Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-09-17, 12:36 PM  
Garrie A.

I love Step ! I'm a male VFer who loves both basic and complex choreography. Here are my favorites:

Basic choreography:
-The Firm Cardio Step Mix--has nine of my favorite Firm MIs, and a wide variety of cardio step routines. The main cardio phase is about 47 minutes, and is mostly moderate steady-state intensity. There's also several four-limbed routines in it using light dumbbells.
-Karen Voight's Energy Sprint--While the main workout is 80 minutes, the warmup, lower body toning, cardio part, and cooldown make a great hour long workout. An oldie but goodie.
-Step Reebok Circuit Challenge (Gin Miller)--divided into three 10-minute circuit cycles, each alternating one minute of stepping with one minute of upper body strength training using weights or tubing.
-Step Reebok Best of Step TV (Gin Miller, only on VHS)--"G Miller Craaaaaazzzzzzy Arms" anyone?
-Tracie Long's Step Forward--basic yet varied choreography that also includes lower body endurance training
-Keli Roberts Ultimate Step (only on VHS)--a nice basic but varied basic step workout

Medium level choreography:
-The Method's Step Up To Dance (led by Lisa Wheeler)--this was the first non-Firm step workout I tried, and while it took several tries to learn the choreography, it is a lot of fun. It's great for diving into more complex step. Lisa cues fairly well for the most part. There's also a tough Pilates-based ab series and yoga-based cooldown.
-Cathe Friedrich Step Jam--the first Cathe workout I ever did, which helped me conquer my fear of her (back in November of last year). I have it on her Classics DVD, which also includes Step Heat and Step Max (haven't done Step Max yet). If you get past the dated look and Cathe's whooping, it's a great high intermediate level step workout, and a great way to learn Cathe step.

More complex step:
-Cathe Step Blast. I love the combos, and the music rocks!
-Cathe Cardio & Weights. Love the music, combos are fun, and you also get weight training and core work in about an hour.

I ordered an oldie Step Reebok VHS a week ago which came in the mail today--Step Rhythm and Moves (led by Petra Kolber). I can't wait to try it!
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Retro Rotation!!

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-17, 12:41 PM  
Garrie A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus2woman View Post
Does The Firm's Ballroom Aerobics count? I've not much room for a full step, so this suits my space. It's 45 minutes of aerobics, including dance steps on the short step and light dumbbells for four-limbed movements. I happen to love the music and am not sure what level, beginner/intermediate/advanced it is.
I'd say it's high beginner-low intermediate. Makes a great "light day" workout. I'm one of the few who love the ballroom segments in the Tortoise and Hare videos. While they recommend a 4 inch step, you can use a 6 or 8 inch step (for the most part). But for the waltzes (especially the fast waltz segment from Hare), I'd recommend a 4 or 6 inch step. You don't want to trip when Tracie cues (waltz, 2, 3, step a-duck) LOL! (Ok, I know she's saying step adduct, but if you're not listening closely she might say step a-duck.)
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Retro Rotation!!

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-17, 01:35 PM  
marki64

All of Amy's ASC's
Sharon Twombly's Athletic Step Jam
KCM Ready, Step Go and Cardio Blast (premix w/drills)
Tracy Staehle's High Intensity Step Mix (I think that's the name).
Cathe's Step Blast.
Christi Taylor's Step Heaven and can't remember the name of the other one on fantastic 4 with the balloons).
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-17, 02:10 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Mine are:

- Kathy Kaehler's Basic Step workout class (very basic, but pretty good imo, love the floor work and stretch at the end)
- KCM's 30MTF Step Boxing (love both workouts, high in fun factor, music is not the best)
- Cathe's Imax 2 (great music, fun and intense, the blasts in between the step combos are not joke!).

I recently got Patrick G's Quickstep, but I haven't try it yet. I also got another with a local instructor (in French) and looks pretty good too. I've and tried Christie's Totally Cool Step 2, she lost me two minutes in.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-17, 02:20 PM  
cooldham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily B View Post
I actually love the step workouts on The Gymbox streaming service. There are 30 minute step workouts that have more basic choreography and 60 minutes with advanced choreo. It's $10/month, but there are so many different workouts in there that it is worth it to me.
Totally agree with this! I find the cueing quite good.
Old 02-09-17, 03:18 PM  
bfit

For basic stepping I like Gilad's step aerobics workout and also Kathy Smith's old Buns and Thighs workout. Those are about 30 minutes each. For longer basic workouts I like Gin Miller's Simply Step (although there is a lot of taking it from the top in that one) and Debra Mazda's step workout. For something more complicated I like step boxing. Caribbean Workout has some step boxing and also Kelly Coffey Meyer.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-17, 08:18 AM  
firmaniac

oooh how much do I love Step Forward by Tracie Long, and Go by Kari Anderson, and Fat Blasting Cardio & Advanced Cardio Blast w/ Lisa Kay of The FIRM?????? These four keep me happy year after year. The FIRM duo clock at 35 minutes. They are intermediate, which is why I rely on them. I can "amp" things up for more burn/sweat if I want. Step is my favorite form of cardio along with '4 limb', and this last 6 months has been a challenge due to a condition & new meds which affected my ankles (side effects of the meds). I was going to get Gin Miller's KUSHH padded step butt then a dear friend sent me a FIRM ZIP Trainer pink gumball and wowsa! I'm doing all my step on it for now, or using the 6 inch platform step that comprises The FIRM TransFIRMer bench step set. Step makes me soooo happy!

Please visit 'The FIRM Ephemera Scrapbook' on facebook for a visual history of The FIRM
firmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-17, 08:35 AM  
bubbles76

• Amy Bento ASC2 - hands down, all time favorite step workout
  • All of Christi Taylor's step workouts
  • Believe it or not, Cathe's step workouts from 4DS. I know I'm alone in this
  • Kari Anderson Hot Steps - soft spot for this one. The first step workout I did.
  • Tracey Staehle Steady State Step - loved this one, but it's been awhile. I will have to try it again to see if it holds up.
  • Tracie Long Step Forward

I know there are others, as step is my favorite form of cardio, but I can't think of them right now.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-17, 08:58 AM  
Indy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
  • Amy Bento ASC2 - hands down, all time favorite step workout
  • All of Christi Taylor's step workouts
  • Believe it or not, Cathe's step workouts from 4DS. I know I'm alone in this
  • Kari Anderson Hot Steps - soft spot for this one. The first step workout I did.

I know there are others, as step is my favorite form of cardio, but I can't think of them right now.
I'm so with you on a lot of these!!!

I do Love Amy Bento's ASC2 as well but it is not my all time favorite step workout but this can never get boring.
Also in love with Christi's step and I love Christi.
You are so not alone on 4DS - I think the step in this is totally fun.
I'm a huge fan of Kari Anderson - and I love Hot Steps - I don't do it now because of the repetitive break down and Tifting but I thought it was the best step ever when it came out.

Also gotta love Seasun Zigler. I have all of her step as well. Also going to add Rebecca Small - I binged on buying all her Evolution videos and I think she's the greatest.

As you can see, Step is obviously my favorite form of cardio.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-17, 09:35 AM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily B View Post
I actually love the step workouts on The Gymbox streaming service. There are 30 minute step workouts that have more basic choreography and 60 minutes with advanced choreo. It's $10/month, but there are so many different workouts in there that it is worth it to me.
I'll have to look into this. I did several Gymbox workouts available through Amazon Prime in the past couple of years, but I've noticed that many of the workouts I did are no longer available through Amazon prime. I really liked their kickboxing and strength workouts, too!

Tags
animals in background, favorite step, step, step forward