Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-17, 06:25 AM  
Tugger31

Question Menopause and type of Cardio

I have been reading some studies on the best kind of exercise to do during menopause, to help combat fat loss in particular. Studies pretty much said to make strength training a part of your routine to help maintain lean muscle mass (and strength) and to help preserve bone density. As far as cardio, many studies agreed that interval cardio (the intensity was based on percentage of V02 max) was better in menopause than steady state.

Any thoughts or experiences? I've been trying to back down on intensity due to fatigue and I've definitely not made much progress in the fat loss dept. (I know we can't discuss diet particulars, but the study also suggested cutting back calories by about 200 per day during menopause)
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-17, 06:53 AM  
Michefit

Hi Tugger31 - am in perminopause and dealing with low thyroid. The inches have been creeping up on me and it is so disheartening in spite of working out consistently and watching diet. I do TA streaming workouts along with dance cardio and they are tough and I really enjoy the variety. However the lack of lower body weight and ONLY steady state cardio does not seem to be doing it anymore.

Recently I have gone back to some Tonique Express workouts - this are some of the hardest toning plus cardio workouts I have done (and I been a Cathe devotee for years as well) They range from only 16-25 minutes of pure intensity. They are low impact mostly except for a few plyo moves throughout.

These along with some proper Thyroid medication have seem to finally tip the balance in losing inches. THANK GOD! I would consider these to be high intensity and they are tough but only last a short time. I do them 2-3x a week along with the other workouts I enjoy. Just thought I would mention them - if it's not Tonique maybe its just some short/intense a few times a week that will make a difference.
HTH
Michefit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-17, 08:36 AM  
TinaT

I've been in this season of life for at least 2 yrs now. In early Feb I started working out again. I started with Piyo. It helped me with form and understanding body weight exercises better, but I soon felt the need for weights. Since then, I have gone back to the FIRM. I really do agree that having weights somewhere in the routine really helps maintain and rebuild muscle tone. I will reach my 8 week time line on the 9th, where I'll measure and weight myself again. (I do this every 4 weeks). The first 4 weeks I lost 7 lbs and 18 inches over all.

I wear a Polar HR Monitor to track my HR and calorie burn. Using weights really makes a difference in how much I burn, etc. Just 3 lb weights ups my HR significantly. In fact, when doing a FIRM cardio routine, I will remove the short step from the routine but always keep the weights in order to keep my HR in the zone.

Yes the big "D" word is a part of my fitness regiment as well. Everyone's life is different, so find something you can live with long term. Good luck ~

ETA: I also use the "My Fitness Pal" app to track diet and exercise. It's a great tool and really gave me a shocking "wake me up" moment when I saw my intake. It can help with a reasonable plan for your specific goals. Something to check out. I use the free version and it gives me everything I need.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-17, 08:41 AM  
marki64

I know a lot of people here don't like intensity in their workouts, but I have found intensity blast with weights/body toning to be the best. I also incorporate regular dog walks. As far as food goes, moderation, moderation moderation. It works!
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-17, 08:54 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I am a big fan of rebounding. I am 53, and I just can't do the high impact, high intensity cardio workouts that I used to do. I find that rebounding allows me to do the cardio moves that I love, with little impact. I started with an Urban rebounder, and last year I bought a 49" Bellicon. One of the best fitness investments I have made! I do mostly Barre, and Pilates for strength work with light weights. I don't d*** never have. I believe in moderation.
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-17, 10:00 AM  
Gale K.
VF Supporter

Debra Atkinson of Flipping Fifty promotes short (20 mins or less) interval cardio workouts for menopausal women. I like her approach to both fitness and nutrition for menopause, and she seems to base it on solid research. She has a lot of info on youtube, etc.

The winds of grace are blowing all the time--all we need to do is raise our sails.
-Rama Krishna, as quoted by Baron Baptiste
Gale K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-17, 10:37 AM  
Tugger31

Thanks for the comments. I will check out the Flipping 50 info. I do think I need to start upping my weights again and also slowly building my endurance again for some shorter, but more intense workouts. I find now that I'm older that when I slack on the weights I become much softer much more quickly than when I was in my 20s and 30s. This morning I did the Low Impact HiiT from Cathe's RWH. I had to pause a few times and I didn't keep up with her speed/reps for a few moves and that is okay. It felt good to do something a little more intense, but yet low impact. In my research I also read that one of the biggest mistakes alot of women make is cutting back on intensity. I know that given the fatigue I know I feel at times, it is easy to do. But, I think I sometimes find myself using that as a crutch and not always pushing myself when I know realistically I could have.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-17, 10:56 AM  
lizh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaT View Post
I have gone back to the FIRM. I really do agree that having weights somewhere in the routine really helps maintain and rebuild muscle tone. I will reach my 8 week time line on the 9th, where I'll measure and weight myself again. (I do this every 4 weeks). The first 4 weeks I lost 7 lbs and 18 inches over all.
These are impressive results! I'm a long time "FIRM"er and have been having such a hard time getting myself back in the exercise groove. I am going to start again today and try to keep consistent. One day at time!
Liz
lizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-17, 11:03 AM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
Thanks for the comments. I will check out the Flipping 50 info. I do think I need to start upping my weights again and also slowly building my endurance again for some shorter, but more intense workouts. I find now that I'm older that when I slack on the weights I become much softer much more quickly than when I was in my 20s and 30s. This morning I did the Low Impact HiiT from Cathe's RWH. I had to pause a few times and I didn't keep up with her speed/reps for a few moves and that is okay. It felt good to do something a little more intense, but yet low impact. In my research I also read that one of the biggest mistakes alot of women make is cutting back on intensity. I know that given the fatigue I know I feel at times, it is easy to do. But, I think I sometimes find myself using that as a crutch and not always pushing myself when I know realistically I could have.
I've gone back to mostly barre for lower body, but I've been incorporating the short ZGym kettlebell workouts in for cardio, and also walking. It seems to be working.

~Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-17, 12:02 PM  
IceQueen07

I am 51 and in menopause and can't do high intensity anymore, knees just aren't able to handle it. I have notice the weight and inches are harder to keep off now. I just recently started rebounding and am really addicted to it and started back with weights and it seems to be helping. I need to find some good rebounding workouts.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debra atkinson, flipping 50, menopause, my fitness pal, over 50