Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-08-16, 02:40 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO View Post
Bunnyhop, do you have a smart phone? You can put the mp3s on there.

There are a lot of good small speakers that you can use over bluetooth, or use an auxiliary cord with- it goes from the headphone jack to the speaker- costs about $5. Interestingly, the really cheap ones that came from big lots/Ross work as well or better than a few of the mid priced models we bought. Depends on how picky you are about sound quality- we are only mediumly picky.
No smartphone, which I guess is most of the problem, LOL!! We have a land line for lots of reasons, and the cell phone I keep in my purse for emergencies is just a basic phone, not smart.
Old 12-08-16, 02:42 PM  
BunnyHop

Made it out to the book store today, and got the new Valdemar short story paper back.

Also remembered to get a calendar for the office so we can keep track of appointments next year.
Old 12-08-16, 03:13 PM  
PhyllisG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
No smartphone, which I guess is most of the problem, LOL!! We have a land line for lots of reasons, and the cell phone I keep in my purse for emergencies is just a basic phone, not smart.

Me too. We have to have a landline to run our alarm systems thru and the credit card machine. Cell phone is in my purse for emergencies. Basic flip phone.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-16, 07:38 PM  
firmiewannabe

I'm trying a new-to-me mystery series by Kate Ellis. It's the Merchant's House in the Wesley Peterson series set in England. I'm half ways thru it, it's holding my attention and I have NO clue who is the killer so that makes a good mystery read for me!
firmiewannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-16, 08:17 PM  
JezthePuff2

Quote:
Thank you SO much! I'd been hunting and hunting with no success.
You're welcome. I hope it works for you. I really like ours. I put relaxing music or an audio book on it so I can listen while I'm soaking in the whirlpool.

~~~Well behaved women rarely make history.~~~
JezthePuff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-16, 09:11 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by JezthePuff2 View Post
You're welcome. I hope it works for you. I really like ours. I put relaxing music or an audio book on it so I can listen while I'm soaking in the whirlpool.
Audiobooks! Great idea.

I do wish it had an adapter so you could just plug it in the wall for power. Not sure how I feel about the battery thing. I'm guessing it recharges the way my MP3 player does, so it's probably not a big deal, but still.

I guess what I want is a desktop MP3 player, large enough to just sit there like an actual stereo? Maybe I'm old fashioned, LOL!
Old 12-09-16, 01:16 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
A lot of small bluetooth speakers can be used with the auxiliary cord from the headphone jack of your mp3 player. Maybe pick up a 5-15 model and an aux from big lots - or even last Christmas they had a bunch at Kohls (shaped like star wars characters and they had decent sound.) Give it a try.

Listening to Wizard of Earthsea- for some reason, I'm not getting the love this book gets. Was it one of the first wizard dragon books for kids?

Also listening to Breakdown by Kellerman- and this one has me hooked.

Was half way through Love, Loss and What We Ate- by Lakshmi- i didn't know anything about her other than she was married to Salman Rushdie. I'm on hold to get it back- actually reading this one.

Also reading/ listening to Modern Poisons- got this through NetGalley- it's a book about toxicology and looks like it is supposed to be a popular science book. But, I'm pretty sure that someone without a good knowledge of chemistry won't get much out of it. (unless they read it like a textbook, with notes and a marker.) This is a subject I'm quite familiar with, but not an expert. Probably best for someone with a chemistry or biology background who wants to be an activist or people who work in industry who want a realistic perspective on how chemicals affect us, industry PR people. So far, it doesn't seem to have a strong bias- despite the name. But, I'm 1/4 of the way through.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-16, 08:36 AM  
sherry7899

I picked up two reserves from the library:

-Lauren Graham "Talking as Fast as I Can"

-Wendy Walker "All is not Forgotten" which is psychological suspense

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-16, 09:27 AM  
sherry7899

I finished the Lauren Graham book, which I mainly skimmed. It was a quick and shallow read, to be honest.

I read all of "All is Not Forgotten" which was engrossing, but a little slow . I think it could have been about 30 or 40 pages shorter.

ETA-"All is Not Forgotten" is being made into a movie. I'm not sure I could watch it, though (the main topic is the rape of a teenager. It was hard enough to read).

I finished "Watching Edie" which is another library loan. The author is Camilla Way. It is a British psychological suspense book, and yet another one told in flashbacks by different characters until you get to the big "event" from the past that brought on what is going on in the present day....sigh...it seems like most psychological suspense books are being told in this way now. I think it was worth the read, though.

I just started the Irish author Cathy Kelly's latest book "Secrets of a Happy Marriage." I always enjoy her books.

Sherry

Old 12-24-16, 09:28 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I am reading Kelly Rimmer's book "A Mother's Confession." It is quite a difficult read due to the subject matter, but I do want to finish it and see how the story resolves. I have a deep dislike for one of the main characters, so it is hard to read her parts. The book is told in two different points of view.

I have "All the Breaking Waves" by Kerry Lonsdale to read next. I really liked her first book "Everything We Keep" so I am eager to start this one.

Sherry
I finished both of the above and recommend both of them.

Sherry

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, winter reading