Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-01-17, 12:25 PM  
Tugger31

I def think I can get back to doing higher INTENSITY just need to progress slowly but surely. I can't however, do high IMPACT, anymore it just bothers my joints.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-17, 12:38 PM  
Betty Boop

I was doing varied and various workouts for some time, but none with weights or even bodyweight strengthening. Until -- a couple of months ago I could swear that someone had lowered the height of all the toilet seats. I finally realized that I must have lost substantial muscle tone in my quadricep muscles. Scary but easily remedied, and the toilet seat is back to its regular height.

I am much older than most of you. I knew that it becomes easier to lose muscle tone as you age, but didn't realize how it applied to me. I'm back to weights -- am doing Lauren's kettlebells now and can see my strength increasing each day. It was my fault for getting lazy.

I'm focusing on walking for cardio and weight training with dumbbells/kettlebells. I prefer that the toilet seat not move again.
Old 04-01-17, 01:27 PM  
cherimac

Just turned 52 and haven't had a cycle 9 months. I lost weight when I switched to lower intensity-walking and Pilates. I tried to add in a day or two of HIIT last spring/summer and gained. (Real weight, not water, etc.) Everyone is totally different.
Old 04-01-17, 01:46 PM  
Tugger31

Betty, glad you are getting stronger again. Often times it's the posterior muscle chain that weakens moreso as we age. Not saying this is your case, but working the glutes also helps with the height of the toilet as well I found I got much stronger and better posture by really squeezing the glutes during squats. It wasn't til I did this that I realized how I was really working my quads more and I definitely had a muscle imbalance.

I never realized how so many people have stooped postures and flat butts b/c of weakness and muscle atrophy of the whole backside of the body in most people. Sadly, this wasn't just true in the more elderly population. I started seeing it in people in their 20's as well once I knew what to look for.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-17, 10:36 PM  
TinaT

I'm 52 and noticed how hard it was to get down to the floor and back up again. It was if I had lost all coordination?? I'm starting to feel like my old self again since getting back to weights. My lower body has really lost a lot of muscle. But I'm starting to see it come back slowly. I can't remember the last time I was this consistent with my workouts and intake. Just focusing on today really helps.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-17, 07:16 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
Betty, glad you are getting stronger again. Often times it's the posterior muscle chain that weakens moreso as we age. Not saying this is your case, but working the glutes also helps with the height of the toilet as well I found I got much stronger and better posture by really squeezing the glutes during squats. It wasn't til I did this that I realized how I was really working my quads more and I definitely had a muscle imbalance.

I never realized how so many people have stooped postures and flat butts b/c of weakness and muscle atrophy of the whole backside of the body in most people. Sadly, this wasn't just true in the more elderly population. I started seeing it in people in their 20's as well once I knew what to look for.
I see this all of the time, the stooped postures and flat butts. You are right, it is not just in older people
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-17, 10:50 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Don't get me started... my pet peeve in the whole world.. poor posture!!! If only people (of all ages) realized the benefits of good posture. Not only aesthetically, but strength and mobility wise too. I sometimes wonder why SO many people have poor posture... years of habit, muscle imbalance, weakness in the core??? Maybe all of the above.

I'm 60, and well past menopause. I haven't seen any changes except good ones. I did start doing a few things differently, but my reasons were just due to life circumstances of now being on my own, I could experiment with a different way of eating and a different way of working out.

I know we can't discuss diet here, but I went from a diet of "moderation" in everything, to cutting out certain things in my diet that I felt weren't doing me any good. Then I quit working out at home and started attending a HIIT bootcamp twice a day and strength training with a personal trainer. I can tell you that I am more muscular and defined at 60 than I have ever been in my life. I also have more energy and stamina. I attribute this to four main things... HIIT bootcamp, heavy strength training, good nutrition and lots of excellent sleep.
Old 04-02-17, 12:54 PM  
marki64

I am always baffled by posts where people claim that high intensity exercise made them gain weight. I don't think so. I am certainly not a scientist, but I don't get that. It is logical to me that food makes you gain weight, not exercise. I think as we age, we certainly can't eat how we use to, but I don't think a good boot camp workout will make you fat. If you eat a ton of food afterwards, well, that might be the problem.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-17, 01:09 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki64 View Post
I am always baffled by posts where people claim that high intensity exercise made them gain weight. I don't think so. I am certainly not a scientist, but I don't get that. It is logical to me that food makes you gain weight, not exercise. I think as we age, we certainly can't eat how we use to, but I don't think a good boot camp workout will make you fat. If you eat a ton of food afterwards, well, that might be the problem.
I think that is the problem- higher intensity for a lot of people make them hungrier & they eat more.

This is an interesting thread because I'm curious what might help me shed some menopause pounds myself. I have been focused on Pilates for awhile & love the feeling, but I rarely do cardio & think I need to. I'm adding in some dream body & seeing how it goes.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-17, 01:13 PM  
blzgrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki64 View Post
From what I understand based on things I've read, the hormonal changes that happen during perimenopause/menopause cause the body to interpret high intensity exercise as stress, resulting in the body holding on to fat. (The relationship between stress and weight gain is widely known.) There's cortisol and insulin involvement, etc., that someone else can better explain than I, but I have talked to (or read about) several women who have found that when they lowered their exercise intensity (or cut back on high intensity) they lost weight.
blzgrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debra atkinson, flipping 50, menopause, my fitness pal, over 50