Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-14, 07:50 PM  
kariev34

Love your body

Great article on loving your body. http://mollygalbraith.com/2014/03/ce...ody-challenge/ I really love reading articles on her site.
kariev34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-14, 06:28 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Great article. Thanks for posting it. One of the people mentioned in, Amber (who writes the Go Kaleo blog), is a favorite of mine.

It's always good to have reminders of how much of a difference lighting, makeup, and posture have on photographs. That's why those "horrifying unretouched pictures of celebrities!!" in the National Enquirer are so ridiculous--anyone can look bad in a photo if the angle and lighting aren't right.

In one of Joyce Vedral's books she has two photos of herself that were taken in the same shoot. In one she is in unflattering underwear, facing the camera straight on, stomach muscles relaxed, and I think she also has rollers in her hair and really yucky house slippers on--deliberately trying looking like a schlump, and succeeding. In the other, she is in really pretty lingerie (bra and bikini underwear), kitten-heeled slippers, hair done, and posed at an angle to the camera, one knee bent, with stomach pulled in. The difference is amazing.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-14, 07:36 AM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Great article. I want to investigate all the mentioned linked articles and blogs because there's so much positive body talk.
Old 07-20-14, 01:04 PM  
morris

I just love this!! Thanks for sharing
morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-14, 02:13 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

I love these kinds of blogs and inspirational articles. These messages can't be repeated enough! Thanks for sharing Karie!
Old 07-20-14, 03:44 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

The article may be good, but seriously, where is the so called imperfections in the pictures that were posted? Many people asked the same question. I see no cellulite on those women.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-14, 04:33 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
The article may be good, but seriously, where is the so called imperfections in the pictures that were posted? Many people asked the same question. I see no cellulite on those women.
Debbie, this is too funny. I was coming to post almost exactly the same thing. And while I can support the intent of this blog post, it makes me sad that women expend SO MUCH mental and emotional energy thinking about and trying to remedy so-called "imperfections". Just think what that energy could accomplish turned to other pursuits.

I have come to believe that the fitness industry is responsible for a huge amount of physical and emotional anguish among women trying to achieve what is in large part a false ideal promoted by the industry. We--the general we--need to free ourselves of these shackles and think for ourselves.

I'm an old timer here, so flame away. It doesn't bother me.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-14, 04:38 PM  
Messe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post
I have come to believe that the fitness industry is responsible for a huge amount of physical and emotional anguish among women trying to achieve what is in large part a false ideal promoted by the industry. We--the general we--need to free ourselves of these shackles and think for ourselves.
This, this, this!

You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. — Maya Angelou
Messe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-14, 05:36 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post
Debbie, this is too funny. I was coming to post almost exactly the same thing. And while I can support the intent of this blog post, it makes me sad that women expend SO MUCH mental and emotional energy thinking about and trying to remedy so-called "imperfections". Just think what that energy could accomplish turned to other pursuits.

I'm an old timer here, so flame away. It doesn't bother me.
**LIKE**

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-14, 05:44 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Jennifer, I agree. This is why I really dislike fitness blogs. What are women who really do have cellulite (are self conscious about it) suppose to think when pictures like the ones posted are selfies of women with supposedly cellulite? BS in my opinion.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote