Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-19, 02:47 PM  
pharma_gal

Low Impact Cardio Moves that also work the glutes

I am wanting some ideas for low impact cardio moves that I can do as a HIIT format that also work the glutes. So far I can only think of kettlebell swings and speed skaters. Are there any more? Do any of Cathe’s Low Impact cardio work the glutes too? Thanks!
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-19, 03:44 PM  
prettyinpink

Along the lines of speed skaters, lateral lunges with hips back, stationary and moving side to side or moving the leg out and then back up. Arm movements or weights in arms as needed.

Pushups with a single leg lift or single glute lift

Unweighted single leg deadlift, can go at faster speed with no weight

Alternating rear lunges with one weight held overhead

Rear lunge to front kick with opposite leg (Cathe does use this one)

Lateral squats/stepping with heavy band. What Cathe falls Firewalkers, but faster back and forth and sitting back in the glutes
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-19, 03:47 PM  
owltx

Here's a great one - I don't know the name for it, but in my mind I call it grounded jumping jacks. Cathe does them in a couple of her low impact cardio ones. Essentially you stand in plie, arms out to your side. Squat, pulling your arms down, then stand quickly, raising one leg out while you also raise your arms out. Repeat on opposite side. These can really fatigue the glute and up the heart rate.
Old 07-18-19, 09:37 PM  
ncl

I definitely think most of Cathe's low impact HIIT have moves that work the glutes. Mine are often sore after doing these workouts! I can't remember what she calls all the different moves. It is late. I am tired and my brain isn't working properly!
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-19, 03:28 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

sounds counterintuitive, but tall box climbs are aerobic. whenever i would wear my HRM while doing tall box, my HR would skyrocket. and they definitely work the glutes. by the same token, climbing stairs/bleachers.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-19, 06:35 AM  
buffmama

forward leaning lunges, hammer punch lunges, warrior lunges, rear lunges with front knee lift
Old 07-19-19, 11:08 AM  
Hazel Porter

A couple come to mind (I'm using Cathe's terminology, because that's where I know them from): line taps, snowboards, pop squats, lunge kicks, zig zags, slam its (slammits?), power lunges (jumping switch lunges)
Old 07-19-19, 04:35 PM  
kristiep

Bob Harper a$$ burners

This is from Bob Harper's Ultimate Cardio Body workout (bonus section, I believe).

These get me good in the glutes and have a cardio effect when I get a good pace going. I have not been able to do them with the full workout because he's already fried my legs in the main workout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0YHy0t3PQo
kristiep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
low impact cardio