Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-14-19, 05:12 PM  
carole r.

Thanks for your replies. I like hearing everyone’s opinions. I like DVDs too. can’t decide which I prefer more, DVDs or purchased downloads or streaming workouts. It’s nice to find everything on my Roku or Apple TV. Subscriptions are great, but if I already own everything I want from them, then it’s not worth it, like Acacia or Crunch. Like I said, I really like Gaia, and I think if I limit myself to one service (that’s a great suggestion), they will probably be it.
Old 05-15-19, 07:04 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I am feeling the same way. I am currently subscribing to:
Walking Online Workouts
Sarah Beth Yoga
be360
The Balanced Life (but only for one month at $1)

I won't keep TBL, I am just not into it right now, although I do love Robin as a Pilates instructor. I am really loving my Bellicon, and Yoga right now, but I still love using my DVD's too. I did the yearly subscription on WOW, Sarah Beth Yoga to get the discounts, but I probably won't keep either of them when they renew.
I would love to subscribe to barre3 again, but it is pretty expensive so I am not sure about that. I agree that there are a lot of good, free workouts on YouTube as well...

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-19, 02:24 PM  
Dorothy J
VF Supporter

Reviving this thread to ask: Does Walking Online Workouts ever have deals on their subscription fees?

After reading such positive reviews here on VF, I tried a few on YT this past weekend & really enjoyed them! But I already subscribe to Peloton ($12.99/month) and Kelly's RAW ($6.99/month), so adding $9.99 to that is a little more than I want to spend on an ongoing basis, as I would be using WOW maybe twice a week at most.

"You want to go into life feeling great, feeling strong, and as you get older, feeling even stronger!" Gin Miller
Dorothy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-19, 04:45 PM  
horusosiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothy J View Post
Reviving this thread to ask: Does Walking Online Workouts ever have deals on their subscription fees?

After reading such positive reviews here on VF, I tried a few on YT this past weekend & really enjoyed them! But I already subscribe to Peloton ($12.99/month) and Kelly's RAW ($6.99/month), so adding $9.99 to that is a little more than I want to spend on an ongoing basis, as I would be using WOW maybe twice a week at most.
The only discount that I am aware of is for subscribing to the streaming service for a year. Perhaps others can chime in? Maybe you could subscribe periodically during the year to do the workouts.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-19, 05:23 PM  
horsemom2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothy J View Post

The year subscription is the best deal but you could cancel during the free trial if you decide you would not use it enough.
It took me months to get through all of her content and I still have not finished my second tour!

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-19, 06:04 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
You really have to pay attention to your subscriptions or you could end up spend a LOT of money over time. We have Netflix, Amazon Prime, PBS Passport, the WSJ, a math app for my son and I just subscribed to barre3. If I totaled all those up, we are really spending quite a bit! I think as a household you need to do a subscription audit from time to time because those charges can get out of hand.
I heard something on a news show about an app that helps track subscriptions. They said a lot of people don't check their monthly checking/credit card statements and forget about subscriptions (esp ones that renew once a year or so). This may be the app they were talking about, but I'm not sure ... https://www.truebill.com
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-19, 06:41 PM  
Dorothy J
VF Supporter

horusosiris & horsemom2--thanks for the replies!

Yes, I just need to figure out how much I want to/can spend on these services. As Nuggie's Aunt pointed out, it can start to add up. I've got my Amazon Prime, my Ancestry, my America's Test Kitchen, Peloton, KCM RAW & I'm probably leaving out something. I may just do WOW for a couple months to see how much I actually use it, then go for the yearly subscription. Ah, well...first world problems, as they say.

"You want to go into life feeling great, feeling strong, and as you get older, feeling even stronger!" Gin Miller
Dorothy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-19, 06:51 PM  
horsemom2

Remember you can pause a subscription for up to 3 months too.
I tried to skip a few months in my first year with pausing but with a new routine every week, my resolve weakened LOL

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-19, 09:23 PM  
dmlarue1

I actually love streaming

I have been doing the balanced life for 2 years now. I do the workouts and all the recipes. I just find the workouts at the balanced life are better than most of the pilates I have on DVD. Plus Robin has 10, 15 and 30 minute workouts where most pilates DVDs are an hour long which I just dont have time for. Robin also is a good balance of being challenging without killing my body and she always Includes a lot of stretching

I am not paying for it now but I also love yoga with Adrienne. A lot of her stuff is on YouTube, but I like the ones that are exclusive to her channel.

I am trying to be frugal this year and pay some things off. I had already paid for Robin so that will be it for me this year.
dmlarue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-19, 09:39 PM  
gigi

Streaming right now is totally worth it for me. I've got subscriptions to LesMills, Classical Stretch, and Cathe. The downside is no premixes but with Cathe's workout blender I can make my own. I don't have access to workout where the dvd player is at this time so streaming is a great option. I have kept my hundreds of workout dvd's (in storage) but may end up getting rid of them one day. It's hard to because it is years of investment. For me subscriptions are totally worth it!

Tags
dvds versus streaming, gym membership, streaming, subscription, subscriptions