Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-17, 04:00 PM  
CarlaVeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
There's so much good yoga on YouTube. I'd check those out before spending $99 on 30 in 30.
Thanks!! That's what I am discovering today!!!! So much amazing free content on youtube!!!

Carla
CarlaVeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-17, 04:26 PM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
There's so much good yoga on YouTube. I'd check those out before spending $99 on 30 in 30.
I think 30for30 is worth the money IF you want a set yoga rotation AND production values are important to you AND thirty minutes is your chosen length AND you love Travis and Lauren.

If all of those don't apply, there are cheaper options!

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-17, 04:37 PM  
carly

If you haven't tried Travis Eliot, the YouTube Udaya Yoga channel has two of his full workouts to try before before investing in his 30For30.

One rotation idea -commit to a 10 - 15 min daily YouTube practice with one or two longer practices mixed in when you have time. Maybe set aside an hour every Saturday to try a new instructor!

I pre download all the YouTube content l use so I can get HD without any buffering issues. I can also organize the classes in folders on my computer by type, length, fun factor, etc.
carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-17, 04:47 PM  
carly

Additional YouTube sites to try:

1. Udaya Yoga - See Yoga Teacher Playlist. There are 40 instuctors represented with clips and full workouts. Try Vytas Baskauskau, Rudy Mettia, Travis Eliot, Caley Alyssa, Calvine Corzine, Micheline Berry, Koya Webb.....all of these have DVD practices also.

2. YogaBody -Provides a 15 min yoga sequence of the day.

3. DoYouYoga - free workshops and challenges in the 10-20 min range.

4. The Yoga Collective - Full Length classes by Travis Eliot and others.

5. BoHo Fitness - Beautiful settings.

6. Heart Alchemy Yoga with Michelle Goldstein

7. Kino Yoga

Enjoy!
carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-17, 05:08 PM  
BunnyHop

I've been thinking about whatever it is that's helped me establish the habit of practicing yoga on a daily basis, and it's mostly that I don't restrict myself to doing it at any specific time, or for any particular length. Part of the yoga I do is strictly to help me limber up, the rest is to quiet my mind for meditation.

Lately, I've been practicing just before bed, since that's the one time of day I can reliably call my own. Whether I do the seven minute practice, or the extended one, with or without further meditation kind of depends on the day itself. I turn off the ceiling fan in my room, brush my teeth, wash my face, arrange my workout space, adjust the lights (and the volume on the tv if I'm using a dvd), etc., then I put down my mat and start the practice itself. I usually light a candle because it smells sort of incense-y, but it's not essential.

The little pre-yoga rituals of getting ready for it help me keep going til its done. I guess it's helpful that it's part of my pre-bedtime routine now, so I don't usually miss out.

If I'm feeling particular creaky in the mornings, I do some MELT method work and a Classical Stretch routine focusing on the hips, and a shorter yoga practice, since I do find that I'm more limber after yoga than before it.

Generally speaking, some yoga practices do seem to focus more on moves that will help limber up the bits of me that I'd need to use in a seated meditation practice. I guess that's part of the reason I like the J Brown dvd so much, when it's done I'm definitely a bit looser. Still doing my seated meditation in a chair, though, at least for now.
Old 08-15-17, 02:22 PM  
Negin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnna View Post
I need to really stretch out every morning. I use Jane Adams Gentle Yoga.
Does this one have many sun salutations? I don't like sun salutations much at all.
Thanks!
Old 08-16-17, 06:27 AM  
Rhonda

This is a timely post. I have totally fallen off the yoga/stretch wagon and need to get back on. My body feels so much better when I do it.

I have found Sarah Starr yoga on my PBS station and have been recording them but haven't even tried one. She is on Saturday mornings.

I see them in my recorded DVR list and also I have recorded Namaste Yoga from ZLiving and only touched a couple of them.

time to get back on the wagon. Just finding the time as this time of year is busy.

Again thanks for posting and some of those youtube stations sound great, I just don't have the greatest internet.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-17, 08:37 AM  
laurajhawk

If time and habit are barriers, pick two or three poses that speak to you, and find time for them every day. I remember one year when I was trying to do a 40-day everyday sadhana and things got crazy ... sometimes it was triangle and down dog, in shoes, on carpet, but I did it and it helped.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-17, 08:03 AM  
BunnyHop

As I've gone on with this practice, I find that if I do a sequence of poses including some sort of forward bend, back bend, side to side and a twist, with a few knees to the chest and/or corpse poses interspersed, that it seems complete enough, however short it might be. Seated, standing, hands and knees, on my back, whatever. Just making time to breathe, move, and recover.

That one idea has kept me practicing quite regularly (except yesterday when I truly felt ill and just did corpse pose in bed. ) .

Sure, if I have time for a longer practice that's seated, standing, face down, face up, etc, and a meaningful amount of time in corpse pose, with a seated meditation to follow, that's great, but a short practice is still a practice.

And sometimes, like today, I did a short practice and a short seated meditation.
Old 08-21-17, 08:14 AM  
sherry7899

Anna-I like the idea of making up your own sequence . I have never done that. I've always followed dvd's or you tube.

I hope you are feeling much better today-hugs!

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
namaste yoga, restarting, yoga