Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-11-16, 08:28 AM  
flamingoo

Ballet Beautiful?

Just curious if anyone is still doing Ballet Beautiful. Are you using them as add -on's or your main workout? I'm doing TA right now and determined to finish but I miss the calmness of BB and just trying to figure out how to incorporate it more without over training. Thanks!
flamingoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-16, 03:41 PM  
lingo10

I still do it, 3-4 times a week. I use the streaming option so I have some of my favorites readily available in the workout library. I usually tack on 2-3 10-15 minute blasters onto my other workout I do for the day, like if I feel I need a little extra.

especially the leg ones and swan arms

FT25 Alpha, Beta, Gamma Grad 4/14
Insanity Grad 8/14
Insanity Max 30 Grad 3/15, 2x Grad 11/15
Current Programs/Workouts: Caroline Girvan's Iron Series & Other Mixed Workouts.
lingo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-16, 06:49 AM  
flamingoo

Thank you! How do you like her cardio workouts? Are they enough? I'm looking for something low impact that will get my heart rate up.
Old 03-12-16, 11:53 AM  
GypsyRose

Ballet Beautiful is my favorite workout ever and I did 5-6 times a week for 7 months. At first, I focused exclusively on the Mat workouts, adding in daily walking. I had great results- inches lost, with strength and flexibility gains. At about 3 months, I added in a lot of standing and cardio work. My endurance increased but I began to gain weight and inches. Plus, I started to have intense hip and sciatic pain.

Looking back, I realized that I was doing too much of the same thing. My hips were always in turnout which caused the pain. As I upped the Ballet Beautiful cardio, I walked less. The cardio was harder, but the walking may have burned more calories.

After a 4 month break from exercise (except walking), I've started adding in Ballet Beautiful mat workouts every other day, 15 minutes here or there. Right now, I'm doing a Pilates month long challenge to strengthen my core and then will focus again ballet. But not everyday!

This was just my experience, so it may not apply to you. Hope this helps
GypsyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-16, 01:27 PM  
topfitmama

I still do Ballet Beautiful too. I've been doing more Sleek Technique lately, but Mary Helen is my go-to for floor work. I like her cardio too, but I only do a handful of them. I can't do the jumping because she moves too fast and I hurt my knees, but the low impact ones are great. You have to pay a lot of attention to form and, in my experience, it's worth taking it slowly, getting the form down properly and then doing it at your pace, for as many reps as you can do with good form.
Floor work, especially bridges, those leg lifts for the bum and her outer thigh work, really help with my glutes and upper thighs. She doesn't make me ache in a bad way, but I've never done more than 1-2 short blasts at a time.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-16, 08:28 AM  
flamingoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyRose View Post
Ballet Beautiful is my favorite workout ever and I did 5-6 times a week for 7 months. At first, I focused exclusively on the Mat workouts, adding in daily walking. I had great results- inches lost, with strength and flexibility gains. At about 3 months, I added in a lot of standing and cardio work. My endurance increased but I began to gain weight and inches. Plus, I started to have intense hip and sciatic pain.

Looking back, I realized that I was doing too much of the same thing. My hips were always in turnout which caused the pain. As I upped the Ballet Beautiful cardio, I walked less. The cardio was harder, but the walking may have burned more calories.

After a 4 month break from exercise (except walking), I've started adding in Ballet Beautiful mat workouts every other day, 15 minutes here or there. Right now, I'm doing a Pilates month long challenge to strengthen my core and then will focus again ballet. But not everyday!

This was just my experience, so it may not apply to you. Hope this helps

Funny- I noticed similar when I had to stop walking because of weather and foot issues. Sadly, I'm not able to do this yet. I think the repetitive back and forth motion really bothers my foot. Do you find that pilates is helping strengthen your core more than BB?
Old 03-13-16, 08:30 AM  
flamingoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfitmama View Post
I still do Ballet Beautiful too. I've been doing more Sleek Technique lately, but Mary Helen is my go-to for floor work. I like her cardio too, but I only do a handful of them. I can't do the jumping because she moves too fast and I hurt my knees, but the low impact ones are great. You have to pay a lot of attention to form and, in my experience, it's worth taking it slowly, getting the form down properly and then doing it at your pace, for as many reps as you can do with good form.
Floor work, especially bridges, those leg lifts for the bum and her outer thigh work, really help with my glutes and upper thighs. She doesn't make me ache in a bad way, but I've never done more than 1-2 short blasts at a time.

Thank you! Are you talking about the leg lifts from her blast series( on all 4's?) Those are killer!
Old 03-13-16, 01:24 PM  
lingo10

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingoo View Post
Thank you! Are you talking about the leg lifts from her blast series( on all 4's?) Those are killer!
yeah the butt series gets you after a while lol

Insanity Grad 8/14
Current Programs/Workouts: Caroline Girvan's Iron Series & Other Mixed Workouts.
Old 03-13-16, 01:27 PM  
lingo10

She has the low impact, fluid movement ones like sugarplum, skyline, postnatal cardio, bikini blast, swan arms cardio, etc. But there is also one that really gets my heart going (not intense like insanity or les mills kickboxing) but it goes keep you moving, its the Cardio: Allegra.

Im not too much a fan of the cardio as I do love the movements and toning but on days when I dont feel like working out, I will just do Cardio Allegra with something else and feel great.

Insanity Grad 8/14

Tags
ballet beautiful, swan arms