Old 10-13-17, 10:06 PM  
DCW

Thanking everyone for their comments.
Truly enlightening!
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-17, 11:06 PM  
ronnee
VF Supporter

Between having five surgeries to try and heal a fistula (not yet, grrrrr) and menopause (had my last period in Jan 2016) I gained 16 lbs in 2 years. This summer my husband asked me to help him lose weight so he and I have embarked on it together. I'm now tracking my food, but not starving, and continuing with normal workouts (5-6 days a week of walking, 9round kickboxing, weights, etc). I've lost 4 lbs in 2 months, lol! And I am diligent! But I am going to keep going. Aiming for ten and I now realize it's just going to be slow!

For me the weight loss is all about vanity, but I do feel a bit better losing some fluff. What I have learned over the past two years is that being able to exercise is a huge mental health boon. I've always found exercise helpful for many reasons, but now, after dealing with a chronic medical condition, I cherish being able to move. That's helped me shift my body image focus a bit too.
ronnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-17, 08:10 AM  
marki64

That's great Ronnee! I agree, exercising makes a big difference on your mental health. I feels so much better when I get that workout in and take a walk. I don't know how people cannot exercise. I've watched my coworker gain about 20 lbs in the last 5 years. She never gets up from her desk. She complains of being sluggish and she says she can't sleep. I know why, but I keep my mouth shut, mainly because she says she hates exercise.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-17, 08:19 AM  
Michefit

I have appreciated everyone's post - I am 44 and hypothyroid - but being treated with natural dessicated thyroid. I have experienced heavy periods, anxiety, insomnia and weight gain in the last 4-5 years.

Some of this has been corrected with thyroid medication - but the weight will not budge. I feel that perimenopause is upon me now. I feel my clothes getting tighter and tighter. It is heartening to know that this process does end - I am encouraged by all your revelations.

It's hard to know what to do - Hiit and weights seem to be the answer - but they also exhaust you and demand longer recovery. I am still trying to find the answer for fighting the weight AND keeping the stress down and energy up.

Keep sharing stories - it helps us not feel like we are going crazy!
Michefit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-17, 08:56 AM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michefit View Post
I have appreciated everyone's post - I am 44 and hypothyroid - but being treated with natural dessicated thyroid. I have experienced heavy periods, anxiety, insomnia and weight gain in the last 4-5 years.

Some of this has been corrected with thyroid medication - but the weight will not budge. I feel that perimenopause is upon me now. I feel my clothes getting tighter and tighter. It is heartening to know that this process does end - I am encouraged by all your revelations.

It's hard to know what to do - Hiit and weights seem to be the answer - but they also exhaust you and demand longer recovery. I am still trying to find the answer for fighting the weight AND keeping the stress down and energy up.

Keep sharing stories - it helps us not feel like we are going crazy!
This is me also. I’m peri and hypo.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-17, 08:58 AM  
sophiesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCW View Post
Thanking everyone for their comments.
Truly enlightening!
My thoughts exactly! This is great info.
sophiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-17, 08:58 AM  
Terry

For about three of the M years, from about 46 to 49, I had the sugar cravings from hell. I ate well in every way possible to control cravings and munched on a ton of carrots to avoid a ton of other sugars. I still went for the bad stuff plenty of times and ate way too much of it. I gained a yellowish tent to my feet when in bright light and a 6-pound gain of pure fat around my waist by the age of 49.
During that time, I was always thinking about nothing but food and would stop to think back to a memory when my life was about way more than food. . I had about decided to go ahead and just gain 20 to 60 pounds rather than continue the misery of feeling the cravings but then they stopped.

From about 49 to just-turned-53, I kept those extra 6 pounds with a few bouts of going down then gaining it right back. At 53, I joined an outdoor boot camp class. With good eating and not even trying to cut down, the 6-pounds were gone in one 5-week camp. Better yet, I had lived with an extra inch of pregnancy thigh fat for 21 years by then, and within seven 5-week camps that was gone. Over four years later, still doing the boot camp and eating well, my thighs are an inch thinner than when I was in high school.

There are plenty of videos just as intense, and even more intense, as the live class I go to. My issue was that I worked harder in that class than ever because a trainer was watching. I pushed waaaaaay out of my comfort zone over and over again. (Not too mature for a 53-at-the-time-year-old eh! But it got the job done. )
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-17, 09:05 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I slowly but surely gained weight in my late 40s to early 50s after being slim most of my life. At the age of 56, postmenopause, I lost over 40 lbs and got down to the weight I was in my early 20s. I did change my diet, track my calories, portion control, avoiding junk and that was the key for me. I was walking daily at the time and doing short toning workouts, like MR or Core Fusion. That was 4 years ago and I have gained back a few lbs recently but it's definitely diet related. I'm still at a low weight according to the charts and I'm fine with my weight but I just don't want to keep gaining so I'm going to start being a little more diligent with my diet. So yes the weight can come off after menopause and yes it is all about the diet unfortunately. ETA -- even though Terry's story above shows a good bootcamp class can sure help
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-17, 12:44 PM  
noodles

[QUOTE=Terry;2737881]For about three of the M years, from about 46 to 49, I had the sugar cravings from hell. I ate well in every way possible to control cravings and munched on a ton of carrots to avoid a ton of other sugars. I still went for the bad stuff plenty of times and ate way too much of it. I gained a yellowish tent to my feet when in bright light and a 6-pound gain of pure fat around my waist by the age of 49.
During that time, I was always thinking about nothing but food and would stop to think back to a memory when my life was about way more than food.

Terry I feel your pain. I had horrible cravings during peri-menopause and gained 20 pounds, suddenly hated working out after years of loving it, developed horrible insomnia, migraines. ugh.... Now I'm 50 and post menopause and the weight has come off. I'm back to loving my workouts, eating well, can handle a treat once in awhile without devouring an entire cake lol! What women have to go through...men would never handle it
Jamie
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-17, 02:19 PM  
Tugger31

Not to hijack your post, but for those who gained weight (and I guess those who didn't), did menopause cause you to have high blood pressure issues too?
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
menopause, post menopause