Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-28-16, 08:49 AM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula View Post
She told me not to even try to diet. When I lamented I was gaining weight and my clothes didn't fit she told me to buy a bigger size. She said don't try to lose now, just eat healthy and keep up regular exercise.
Woo hoo - shopping here I come!

Just kidding, I have more than enough

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-16, 10:30 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Cheri, the day that I brought my warehouse-sized stash of no longer needed maxi pads, midi pads, mini pads, liners, and tampons in three sizes to the women's shelter was a grand day. There is definitely a light at the end of the tunnel.
WooHoo! I have an almost 19 yo DD who inherits all of mine.
Old 10-28-16, 10:55 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

Quote:
I am 65 and well past menopause. But when I was in your situation my doctor (who was a female) gave me some good advice. She told me not to even try to diet. When I lamented I was gaining weight and my clothes didn't fit she told me to buy a bigger size. She said don't try to lose now, just eat healthy and keep up regular exercise. You won't lose weight while your hormones are changing and you'll just get discouraged and you'll give up trying. She told me to wait until she told me I could diet. I went up two sizes and didn't like the way I looked but I did as she suggested. When she said, "now you can diet" after I was through menopause the weight came off easily. I'm grateful for her sage advice.
This sounds like very sensible advice! I will remember this for future use!
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-16, 11:07 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
I am 65 and well past menopause. But when I was in your situation my doctor (who was a female) gave me some good advice. She told me not to even try to diet. When I lamented I was gaining weight and my clothes didn't fit she told me to buy a bigger size. She said don't try to lose now, just eat healthy and keep up regular exercise. You won't lose weight while your hormones are changing and you'll just get discouraged and you'll give up trying. She told me to wait until she told me I could diet. I went up two sizes and didn't like the way I looked but I did as she suggested. When she said, "now you can diet" after I was through menopause the weight came off easily. I'm grateful for her sage advice.
Great advice!

Menopause fat loss - what to prioritize?

Patience! It took a few years to get through puberty so you'll have to be patient as your body does it's menopause thing. I got rid of all my smaller sizes, bought bigger sizes and then had to buy smaller sizes again.

Try to stay consistent with moderate workouts that you like. Keep the calorie intake moderate too. Don't make any drastic or overambitious changes to your workouts or eating that might set you up for over-eating or over-exercising.

Keep visitng VF to get motivation and inspiration.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-16, 11:44 AM  
Fitstick

Quote:
This is interesting. My doctor said that I had gained over 10 pounds since my last visit and that I need to focus on a clean diet or will be in a worse position as time goes by if I keep letting it go. She does not want to see me next year and have to ask me to lose 20 pounds, she wants me to start now. I know there are opportunities for me to tighten up my diet, I love sweets and like drinking wine. How did you or your doctor know when it was time to focus on diet?
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-16, 11:50 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Yet another one who lost all the perimenopause weight I gained and then some after menopause. I did have to really control what I ate though, mostly portion control and I had to restrict the sweets and carbs while in weight loss mode even though in maintenance I do eat a little more of each now but certainly still monitor it. I basically briskly walked daily and did either Core Fusion or MR type workouts a few times a week, so definitely nothing too intense. I lost over 40 lbs at 56 years old and I'm another one who got back to the weight and size I was in my early 20s, I guess a set point that my body returned to once I was eating better and moving consistently. I have maintained this weightloss for 3 years now, occasionally going up a few lbs but always catching it before it gets out of control.

The short answer is the diet/food part is definitely the priority. Hang in there. There is a light at the end of the tunnel for sure.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-16, 11:51 AM  
Erica H.

I am in perimenopause now (almost 10 months without a period) and my weight was fine until my 49th birthday and then I suddenly started gaining weight quickly even though my eating was actually better and my workouts were good. I can't afford an entire new wardrobe so I cut back on calories which did work, but I'm starving all the time and am struggling to manage on fewer calories (this week I went back to my old way of eating and can tell I've gained again). So frustrating.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-16, 12:13 PM  
sharkee

BOY I can so relate to all of this. Struggling to lose 10 lbs is SOOOO hard
Old 10-28-16, 12:16 PM  
hotncmom

Thanks for all the encouragement. I'm not ready to buy new clothes just yet!

I've decided to start Whole 30. I know we're not supposed to talk about diet, but I'd really like to try it for a month and see what happens. I'm making a list of foods I like and planning ahead. I took my "before" picture this morning.

The good news is, I don't drink alcohol (well, only on vacation) or caffeine, and I rarely eat desserts. It's going to be hard but not as hard as it is for some people I imagine. I don't eat a lot of dairy (just one greek yogurt for snack per day), so finding something to fill that snack void will be difficult.

I was really hoping for someone to chime in and tell me that Kundalini is a magic menopause fat bullet I don't think I'll ever go back to more traditional weight workouts or AWT. I just don't like them. I much prefer bodyweight workouts like barre, yoga, and Pilates.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-16, 12:20 PM  
hotncmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkee View Post
BOY I can so relate to all of this. Struggling to lose 10 lbs is SOOOO hard
I think I might be up 15 lbs now I went a whole 10 months without a period and just had a little spotting last week. So I guess my countdown starts again the longest I'd been before that was 6 months. I actually have a DD who is almost 12 so I'm wondering if her emerging puberty hormones are conflicting with my menopause hormone changes. I have heard the process of menopause described as puberty in reverse.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
menopause