? Because I've looked at those Daytona pics, and she doesn't appear bulky to me. Maybe I haven't seen all the pictures.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-14, 10:47 AM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohpeggy View Post
I do not recall Cathe looking this thick in the past from filming. I just wondered if this new series was the reason. I thought it was worth discussing. I was not trying in anyway to put Cathe down. Since Cathe hasn't put out a Hitt and heavy weights series I am curious if this equation equals bulk. I guess time will tell.
Thick? Just...wow.